Seven – Fugitive Prince

Infernal Saga (I & II)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seven – Fugitive Prince

 

After almost three days of travelling, Baekhyun and Jongin finally found the main trail that would help them determine the right path to their next destination. The Aeri told him that they must go south, because that’s where he would find what he’s looking for. Jongin may or may not want to know what it was, but nonetheless, he never questioned the elder. 

Turning right after figuring out the directions, the two of them followed the path until they saw the entrance to the southern empire. From here, in the middle of the field of golden grass and dandelions, they could see the colossal trees of Shaha. Majestic against the bright and powerful rays of the sun, the pure color of jade shades the entire kingdom. Thick and enormous trunks stood there, sturdy and wrapped with emerald vines of the other plants, mosses covering the bulking roots from the soft brown earth.

It was said in the books that the Shaha, was made of gigantic trees that could only live in the hot temperature of the south. They were tall enough that the average height of any race, be it Aeri, Daeric, Garnlok or Herven, could reach nothing but a feet or two above the roots of trees. It was also the home of exotic floras and faunas that hid behind the shadows.

But don’t be fooled with the beauty of Shaha, for beneath the glooms were the true inhabitants of the south—

The Sabres.

 

Baekhyun took a deep breath before taking a step forward. He was ready to see the Shaha for the first time in life. He knew deep inside him that he meant no harm and he only wishes for a small thing. He could talk to one of them, maybe convince them to give him a few of their golden fur, and after that he’ll be on his way—

“Wait, Baekhyun.” Jongin interrupted, a hand catching his elbow to halt him. The Aeri turned around, surprised. Jongin’s eyes lingered for a moment on his before it shifted to the forest.

“In there, you know anything could attack us right? E-especially those cats.”

Baekhyun nodded, smiling as he held the other’s hand. Jongin faltered when his skin made contact with the Aeri once again, his heart skipping one beat as Baekhyun smiled.

“Don’t worry Jongin. The Sabres might be hostile and territorial, but they are good people.” Baekhyun explained to him. Jongin almost whined from loss when the Aeri let go of his hand.

“How do you know that?” he mumbled.

Baekhyun lifted his shoulders, craning his neck to look at the top of the trees. “I just know. I feel it.”

“Even when you haven’t met one before?” Jongin asked, suddenly curious. Baekhyun giggled at his innocence.

“Yes. Although, sometimes, when I read books about them, I couldn’t help but feel like I understood them. Like, I know them… you know? But that’s impossible,” the Aeri took a deep breath in disappointment, “No one has seen them for years,”

“For decades,” Jongin clarified. Baekhyun shared a sympathetic smile with Jongin, “Isn’t that sad,” Baekhyun asked, and the Herven could only nod because it was one of the historical events that happened when the Daevrics stole the crown of Cepherus.

“Don’t worry,” Jongin heard Baekhyun whispered, “I will do the talking with them. Trust me.”

 

 

Just as expected, Shaha is a paradise that was never discovered. How could it be? When the Sabres were quite selfish of their own land. It was darker inside, with only some rays of the sun illuminating the forest from the small spaces the leaves of the trees are leaving. However that doesn’t stop the two of them from admiring even the smallest specie that they saw inside. They walked carefully on the narrow path, avoiding the bushes and wild flowers. Baekhyun even have to float a few seconds later. Jongin on the other hand, was guided by the Aeri, his right hand once again held by Baekhyun’s left one.

A few moments later they suddenly heard a twig snapping. This caught their attention, causing them to stop. They looked around but saw nothing. However they were not convinced that it was just nothing.

“H-Hello,” the Aeri cleared his throat. His voice echoed in the silence, “I- I know you’re in there, whoever you are.”

Baekhyun was answered with another deep growl. But now it was accompanied with another. From the shadows in front of them, came out a huge werecat. Its fangs protruding from its mouth, golden mane thick on its chest and it got some lighter furs on its face, forming marks. There were three of them, and they only differ in the shade of their furs and the markings on their faces. But one thing is that they somehow looked like wearing armours on their body and on their legs.

“You are trespassing, young Aeri.” the one in the middle said. It was a wonder how these werecats could talk in this form just as easy as they could talk in their human form.

Baekhyun nodded guiltily, admitting his mistake, “I-I’m sorry… but I was just desperate… I need your help.”

The one on the right let out a fierce snarl, “We have already cut our ties with you and the other races.” It was a woman’s voice. “What makes you think that coming here would make it any better? It doesn’t mean that you are an Aeri, our hearts will soften because of your appearance.”

“I-It’s not like that—“ Baekhyun interrupted.

“Whatever.” The woman werecat growled. “Go back to where you came from before we decide to take you and sentence you to death.”

Jongin seemed to hear the warning form her tone so he tugged Baekhyun and whispered for them to leave already. But the young Aeri, fell on his knees and started begging.

“Please I really need your help. I have t-to save my friend, He really needs to h-have his wings back,” Baekhyun bowed, “Please don’t send us away.”

It seems like the woman was out of patience, daring to attack the young Aeri who scampered back in fright. The one in the middle though, who looked like one with a higher ranking than the other, shushed her up with a loud roar. Who knows what could have happened if not for another Sabre coming to their way, panting and looking distressed.

 

 

Jongin helped Baekhyun to stand just as the newcomer announced, “General, it’s a terrible news.”

“What is it, Minseok?” the Sabre in the middle, who seemed to be the general asked.

“It’s the prince. He escaped.”

“What?!” This time, the woman snarled at him. Minseok, the Sabre,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter