Sixteen – Red Sun

Infernal Saga (I & II)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sixteen – Red Sun

 

Without wasting a mere second, they have packed their things and weapons and left to find Baekhyun. Sehun, in his feline shape, ran and with the mage on his back, while Chanyeol soared above them, leading the way to what used to be his home.

“Do you think Baekhyun has already reached the Daevric Empire?” Sehun breaks through the silence.

“He could have,” it was Chanyeol who answered. His shoulders squared back as a support for his majestic fire wings. “If your wings are strong enough to break through the clouds, you’ll be able to fly over and reach your destination without the weather distracting you.”

“Not all of us can fly here,” Sehun growled, “Do you have alternative plans for us to get there in time? I doubt that your kind would be very hospitable once he saw him.”

Chanyeol’s brows twitched in annoyance, nevertheless, he didn’t bark back at the feline prince. “I know a shorter route. Keep up with me,” Chanyeol sped up.

 

True to what he said, Chanyeol led them to a shortcut. They passed through a part of a massive forest rather than taking the dirt road that leads to the Daevric Empire. With Sehun’s speed, he didn’t have a hard time keeping up with Chanyeol. But all throughout their journey, the mage was awfully quiet on the feline’s back.

They reached the clearing in no time, and when they finally passed the last line of trees, the golden rays of the sun were suddenly obscured by thick silver clouds. The shade didn’t last for too long, not that they were counting the seconds, but when the clouds passed by the giant ball of fire, the golden light was replaced by scorching crimson rays.

Chanyeol abruptly stopped mid-air, appalled by the unusual phenomenon in the sky.

Sehun’s paws dragged against the dirt, and Chen raised his head to take in the view.

“What’s happening?” Chanyeol asked.

“It’s the Red Sun…” Chen whispered, loud enough for the two princes to hear. “We need to hurry!” the mage exclaimed suddenly. “The Red Sun is the forewarning of the eclipse. It will happen tonight!”

 

They moved once again, but Chanyeol didn’t waste his time by squeezing more information from the Garnlok mage. He knows something that they didn’t and it irritates him.

“What’s going on Chen?”

“The eclipse,” Chen raised his voice against the harsh slap of the wind. “You have to take the Crown of Sun from your uncle and take it back to the Sun Child before the moon meets the sun!”

“If it’s that easy then I would have done that the moment I left the Hollowing Woods!” Chanyeol growled at the mage, fire bursting from his fist. “What made you think that I can do it in this unplanned trespassing, huh?!”

“If you want to see Ahn once again then you’ll do it, Prince Chanyeol!”

“What?” When Ahn’s name was mentioned, Chanyeol was momently distracted and stop midway, only to dash again when he realized he suddenly spaced out.

Chen was panting behind Sehun, eyes formed into slits to see clearly, “You have to get the crown, Chanyeol! There’s no time explaining!”

 

∞ ♡ ∞ ♡ ∞

 

After Kyungsoo left him in the room, Jongin reached for the dagger on the floor. He saw Baekhyun use it quite a lot of times. Back in Separva, he used it to kill the snake woman. He had also used it to defend them from Kyungsoo when Daevrics attacked the Garnlok Empire.  He had a feeling that it wasn’t just a normal weapon. For it to emit such blinding light that rivals the moon, and for it to withstand the eternal flame, this weapon must be something else.

Jongin knew how the blade hurt Kyungsoo earlier, so he did not dare touch it. However, it didn’t stop him from examining what was engraved on it.

How come a Daevric prince like Kyungsoo would be so frightened over such thing?

Jongin’s fingers hovered over the symbol of two crescent moons. It was intricately and aesthetically designed just above the hilt of the dagger. He wondered why this symbol was so familiar to him. It felt like he had seen it somewhere, yet he couldn’t remember when or where.

 

Out of the blue, the ground shook violently that he lost balance of himself. The dagger fell from his grip as he tried to hold on to something. As soon as it came, the earthquake stopped. Jongin heard the guards outside the room shouting and running.

What’s going on?

He hated that he was so weak he couldn’t even free himself from his restraints. His neck was already bright red from his fail attempts, and nothing within reach could help him break the chains.

Kyungsoo entered the room looking frantic. Once his gaze fell on him, he took quick strides and surprisingly released him.

“What’s happening? The earthquake just now…” Jongin rubbed his neck to soothe the bruised flesh.

“Come with me,” he only said before grabbing his arm, dragging him out of the room.

They took multiple turns from numbers of hallways. Before he knew it, Kyungsoo had taken him to the dungeons where dead Daevric soldiers lay on the damp ground. They walked in between bodies until they reached one of the cellars. Even from the poor lighting, he recognized the robe and pastel hair of the man inside. Jongin leaped from his feet and tore himself from the prince’s grip. He banged the steel bars and called out for the wounded Aeri.

“Baekhyun!” he cried out. “Baekhyun, can you hear me?!” he asked but got no response. He turned to the prince, eyes welling with unshed tears, “What have you done to him?!”

Kyungsoo didn’t say anything, but Jongin wouldn’t wait for it. “Let him out, please!” he begged the prince. Once again, he received nothing in return. Kyungsoo’s attention was solely on the Aeri, as if he’s waiting for something to happen.

“I beg you!” Jongin dropped on his knees and palm, head almost kissing the ground. “I beg you, please spare his life, I will be your…your slave in return. Please, Kyungsoo.”

Another moment of silence passed, and Jongin didn’t know what to do anymore. He raised his head to look at the prince but was interrupted by the sudden sound of metal clinking.

He saw the Aeri moved, his head slowly lifting. It was still dark and he couldn’t see his face, but him, being conscious is more than enough.

“Baekhyun…” He pressed himself against the gate, “Are you alright? Are you in pain?”

“..ai…”

“What?”

Baekhyun went through a coughing pit, mumbling something.

“I can’t hear you… Baekhyun, what do you need? Do you…do you want water?”

The Aeri shook his head. He lifted his right arm which was weighed down by his cuffs. Reaching out his hand, Baekhyun looked like he wanted to touch him. But even if he would do the same, the distance wouldn’t let them.

“..rn..kai…”

Jongin’s heart clenched upon seeing Baekhyun like this. He had done a lot for him, but right now, when the Aeri needed him the most, he couldn’t even make himself worthy enough to replace him. He hated that he’s always a burden, that he couldn’t do anything because he is who he is.

“You’re not who you are,” Kyungsoo piped in. “And I am not a fool like my father not to notice the signs.”

Jongin lifted his head up and gaze at the prince in confusion, yet Kyungsoo didn’t even spare him a glance. He took the keys in his sleeves and began unlock the cellar. Jongin got up from the dirt and once the door is open, he quickly went inside, cradling the Aeri in his arms.

When he saw Kyungsoo is still standing on the other side of the cellar, he threw him a confused glance, as if asking why he wouldn’t enter and free the Aeri. Kyungsoo merely shook his head, throwing the set of keys inside.

“I don’t want

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter