Six – Embers

Infernal Saga (I & II)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Six – Embers

 

Ever since that night, Hyun began thinking of Chanyeol differently. The questions in his head didn’t help at all. It was as if, those were the doors which opened for him to question everything that seemed normal before.

However, despite of these questions, he never found in his heart to doubt Chanyeol’s desire to protect him. The king kept his promise to spend dinner with Hyun to make up for the time he couldn’t be with the prince. He would always make sure that he’s locked in his embrace before he falls asleep. Most of all, the king never failed expressing his love and care through a single kiss on his forehead.

He felt bad hiding the fact that he was the one responsible for Chen’s disappearance. As he went home that day, right after he brought the Cepherean out of his cell, he was welcomed with a ruckus. Nevertheless, the soldiers who walks into his direction didn’t forget to pay respects for the prince.

Curious as he is, he stopped one of them to ask what the commotion was all about. The soldier bowed his head as he reported how the Cepherean escaped and the king was so furious about it.

“Do you know why he’s so adamant in killing that stranger?” the prince asked, trying his luck.

“My prince, I’m not sure if I’m the right person to tell you everything.”

Hyun never thought he’d never been more intrigued by a soldier’s word. “You will not be harmed, I promise.”

The soldier hesitated at first but who was he to deny the prince?

“Chen, the Archmage, was Moon Child’s right hand man, my prince. Our king was believed to have a deep connection to the Moon Child and his departure had left him broken. He was angry at every Cepherean since then.”

The prince frowned.

The Moon Child?

Before he could ask more from the soldier, he politely excused himself as their commander calls him. He let the soldier go, noting to visit the library the next day.

 

It wasn’t new to see the prince heading to the royal library. Hyun was studious and very intelligent. They paid him respect before he requested to be alone. When the prince had the place all by himself, he started looking for the catalog of scolls and books they had. With thousands of them shelved against the high walls, a day wouldn’t be enough for him to look for what he needs.

 

Meanwhile, the king visited his cousin to see if there’s any news about Chen’s whereabouts. Kyungsoo apologized as they weren’t able to trace the mage’s presence.

“We are trying are best, Your Majesty. Please give us more time.”

Chanyeol took a deep breath, closing his eyes as he tried to tame the rage inside him. “Alright, I will expect a report by the end of the day.”

“Thank you, Your Majesty,”

“Off you go,” Kyungsoo nodded at the king’s order, turning on his heels as he lead the troop into finding the archmage.

 

Chanyeol stared at the expanse of his kingdom from the veranda of the throne room. He had built the empire in another dimension through the power he didn’t know he had. But maybe, his desire to give Baek Ahn a better life was so strong that it pushed him to the edge.

He doesn’t want the Moon Child to suffer such sadness to the point that he couldn’t even cry. He knows he’s being selfish, and he knows that it will eat him once the truth is out but he would not give a damn as long as he could protect Baek Ahn.

Even if he blinded him with sweet lies, his love was not.

 

Chanyeol was so lost in his thoughts that he didn’t sense the presence of the prince. When tender hands suddenly covered his eyes from behind, the scowl on his lips was replaced with honey dripping smile.

“Hyun,” he chuckled and the hands slid down and ringed around his neck.

“Hehe,” The prince giggled as he hugged the king from behind. “Are you busy right now? What are you thinking about?”

The king his heels and faced Hyun. The prince was off the ground, his wings flapping gently behind him. He was on his satin robe with intricate embroidery of dragon all over it. His scarlet hair was longer than ever, almost reaching his hips. The crown resting his forehead glinted from the moonlight’s grace, and the king thought, this was perfect.

He, Hyun and the Daevric Empire in peace.

“I was just thinking about you, I haven’t spent time with you nowadays,”

Hyun pouted, now landing before the king. “You just realized that now?”

Chanyeol chuckled, kneeling before the prince. He took his feminine hands and kissed it. The king was unaware how the prince’s heart seemed to skip a beat, “I apologize, how should I make it up to you?”

It took a moment before the prince could answer, still blown away from the affection the king just showed. It didn’t feel like the kisses on his forehead, or the hugs he had receive before.

It’s different. It’s rendered him speechless, breathless, unable to move.

Was it a good sign? Or not?

“Come with me in the ambrosia garden?” Hyun asked, tilting his head. The king chuckled and stood, reaching out and offering his arm. Hyun looped his hand on his elbow, smiling shyly as they took their leave.

 

By the end of the day, Chanyeol and Hyun ate dinner together, Hyun talking about the things he read from the library. Chanyeol listened attentively, his gaze never drifted away from the prince’s ruby eyes. He also brought him back to the tower, kissin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter