Answers

Black Umbrella

“What’s wrong with your eyes dude?” said Hanbin as soon as he saw the dark circles around Jinhwan’s eyes. Jinhwan just shake it off, doesn’t want to think about it but even so, the memories of last night is still clear in his mind. He sat on his chair before putting his bag aside and rest his head on his desk. His head hurts. His hair is a mess. He slowly close his eyes, attempting to sleep during class. Its not like he always sleep in class, just for today, because he’s tired. Maybe the teacher would understand. Mrs Jung was a nice teacher after all. But even with the boring lectures about history she gave, Jinhwan still couldn’t sleep. So he just close his eyes while replaying the event last night.

 

~*~

As soon as he saw the black umbrella, he quickly ran downstairs with a camera in his hands, ignoring the red flashes from the device. When he opened the front door, he saw the boy with the black umbrella standing on the pavement facing him. Jinhwan didn’t know why but he felt that he’s looking at someone different. Someone totally different than last evening. His features are the same, his tall figure, his face structure, his dark black hair. But there’s something different. His eyes. Black and cloudy like a rainstorm, and his smile, innocent and fragile. He was smiling at Jinhwan and it didn’t scare the petite boy. Instead, he felt sad and pain. Slowly, Jinhwan lifts his camera at eye-level before focusing on the boy and press the upper-right button to capture his picture. When he lowered his camera, the boy turned towards the street before started walking again, leaving Jinhwan who’s still staring at him. Upon realising this, Jinhwan was about to call the boy when someone tap his shoulder.

“What are you doing staying up late?” Jinhwan turned to see his father who’s holding a baseball bat with a drowsy face. He turned back facing the street and realised that the boy had disappeared. Where did he go? Jinhwan asked himself as he kept searching the road for any familiar black umbrella but failed. His father questioned his actions and he just wave it off, saying that he can’t sleep and thought about taking pictures of the late night view. Without further questions, his father went upstairs after complaining about hearing someone ran downstairs and his wife asked him to check it out in case for burglars.

 Jinhwan wanted to check on the picture he just took and realised the camera was out of battery. Did he get the picture? He closed the door before locking it back and went back to his room. While replaying the event at the back of his mind, Jinhwan felt something familiar. More like déjà vu. While deep in thought, he charged his camera before laying himself on his bed. And then, it hits him. It all came like a bullet train, the night where he can’t sleep when he was 4-years old. The night where lightning and thunder clashes. The night where he ran to his parents’ room, screaming and crying while banging the door. The night where his parents thought that he was having a nightmare. The night where he saw ‘his’ eyes, the cloudy black eyes, the pure definition of sadness itself.

The petite boy is having a hard time to sleep. He kept turning and tossing, finding a comfortable spot. He felt cold, so he put on his blanket but then he felt hot, so he push away his blanket. His mind is like having a car race in an arcade. Spinning and turning as he crashes the walls of his head. His head hurts as he tried to connect the past and the present. His mind filled with unanswered questions and he knows he won’t feel calm unless he find those answers.

~*~

 

Eventually, Jinhwan slept through the first and second period without getting scold by the History teacher. He felt grateful though, at least he’s not as tired as before. He could focus more during class as he could forget for a while the event last night. The school bell echoes through the school, a sign to show that it’s recess time. Jinhwan was going through his bag to search the stack of pictures he kept this morning and when he finally grabbed them, Hanbin suddenly pulled Jinhwan and started running towards the club room where the other 4 members had been waiting.

“You guys are late” Jiwon said with a stern voice. Despite being dorky and funny, he’s strict when it comes to club activities but its recess time that leaves Jinhwan confused, again. He looked at Hanbin who gave Jiwon a sorry face before pulling him to sit down on their respectful chairs.

“We’re going to discuss about the ‘big problem’ I said yesterday, we haven’t get do discuss about it but I already discuss with Hanbin so he, as the club president will tell you about it” Jiwon said before sitting back on his chair. Jiwon is the vice president of the photography club who handles mostly when it comes to meeting with teachers and yesterday, he went to meet the head teacher who’s responsible for curricular related activities.

