Step One

Black Umbrella

“Hyung, what are you writing?” Junhoe said as he tried to peek on whatever his older brother is writing. He was weird to see his brother smiling at the book. Is there something funny? Junhwan who realised the small boy’s head, quickly close the book and shove it to the side pf his desk.

“It’s nothing, just school work” He said with a not so convincing smile and thank goodness Junhoe doesn’t ask further. Junhoe sat on Junhwan’s bed and started to talk about his day. Then, the door suddenly opened revealing a middle-aged woman.

“Junhoe darling, it’s time to go to bed” the woman said. With sparkled eyes, Junhoe ran towards the woman and she lifted the small boy in her arms before giving him a loud smooch on his cheeks. She was about to close the door when she realised Junhwan who was giving her a cold stare. The woman smirks before closing the door shut.

After the sound of footsteps left his ears, Junhwan quickly grab the book that he shoved earlier and started writing again. This time, is not the happy look that was stuck on his face, but a frown, a mixture of anger and sadness.

He wrote on the blank page

 

 

 

 

 ‘I hope he wont have to deal with them’

~*~

Jinhwan find himself panting in front of the graveyard. After looking at the photo, somehow most of the dots had finally connected. He finally could understand a part of the mystery he’s been trying to solve. Now he just need proof. He quickly packed his bags and ran leaving the clubroom, running straight towards the cemetery. He expects to see Koo Junhoe around the graveyard but his eyes failed. He thought that the younger might be around here since yesterday, he followed the tall boy here, just to find him missing at the same spot. He knows that Junhoe is in here somewhere. He wanted to step inside but he felt scared. He had never entered a graveyard before since no one that he knows, died or anything.

Jinhwan let out a heavy sigh and was about to leave his spot when he saw a tall boy standing near a tree and he knows that’s not Koo Junhoe. He’s wearing all black with a black umbrella in his hand. He waved and smiled at Jinhwan before signalling him to come close. Jinhwan slowly walked towards the figure and when he’s near, he looked at where the boy was pointing. He finally saw the real Koo Junhoe, lying on his back with his eyes closed. He turned back towards the tree and realised the tall figure had vanished. He didn’t feel surprise though, instead he was expecting that. Jinhwan looked towards the main entrance of the graveyard and grinned. No wonder I couldn’t see him from there. The countless tombstones was blocking his view and the small hills and long weeds played a big role on hiding the giant boy. Jinhwan finally sat down near Junhoe and admires his face features. They do really look the same. Jinhwan thought as he smiled. He looked at the nearby gravestone and read the name carved on it and then a strong gust of wind suddenly hits the smaller boy, making him fall right on top of Junhoe’s chest and as result, the boy’s eyes open wide.

“What the – ” he looked at Jinhwan with a shocked face. Jinhwan quickly gets up from him with his face beat red.

“I… I c-can explain” the small boy stutters as he tried to speak, looking at the ground.

“You’re Kim Jinhwan right? The guy I met earlier?” the tall boy stood up, dusting off the dirt that might’ve stuck on his uniform when he was lying on the ground.

“Uh… yeah” Jinhwan scratches his hair, recalling last evening event.

“How did you find me? I was sure that I was pretty hidden” Junhoe said glaring at the boy. It was supposed to be his private and personal space. No one should know about this.

“I-I … Junhwan showed me” with that answer, Jinhwan received another shocked face, written on Junhoe’s face.

“How the hell did he showed you? He’s ing dead” anger starts to boil in his blood. No one makes fun of his brother

“I-I saw him, pointing towards you and then he… disappeared” Jinhwan answered nervously.

“You’re saying that you’re seeing my brother’s ghost now? Who the are you that you can see him?!” Junhoe screamed at the small boy but Jinhwan doesn’t feel scared. He felt angry, probably angrier than Junhoe. Why? How the hell should he know about this Junhwan guy who had just came to his life a couple of days ago? He didn’t even know who the hell is this ghost?

“I don’t know okay? He just suddenly haunts me from the last few days and I thought he was you but can you explain this?!” Jinhwan grabbed the feetless photo from his bag and show it to the taller boy. Junhoe takes the photo from Jinhwan’s hand and scans the picture. His eyes which were earlier lit with anger slowly cools down and you can see a hint of sadness in his eyes.

