Pilot

Wonder

"Jackson, just what do you want me to say? What do you expect me to say?"

"Well, first off, I was hoping that you wouldn't keep something such as this to yourself, Mark. I'm your friend. I've been your friend since we were out of the womb."

"You're exaggerating."

"No. I am not."

"I'm older than you."

"And? That doesn't mean that as soon as I popped out into this hell of a world that I didn't think, 'Hey, I'm gonna have this guy that isn't aware of my being born just yet become my best friend. His name is Mark Tuan. Mark Tuan and Jackson Wang, friends since day one of Jackson's life. Yeah, that sounds nice.'" Jackson had stopped out in the middle of the hallway, hands outstretched with a smile and eyes imagining the little scene he described. Mark kept on walking after shoving his books in his locker, ignoring the calls from his friend. 

He loved Jackson. He really did. Though, sometimes, Jackson could be fairly loud and obnoxious without ever really meaning to. He tended to overreact to things as well. Just like he was right now. "Mark, come on. Stop ignoring me. It makes me sad." 

Mark stopped and turned around, staring at his slightly shorter friend who was pouting and making some god awful fake sniffles. Despite himself, he sighed and finally responded. "What is it you want to know?"

Jackson visibly perked and slung his arm around Mark as they walked out of the school. "Uhm, alright, so how long have you known?"

Mark scoffed at the typical question. He was expecting that one, thus, he was prepared to answer it. "About three years ago, my freshman year. It was at a party and I've never felt that way when kissing someone of the opposite ."

"You mean like... ?"

"Pretty much."

"Oh... Uh, have you ever..." Jackson removed his arm from Mark's shoulders and stopped walking, seemingly flustered. Mark knew what Jackson was wanting to ask and he gave a low chuckle, enjoying his friend's squirming. "Mark! Stop laughing at me!"

"Fine, fine. And no. I have never, once in my life felt any sort of attraction towards you."

"Hey," Jackson said, mockingly offended, "am I not good enough for you? You've never wanted a piece of the Wang man?"

Mark's face deadpanned after hearing 'piece of the Wang man.' "Jackson, just what in the hell is that?"

"I'll have you know that the ladies love it."

"Sure," Mark responded, dragging out the 'u.'

"Yeah, it's something you wouldn't know about." Jackson delivered smugly.

Mark looked at his friend with disbelief.  "You haven't even known that I liked boys for more than an hour and I've already got to hear wisecracks from you?"

"I could have made thousands by now but I just had to find out today. By walking in on you making out with some guy in his junior year." 

"You have the absolute worst timing. You probably scared him off and now he'll be avoiding me from embarrassment."

"Did you like him?" 

"Yes."

"No, I mean, did you like, like him?"

"If you put it that way, then no." 

"So, does it really matter if I scared him off?"

Mark shrugged his shoulders and continued walking, Jackson falling into step beside him, bringing his arm up and slinging it across his shoulders, once more. "It's not like you'll have trouble finding someone else, right? After all, you're very cute. Girls like you and fawn over you. You don't seem worried about not being able to find another guy. If I was in any way attracted to guys, I think I'd be attracted to you." Jackson laughed and got Mark in a headlock, using his free hand to ruffle Mark's hair. Mark laughed along, attempting to get out of the headlock whilst they both continued their walk. When he did finally manage to get out, he shoved Jackson which led to some more friendly shoving and some light punches and lots more laughter.

The two weren't really paying attention to their surroundings and Mark ending up shoving Jackson into an unsuspecting person. Said person, stumbled and lost their footing, tumbling to the ground. Mark's eyes widened and he said a string of sorry's over and over while Jackson pulled the person up to their feet.  "It's okay. I'm fine, really." 

"You sure?" Jackson asked, handing the person their backpack. 

"Yeah. Tell your friend that he can stop apologizing already." The stranger looked up, or down because he was taller than the both of them and offered a small smile. 

"Ah, I know you. You're in my Econ class. Uhm, Yugyeom, right? You're new."

"Mmm, yeah. It was my first day here. And you're the notorious Jackson Wang, right? The girls really like you, Jesus Christ, they talked about you basically all throughout class."

Jackson smirked and pointed at Mark dramatically, "I told you so."

"Whatever, 'Wang man.'" Mark murmured under his breath. Jackson didn't hear it over his ego but Yugyeom seemed to hear it just fine and he laughed aloud. Mark grinned at Yugyeom and Yugyeom grinned right back at him as soon as their eyes met. Who knows for how long but it was long enough for Jackson to clear his throat and gaze suggestively between the two to Mark. 

Mark shook his head just as Yugyeom spoke. "I have to go, nice talking to the both of you, Jackson and ahhh..."

"Mark."

"Mark." He gave a smile and slowly walked away. He was not even about five feet away before Jackson asked,

"So, did you think he was cute or what?"

"Jackson," Mark hissed and looked at Yugyeom's retreating back before slapping Jackson's arm, hoping that Yugyeom didn't quite catch that. Yes, he was gay but it wasn't something he wanted a complete and cute stranger to know. Not just yet. 

"What? I was just wondering."

Mark sighed and walked away from his friend. The usual. And Jackson chased after his friend. The usual. 

But Yugyeom, Yugyeom looked back at Mark's smaller figure from a distance. He had heard, alright.