Two – The Unknown

Infernal Saga (I & II)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two – The Unknown

 

Pounding herbs and mixing raw potions preoccupied Yixing these days. He resigned from being an instructor in the Garnlok Academy and just focused in learning the ways of healing. He would always be in his hut, planting medicinal plants, watering them and even making cooling creams for common wounds.  The only time he leaves his home was when Chen invites him over Luhan’s hut to eat. The other mage knew this, so it was quite a surprise to see him waiting outside his hut.

Yixing was holding a small sprout of chrysanthemum then, and when he saw Chen there, the pleasant morning turned dull and bitter. He turned his back on him, crouching on his new plant box.

“Is there anything I can do for you?” he asked bluntly, no greetings at all.

Chen watched him plant the sprout carefully, watering the baby plant with care. “Come join us for breakfast.”

Yixing turned to his other chores, weeding the old plant box and putting the trash in a sack. “How many rejections would you like to get for you to understand that I’m not interested eating with the likes of you.”

Chen frowned, taking a deep breath before putting his hands behind him. “I know you’re upset Yixing—“

“I’m not upset,” the other scoffed, “I’m furious.” At last, the healer’s attention was on him. He put down the last weed he plucked before standing, facing him. “I’m furious, I’m disappointed, I’m grieving, Chen!” he exclaimed, the feelings he’s been burying all this time bursted out.

“I knew nothing about Baekhyun being one of the Celestials alright, but I know one thing,” Yixing fisted his hands, trying to stop it from trembling, “He’s like a brother to me!” he breathed out, “And I don’t know where to put my anger because there’s nothing I can do now. He’s gone.”

“I understand but you don’t have to be this way, Xing,”

“I don’t how to go back to my old self, Chen.” Yixing snapped, “Because everytime I go back to that academy, I kept seeing him and I kept on thinking that if I didn’t help him that day, if I didn’t bring him to you, none of this would have happen. He wouldn’t have to die.”

“It’s bound to happen, Xing,” Chen said, “He knew it would happen sooner or later, the moment he made that curse.” Yixing couldn’t help it so he let his tears flow so Chen continued, “Only a few of us knew the real story and I told you everything because I don’t want to lie when you’re like this.”

Chen stepped forward, putting his hand on his friend’s shoulder and squeezed it, “I hated myself too, because I couldn’t stop it. I couldn’t stop him.” Yixing let his head rest on Chen’s shoulders, “But he chose that, Yixing. He chose to save us, so let us just be thankful, okay? He wouldn’t want you to be like this, okay?”

 

Chen took them both inside the hut, making some raspberry tea from Yixing’s kitchen and served them. Yixing finally calmed down and he was glad that he was able to help him get that awful feeling out of his system. Though his eyes were still puffy and red, Chen was finally able to see some light in them.

“I didn’t know that you worked for the Celestials,” Yixing chuckled, “How old are you?” he teased.

“Don’t ask,” Chen smirked, taking a sip from the cup of tea in his hands. A moment of silence passed before Yixing started the conversation once again.

“I know that look,” the healer chuckled, “Do you need me for something, Chen?”

 

The said man put down his cup, displaying a small smile on his bow lips. He leaned back against his wooden seat and took a deep breath. “Aside from breakfast, I…” he shook his head, “I need a favor to ask.”

Yixing frowned, “If I can help, why not?”

“I… Luhan found something and we’d like you to look at it. You’re best in identifying diseases and we haven’t seen this one before. If you could just take a look at the body and find the source of his death then we’ll be able to figure something out.”

 

Thankfully, the healer went with him but to his surprise, they didn’t go to Luhan’s hut. Chen led the way out of the gates and the border of Garnlok Empire. Yixing wasn’t surprised that they took the body in a hidden place. If it’s an unknown disease then people wouldn’t want to hear it. They would panic and it would cause an unnecessary chaos.

What he first saw was Sehun’s feline form. His furry body obscuring the sight of what he believed was Luhan, crouching on the ground with the lifeless body against the dewy grass of the foggy forest. When the Sabre felt their presence, Sehun dipped his head and moved aside.

The man’s skin has turned as pale as snow, soft dots of rashes mapping some parts of it. Yixing fell on his knees right beside the lifeless body,  his palms hovering over the man’s face.

“This…” he took a deep breathe, looking at the Sun Child, “I haven’t seen anything like this, your grace.”

Luhan nodded with understanding, “I know, but can you at least take a look at it, do you see any possible reasons why he turned out like this?” his soft voice sounded like bell chimes, Yixing noticed. He dipped his head, “I’ll try my best, Your Grace.”

 

Lifting up the man’s shirt, Yixing pressed three fingers on all the vital pressure points he knew. He’d be able to identify if there’s any internal damage that might have caused the man’s death. When he found nothing, he took a needle in the pouch he always have inside his pocket. He pric

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter