Tears

Secret

• Seoul Correctional Detention Cell: 

Younghwan (Mr. Cho) and his inmate friend are having a conversation when the jail officer called his attention.

"Cho Younghwan. The lawyer is looking for you."

After hearing what the officer said, Younghwan immediately went to the visiting area where the lawyer is waiting. There is also another police officer that guards the area. The lawyer handed him a file of documents.

"Mr. Cho, the evidences against you are strong. After the last hearing that we had, the judge sentenced you for a lifetime imprisonment. It also didn't help that all through out the case, you are pleading for not guilty."

Younghwan can't believe what he just heard. The judge sentenced him already? The hearing for the case just started, and now he will be convicted forever? And for a crime that he didn't do?

"W-what? A-attorney... I really didn't do it. Attorney please help me...." Younghwan cried in frustration and despair.

"I really want to help you, but we can't win against them. All of the evidences are pointed against you.Add the fact that we don't have any witness to testify for you. And even if you appeal to the higher court, they will still follow the decision of the lower court. I'm really sorry. The least that I can do for you, is to make sure that your family is okay while you are here."

Younghwan just nodded. He is too tired to argue anymore. Too tired to complain. After all, he is just a commoner. He will definitely not win against the powerful Lee Chunhwa. The lawyer patted his shoulder and left. If its just him, its okay. But he is thinking about his family. They need him. But what can he do if he will be convicted for a lifetime, with a crime that he did not do...

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

• 6 months later...

Kyuhyun is secretly working as a part time employee in a cafe near his school. He is tidying a table which the customer had used, when he received a phone call.

"Yoboseyo? Umma, Why did you call?"

Kyuhyun was surprised to hear the voice on the other line. It was not his mom's voice.

"Yoboseyo? Is this Cho Kyuhyun? Son of Ms. Kim Hanna?"

Kyuhyun was confused as to who it was, but nontheless, he answered.

"Y-yes. W-who is this? Why do you have my mother phone?"

"I'm a nurse in a hospital. A woman brought your mother here. She is confined here in Samsung Medical Center."

Kyuhyun was shocked to know that his mother is confined again in a hospital.

"W-what?! O-okay. I'll be there. Please take care of my mom. Thank you."

After the call, Kyuhyun went to their manager and asked permission to end his shift early. Because his mom is in the hospital. The manager allowed him to go and even gave him money for his fare going to the hospital. Upon setting his foot on the hospital, he directly went to the room where his mom is confined. His mom is asleep on her bed, the doctor approached him and talked to him regarding his mother's condition.

"Kyuhyun, I will be frank with you. Your mom has a disease that is not easy to treat."

Kyuhyun felt nervous about what the doctor said. But he needs to know what his mom's condition is. So he prepared himself to whatever news he is about to receive.

"W-what do you mean?"

The doctor heaved a heavy sigh, before telling Kyuhyun the big news.

"Your mother has an ovarian cancer. And it is already on its terminal stage."

It seems that Kyuhyun became deaf after hearing what the doctor said. He can't believe this. This is a lie. Maybe the doctor had a wrong diagnosis.

"What?! W-wait. How did it happen?"

"Your mom has cancer long ago. The last time that she was brought to the hospital, I was the doctor who checked her condition. I found out that her cancer is already on its 3rd stage. But in the last few months, the progression of cancer cells in her body is rapid. Also, we have to consider the fact the she stopped her chemo sessions. That contributed to the progression of cancer cells."

Is this really happening? Maybe Kyuhyun is just having a dream. Right. He is just having a nightmare. He tried pinching himself. He felt pain. Tears streamed down his face when he realized that this is reality. He is not dreaming.

"W-why... Why didn't you tell me last time?"

"Your mother asked me not to tell you. But right now, I think I should really tell you. Your mom will not last anymore, Kyuhyun. Even if we continue the chemotherapy sessions, it will not help a lot. It will not give us the guarantee that your mom will survive."

Kyuhyun shook his head, tears falling down from his eyes. "No! Umma..."

The doctor tapped Kyuhyun's shoulder and said "I'm sorry."

After saying those, the doctor left Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun went closer to his mom and touched her forehead. He talked to his mom as if she is listening to him.

"Umma... please wake up. Please don't go... Umma please do your best to fight against your illness. I will look for a solution. Just please be well..."

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The next morning, Kyuhyun went to the building of Lee Corporation, where the office of Mr. Lee Chunhwa is located. This time, he needs the man's help. He will swallow his pride. His mom needs to have a chemotherapy, even if its not a guarantee. He needs to at least try. He went to the office of Mr. Lee, but before he proceed to the CEO's office, the secretary greeted him.

"Good Morning sir. How can I help you?"

"Good Morning. Is Mr. Lee Chunhwa in his office?"

"Yes sir. Do you have an appointment with him?"

Panic filled Kyuhyun's system. What if he says no? Will the secretary tell him to get out of the building? And he can't lie if he says yes. Because the secretary will definitely look at the names of the persons that has an appointment with the CEO. But Kyuhyun chose not to lie.

"N-no ma'am. B-but maybe... it's okay. I just have to tell him something really important."

Despite Kyuhyun's plead, the secretary refused to give him permission.

"I'm sorry sir. But we don't let just anyone go inside Mr. Lee's office."

"Ma'am please. I just really need to talk to him."

Kyuhyun then searched for his ID inside his bag, and handed it to the secretary.

"Here's my ID. Please try calling him on the intercom. Please tell him I'm the son of his previous secretary, Kim Hanna."

The secretary looked at him with pity and got his ID. If the secretary is not just really concerened about him, she would not entertain his request. She then called Mr. Lee using the inetrcom. Mr. Lee answered after 2 rings.

"Yes?"

"Sir, someone is looking for you. His name is Cho Kyuhyun. He said he wants to talk to you."

Chunhwa (Mr. Lee) is quite confused as to who is this Cho Kyuhyun.

"Cho Kyuhyun?!"

"Yes sir. He said he is the son of Kim Hanna, your previous secretary."

Chunhwa laughed. Oh Boy! What does this kid want?

"Really? Okay. Tell him to come in my office."

After the secretary talked to Mr. Lee, she returned Kyuhyun's ID and told him to go inside Mr. Lee's office. When Kyuhyun enetered, Kyuhyun was at awe to see the spacious and fully furnished office. His attention was caught by the man in his late 40's who is sitting on the swivel chair, his back facing him. When the man turned around, Kyuhyun bowed and payed respect.

"Good Morning Mr. Lee."

Chunhwa's laugh reverberated his office. He is really amazed by this kid. His parents must have taught him good manners.

"Hm. You are impressive. Younghwan and Hanna's son is really respectful. What do you need from me and you came here?"

Kyuhyun is quite uneasy to tell the CEO what is his reason for coming. But he can't just keep quiet. He has a purpose on why he is facing this powerful man right now.

"I-I-I-I just w-want to ask help f-from y-you..."

After hearing what Kyuhyun said, Chunhwa immediately cut him off.

"If its about your dad that you went here, I'm telleing you that you won't get anything from me."

Kyuhyun started to cry. His young age can't handle much of the situation that fate is trying to let him carry.

"I-Its not about my father. I just want to ask help for umma..."

"Umma? You mean Hanna? Why? What happened to your mother?"

Kyuhyun felt hope envelope his heart. Mr. Lee asked about his mother. Maybe he is still concerned about her.

"She has cancer. She needs to have chemotherapy."

"Oh. Is that so?"

Kyuhyun nodded. And to his surprise, Mr. Lee laughed. He suddenly want to punch the man. Is his mother's situation something to be laughed about?

"Karma. Ever heard of that? I bet you haven't. Does your father know about this already?"

He wanted to defend his family. But he can't. Kyuhyun held his emotions and shook his head.

"No sir, and if possible I don't want him to know."

Chunhwa kept on laughing. It hurts not only Kyuhyun's ears, but also his heart. This man is mocking his parents. But this man can be the solution to his problems also.

"Why don't you want him to know? Younghwan should know this. He should know this so that he will feel the pain that I felt when my wife passed away. The type of pain wherein he can't do anything until his wife dies. He should go through what I went through!!!!"

It is against his will, but Kyuhyun needs to convince Mr. Lee to help his mom. He is the only person who has the capacity to help them. They don't have any relatives, so there is no one that they can run for help but Mr. Lee. However, Mr. Lee is really amazed at the sight. Younghawan and Hanna's son is kneeling in front of him, almost kissing the floor while his tears are flowing non stop from his eyes.

"Mr. Lee, please... I beg you... I beg you... I will pay everything that you will spend for my mother's medication... just please help her..."

"Kid, are you playing with me? How can you pay the money that I will spend? Your mother doesn't even have a decent job, right? I even doubt if you are still going to school. You know what, just go home. Or better yet, get everything ready for your mother's funeral. That is the best thing that you can do."

Kyuhyun shook his head. He will not let his emotions, ruin his purpose.

"I'm still going to school sir. Once I graduate, I will work really hard to pay you back. I promise. I will pay back everything."

Because of what Kyuhyun said, Mr. Lee laughed even louder this time. While Mr. Lee is laughing and mocking him, it seems that Kyuhyun doesn't care anymore. Whatever the chairman says, he will accept all the insults. As long as he will just finance his mother's chemotherapy. 

"Nonesense! Do you thing I will help you after your father did that crime to my wife? I'm not stupid to help you and let a snake live!"

Fear clouded Kyuhyun's heart. What does he mean?

"Sir... what do you mean?"

"Go. Don't ever comeback here, if you don't want to join your father in prison."

This time, Kyuhyun's emotions already unleashed. He cannot just let Mr. Lee send him away like that.

"Sir... please I beg you... I beg you... please..."

Kyuhyun was then shocked when 2 security personnel dragged him out of Mr. Lee's office. He was then dragged to an elevator which is different from the one he used earlier in going to the CEO's office. The security brought him to the deserted underground parking lot and beat him up. Punches and kicks from 2 big men were received by Kyuhyun's young and lanky body. The two men kept on beating him up, not until Kyuhyun spitted blood. After that, they dragged him to the vacant lot near the Lee Corporation building. Before leaving, the 2 men made sure no one saw them. After the men left, Kyuhyun tried his best to stand up. His body hurts so much due to the injury that he got after the men beat him up. He walked and looked for familiar landmarks he passed by earlier. His vision is now blurred and he can't clearly see peoples' faces. But he is certain that they are looking at him in a weird way. Kyuhyun felt conciousness almost slipping out of his body, but he fought it. He walked and walked until he can see the place where he works. He will try to borrow money from his boss. He doesn't care if he will live as a beggar for the rest of his life. What's important is that he can finance his mother's medication... At last. He is already in front of his workplace. But before he could pull open the door, he lost his conciousness...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N:

Hello JOYers! New update. Chapter 4 done. I really feel sad for Kyuhyun here. Why does he have to carry all the burden? (You write the story. Crazy author. hahahahahaha) I will try to update at least 1 chapter a day. But if we get lucky, I will make it 2. I will update again. Get ready for chapter 5! If you have comments please leave it in the box. To my subscribers, thanKYU and I really appreciate the comments :* Saranghae. Annyeong!