Degausser

Wonder

"I can't shake this little feeling, I'll never say anything right... I can't shake this little feeling, I'll never do anything right." - Brand New

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yugyeom sat in the back of History class the next day, doodling away in his notebook, hardly paying any mind to the words coming out of his teacher's mouth and the whispering students around him. His "doodle" couldn't even really be considered a doodle. It was more of random lines and curves connecting in hopes of becoming something. 

And it was failing miserably so far. 

He exhaled loudly, breath fanning across the area in front of him, causing the person in that position to remove their earbuds and turn around to look at him. It was Youngjae. His face had a scowl on it and as soon as he noticed it was Yugyeom, his expression changed quickly and he smiled. "I, truthfully, did not really notice you were in this class," he brought up his earbuds and pointed them as to giving a reason why. "Everything okay?" Youngjae whispered. 

Yugyeom smiled and nodded his head. "I don't pay much attention either. If I did, I'd notice you the minute you walked through that door, Mr. Smiley." Yugyeom whispered back. "But yes, everything is fine. I'm just willing the hours away in here. It's so boring."

Youngjae had a very faint blush creep on his face, cursing Junior for the nickname he desperately despised. "It is, but it's the only class I ever get any work done in. Both for this class and others. Only on good days, though."

"What about the bad days?" Yugyeom inquired. 

"Mmm, just rest and music so I don't have to deal with anything else."

"You're not the happy-go-lucky person in the group?"

"No. If anything, I think the happiest person in the group is up for grabs between Jackson or BamBam I think BamBam is the happiest. He just doesn't care about much. Just food, friends, family, and clothes. He's quite the fashionista. If you ever need any fashion advice or anything, he's the go-to guy."

Though he deemed BamBam an interesting person that he'd like to get to know, he had someone else on his mind that he'd been wondering about ever since the incident. "What about Mark?"

"What about him?"

"Do you think he's happy?"

"Mark... Mark's a special case. We're all a close-knit group. Some closer than others. Mark's the oldest in our group and he's sort of like an open book, but not. You'd have the read between the lines with him. He's loud but also quiet. The epitome of a contradictional person, I would say. If that makes any sense at all. I think he keeps a lot to himself. You'd have to ask Jackson about Mark, after all, he's the closest to him."

Yugyeom understood what Youngjae said about Mark. Well, sort of. "I think I will."

Youngjae looked at Yugyeom curiously, wanting to know why he was asking about Mark. Just as he was about to open his mouth to question Yugyeom he heard an "ahem" from beside him. 

"Mr. Choi Younjae? Is there a reason why you're turned around talking?" 

There was a couple of giggles and snickers from around the room and Youngjae felt himself blushing again. "No ma'am, sorry." From the corner of his eye, before he turned around, he caught Yugyeom mouth "sorry" over to him. He quickly shook his head and turned around fully, glad that the teacher had gone back in front and was droning on again and that the students paid him no more heed. 

Time passed excruciatingly slow and Yugyeom looked down at the marks in his notebook. Continuing to make more until the bell finally rang. His doodle wasn't that bad. He didn't know what it was but he thought it alright for a meaningless thing. He gathered up his things and tapped at the napping Youngjae's shoulder. Once he got his attention he stood next to his desk and waited for him to get his things together. 

"I'm sorry that I got you in trouble," he said meekly. 

"It's fine."

"...You blush a lot." That comment spurred on more blushing from Younjae, making Yugyeom laugh. 

"I hate it so much," Youngjae answered, covering his pink cheeks with his hands. 

"Don't. I find it pretty admirable for a guy to be able to blush," Yugyeom cheekily responded, poking at Youngjae's side. 

"You only say that because you don't blush much," Youngjae retorted, swiping at Yugyeom's hands to keep him from poking at him. 

Yugyeom was about to give a witty reply when he heard his name and Youngjae's shouted amongst the chatting groups of teenagers in the hall. He looked towards the sound and saw Jackson, dragging a struggling Mark behind him by the wrist. He noticed how Mark was avoiding everyone's eyes as he tried to calm down the boisterous Jackson. 

"Poor Mark. Jackson's energy up all of Mark's energy and presence sometimes. Or it boots it. Depending on the situation, I guess." Youngjae snickered and looked over at Yugyeom who was staring at Jackson and Mark as they made their way to them. Mainly, he was staring at Mark. Youngjae narrowed his eyes at Yugyeom and tugged at the taller male's sleeve to get his attention. As soon as he got it, he lost it because Jackson was apparently intent on up everyone's presence and energy these days. 

"What's this? You guys hardly know each other for a day and you're already good buds. Just like us and when I first came out into this world from the womb, right Mark?" He nudged Mark who only rolled his eyes at him. "Whatever, you jerk. Hey, what classes do you have next?" 

"Ah, uh. Some type of math." Yugyeom said.

"Some type of math?" Jackson furrowed his brows.

"Yeah. It doesn't matter what type of math it is if I'm going to fail it, right?"

"Maybe you don't have to fail... Mark here is a genius at all maths. Aren't you Mark? Why don't you help Yugyeom with math? Was that the warning bell I just heard? You two quickly exchange numbers and stuff. Youngjae, let's get to class, can't be late can we?" Somehow, in the same breath, Jackson managed to say all of that and as soon as he was done, he was pushing Younjae from behind.

While he was doing so, Youngjae piped up, "Jackson, isn't your class the other way? Also, I've got a free period."  

With a huff, Jackson whipped around and started briskly walking towards his class. He could not be tardy once more. Detention was the absolute worst. 

That left Yugyeom, Mark, and Youngjae facing each other awkwardly. Youngjae watched the both of them, shifting from foot to foot. "Oh, uhm. I'm just going to be at the library, then." He waved a bye and started heading in the direction of the library, turning back around to look at Yugyeom and Mark, who despite having the last bell ring, stand there giving each other smiles and talking. He pulled out his phone and looked at his lock screen for a moment. 

It was a picture of all of them, minus Yugyeom, smiling as they leaned against a brick wall. He looked back up at the Mark who was smiling widely right now while talking to Yugyeom. His eyes narrowed again as they started to walk in the other direction. It probably wasn't like what he was thinking it was, right? He unlocked his phone and went to his messages, sending a simple request of Mark. 

Mark's phone buzzed in his pocket as he dropped Yugyeom off at his class and headed towards his, already five minutes late. He unlocked his phone and saw that he had a message from Youngjae. He started filling up with dread. In the group, Youngjae, though absolutely clueless most of the time, he was the most perceptive. 

Youngjae:> We need to talk. Come to mine after school?

Mark wanted to clear his existence, to degauss of some sort. Not only would Jackson know but so would another person. He might as well tell the entire group then. 

Mark:> Invite all the others. 

It was a drag but it had to happen sometime.