“This is not a joke right?” Junhoe said trying to smile. It can’t be.

“I captured that, two nights ago, when he ‘visited’ me” Jinhwan said coldly.

“H-How… Just who the hell are you?” Junhoe’s tears starts to fall. He missed his brother so much. But it’s unfair. Why the hell did his brother meet this guy? Why didn’t he meet him? Doesn’t he know that his brother miss him? He wants to be oblivious towards the smaller boy but from what the boy said, he’s also clueless. Just who is Kim Jinhwan for his brother?

A loud thunder clashes in the sky but that didn’t startle both of the boys. Jinhwan was unsure what to do when he saw the younger cried slowly falling back to the ground before hugging his knees. Even when the rain starts to pour down from the black clouds, he was still standing, motionless, clueless. He felt bad, was it his fault for making the taller boy crying? Then, he felt something hit him on his right leg. He looked down to see a black umbrella that somehow was rolled towards him on the ground, probably pushed by the wind and the rain.

He took the umbrella and opened it, trying to shelter both of them from the rain. But the umbrella is not that big. He needs to get closer to Junhoe. Slowly he move towards the crouching boy, closing the distance that parts them. He looks down at the weeping boy, making sure that he’s the one fully sheltered. Junhoe noticed this and look upwards, and that’s when their eyes met. Both of them suddenly felt paralyzed as they stare at each other’s eyes. Jinhwan could’ve sworn that he felt a spark of electricity somewhere but well, he’s clueless. They both didn’t move, motionless for seconds before Junhoe stood up, wiping his tears dry, not breaking the gaze. Now, Jinhwan was the one who needs to lift his head a bit, to match Junhoe’s stare. Jinhwan scans the taller boy’s features. His frame, eyes, brows, nose, lips, everything. He finally could see how handsome the boy in front of him. Well he admits that Junhoe was handsome before but now, it felt different, like way more handsome. His heart starts to beat rapidly when the tall boy leans closer to his face, and he could feel his cheeks heating up. What is this feeling? He quickly turned away, breaking the eye contact when they are only a few centimetres apart.

“Your mole”

“What?”

“Your mole, the one under your right eye, is it heart-shaped?”

“Uh… yes” Junhoe smiled at the answer. He finally understands why his brother met this boy. But still many questions starts to linger in his mind and all of them starts with why? He still couldn’t understand the real reason his brother met this boy. It won’t be a simple reason from what he thought. He knows his brother too well. There’s always a purpose for his actions and those purposes would scream warning.

He’s not looking at you Kim Jinhwan! Stop feeling like this! Jinhwan mentally slaps his face. Why is heart beating so fast, like a bird trying to be free from its cage? He was looking on the ground, mentally cursing himself when suddenly Junhoe spoke.

“Let’s go home” Jinhwan look at Junhoe. Confused. Does he know where he lives? Junhoe smiled at Jinhwan which makes the petite boy more confused. Isn’t he crying earlier? Why the hell is he smiling now? The tall boy picked up his bag which is now soaked with rainwater and starts to walk. Jinhwan had to follow him tho as he still need the shelter provided by the black umbrella. So, together they left the graveyard, side by side, with hearts beating louder than a gong.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Junhwan watch the couple leave through the front gate of the graveyard as he stands next to his grave. Step one complete, he said to himself as he grinned. He then crouches down to look at the white roses in front of his tombstone. He tried to touch it but as he expected his hand would just went through the petals. He sigh softly. He sat on the ground with an umbrella on his side while watching the droplets of water that falls from the clouds trying to soak his forever dry black clothes. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello to my lovely readers! 

So this is how they fall in love ahahaha

After this will be a bit of fluff and ofc other otps DoubleB, YunDong and Chan- (choose a partner for Chanwoo - Jinhyeong, Hongseok, Moonbin or any other idols)

I'll update again this weekend most probably on Saturday

I know I'm supposed to be on hiatus but, I'm stressed and I need to escape reality for a while hahaha

I should be studying though zzzz I have like 3 days left for exams TT

Spam me on Twitter (@akirazinan)  if you have any questions you would like to ask 

Love you guys! (Now I really need to struggle TT)

-akirazinan