Hanbin stood up with his hands full of papers and stand beside the club’s whiteboard. “According what Jiwon told me, Mr Choi told him that there’s a new rule for all clubs and that is…” Hanbin hold a marker before writing a number on the whiteboard. “… the number 8 is the minimum amount of students required in every club” Jinhwan smiled. The thought of having new members in the club makes him happy. But there’s one problem. Hanbin and Jiwon are very strict when it comes to selecting a club member. Jinhwan was lucky though. The photography club had just debuted 3 years ago when he first came to this school and of course, Hanbin was the founder. The first year of the club consists of only 3 members, Hanbin, Jiwon and Jinhwan himself. The next year, Yunhyeong and some other students had personally asked to join the club but they was tested by Hanbin and Jiwon. They went through lots of tests and procedures. The others eventually gave up leaving Yunhyeong who toughly endured all those tests given and well, he passed with flying colours leaving him being the secretary of the club. Donghyuk and Chanwoo also passed the tests the next year (which is the current year) and they earned their spots in the club. Chanwoo was selected as the treasurer while Donghyuk was in charge of decorating the club room and photo edits. (Now you guys might wonder what is Jinhwan’s role in the club, but after reading through the chapters, I think you could guess it right away. Did you get it? Even if you don’t get it, I’ll tell you anyway.)

Jinhwan is the main photographer in the club. It’s not like the other members couldn’t take photos but you know Jinhwan, he’s pictures are always perfect that makes Donghyuk’s job a bit less. There’s no need for edits for Jinhwan’s photos unless requested. Yes, being the main photographer could be tiresome but JInhwan doesn’t mind. He loves taking pictures, he loves it when the pictures turned out well and he loves it when his job is praised. It makes him happy.

“And we need the 2 new members by this week” Hanbin continued. Well isn’t that a rush. Jinhwan thought. Even proceeding with the tests for Yunhyeong and the others takes a month and now they have to take 2 new members? Jinhwan wondered, if Hanbin and Jiwon would prepare the test, he’s sure that it won’t be easy. Jinhwan smiled when he could see Hanbin and Jiwon staring at each other or to be exact, communicating with their eyes. What the hell they’re talking about, Jinhwan doesn’t care because recruiting new members is not his job, it’s theirs. Besides he had other things to do. He put aside the stack of photos on the table before standing up and heads towards the cupboard, located at the corner of the club room. He’d just grab an item on one of the shelves when suddenly Donghyuk called him. Placing back the item, he returns back to the table to watch Donghyuk eying the stack of photos.

“Hyung, I know this guy” Donghyuk said as Jinhwan sat back on his chair who looks interested as Donghyuk starts talking “He’s the new student from one of my friends’ class. He’d just registered yesterday and according to my friend, he used to live around here before but he had to move due to personal reasons” Donghyuk stopped for a while unsure if he should continue. “What’s wrong?” Jinhwan asked.

“Well the thing is, this morning, there’s already rumours flying about him being a grim, him bringing bad luck, him who loves black, him who walks around late at night, him – “

“Wait, could you repeat that?”

“…erm… him who walks at night?” Jinhwan eyes widen, clearly shocked was written on his face.

“What’s wrong hyung?”

“Nothing, continue”

“Anyway, when the other students asked him about his night patrol, he would just ignore them and continue on doing whatever he was doing. People said that his cold attitude that makes him a loner. No one wanted to be friends with him, either they’re scared of him or simply annoyed. He…” Donghyuk keeps talking about the boy and Jinhwan looks like he’s listening, but he’s not. He’s thinking deep, way too deep that he can’t see or hear whatever is happening around him. His mind went back to the event last night, where he met the boy, the boy in black, the boy with the black umbrella. There are still a lot of unanswered questions in his head and there’s one question that keeps appearing in his head. Why did the boy smiled at him?

“…ung…hyung… HYUNG!” Donghyuk’s high pitch scream return Jinhwan back to reality.

“Are you even listening to me?” Donghyuk said as he pouted, Jinhwan said a quick sorry and ruffles his hair. Yes, he is cute but Jinhwan’s mind is too busy with things that he don’t understand. He needed answers and he knows he won’t get them by listening about rumours. So, he asked the first step to answer the questions in his head towards the younger.

“What’s his name?”

“… if I’m not mistaken, it’s … Koo Junhoe” with that, Jinhwan took the pictures back into his grasp before heading towards the club door.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I almost forgot hyung! He lives at iKON Street, the same street where you’re living” a moment of silence passed before the school bell rang, a sign that shows recess has ended.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello dears. