The Neighbor Knows Now That Yugyeom Does Not Have A Thing For Jackson

Wonder

Aha, sorry guys! It's my last week of testing for EOC's now, so I should be updating more regularly?? let's hope so! sorry that it's not the most interesting and longest chapter. I'm really stressed right now. :( 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yugyeom was sat on the sofa of Mark's living room. It was quiet, minus the sound of Mark moving around in the kitchen getting them drinks and snacks. He was the once who decided he was going take the math tutoring offer and here he was. He looked at his surroundings, deciding that Mark was indeed close to his family due to the number of family pictures. He also took note that Jackson was like family as well because he was in few of the pictures. He imagined that if he were to look around Jackson's house that it'd be similar to what he was seeing at Mark's. Those two were comfortably close and he wouldn't be surprised if both of their families were as well.

If he was being honest, he sort of felt like he was an intruder, just sitting there all on his own. He always felt like that. 

Then, when Mark came back, setting the snacks and drinks on the table in front of them with a smile, he felt more at ease and welcomed. Was it something about Mark's quiet but friendly demeanor and his nice toothy smile? He couldn't quite pinpoint it but he'd been noticing Mark after he heard him and Jackson. He didn't mean to overhear at all, Jackson was just loud. He remembered the exact question. He could be overthinking it and Mark did not think he was cute. No one thought that he was cute. Not his friends, and most certainly not his exes. They all practically said the same thing when they left him. "You're not the person I thought you were. I thought you had a much... How do I put it..." That's how it went for him. 

"Yugyeom? Hey, you okay there?" Yugyeom, startled, looked up and met Mark's eyes. 

"Just... just what exactly is it..?"

"What exactly is what?" 

"What?"

"Yeah, that's my question."

"Did I say that out loud?"

"What?"

Yugyeom stayed quiet, trying to follow where exactly the conversation had turned and gone. The utter look of pure concentration on his face made Mark want to laugh. He bit his lip, attempting to suppress the laughter. A little laugh escaped his lips and Yugyeom looked at Mark, his face felt heated.

"Don't laugh at me, Mark. It's not funny." Yugyeom pouted, pressing his cool hands to his now warm face.

"It actually is."

Yugyeom pouted as he saw a smirk now grace those lips of the object of his curiosity. "I came here to help better my education in maths, Mr. Tuan. Not to be giggled at and poked fun of." 

Mark shook his head and bit his lip again, an action that Yugyeom noted was probably a habit of Mark's. "You're endearing, Mr. Kim." 

"Oh, so now the teacher is flattering and flirting with me. This is not what I signed up for. This is completely illegal, I will have you arrested in a matter of seconds." 

"Is that so," Mark said as he leered, now closer to Yugyeom on the four-person sofa. 

Yugyeom's eyes widened and he leaned back, but Mark continued to move forward each time as well. Finally, Yugyeom's back hit the arm of the sofa and he could do no more but to push Mark away, playfully. Laughing to get rid of his nerves. "Okay, but really, I have to get this done. This assignment is due tomorrow and I've put it off for about a little over a week now."

"Fine, fine. No more messing around until this is over, I promise."

And so, they got to work. Yugyeom trying to absorb the information and solve equations and ; all the while Mark was having fun being able to torture Yugyeom with math terms that he hadn't bothered to memorize. In the end, Yugyeom felt a sense of accomplishment in understanding what he was doing. Mark enjoyed seeing Yugyeom smile and really did find his smile contagious, that and many other things. Things such as the sound of understanding Yugyeom made. The way he chewed on the tip of his pencil. The way he squint his eyes at a complicated problem and blame his troubles on it solely. It was adorable and so like Yugyeom. Even if Mark hadn't known him for awfully long. 

Yugyeom put away his books and pencils, allowing Mark to pop a mint-like candy in his mouth, smiling at the elder afterward. 

"Thanks for the help."

"Mhm," Mark replied, putting a mint in his mouth. 

"So, umm, same time next week?" Yugyeom once more felt awkward, twiddling his fingers and looking at the coffee table.

"Same time next week or anytime you want. I'll make myself free if I have to."

Yugyeom looked up and tentatively smiled at Mark. "Alright, expect me in three days at two in the morning."

"You're overstepping your boundaries, sir."

"You said anytime."

"My sleep is a precious thing. I hardly get any due to Jackson spamming my phone early enough as it is."

"You two are really close, aren't you?"

"Well, we are childhood friends. So, you could say that. He is Jackson."

"I bet he'd feel offended if he heard that." Yugyeom got up and pulled on his backpack, Mark also getting up.

"The smallest things bruise that man's ego. And a quick question, you seem to be asking a lot of questions or just being really curious about Jackson, do you... perhaps have a thing for him?" Mark asked as he walked Yugyeom to the door.

Yugyeom did not know what to feel. He was rather conflicted. Jackson wasn't the one he was interested in and yet, here he was. "I- uh..."

"Don't worry, I won't tell him."

"I don't have a thing for Jackson!" Yugyeom finally got out as he was on Mark's doorstep. Yugyeom, stopped in his tracks and looked around. He spotted one of Mark's neighbor's washing his cars staring right at him. For the second time that day, Yugyeom's face got warm and he looked away. 

Mark, of course, found the situation hilarious and laughed. But internally, he was full of relief. The thought of Yugyeom liking Jackson didn't make him happy. He didn't even know if Yugyeom was gay and he knew that Jackson was straight, but it would ease his mind for now. It was good enough.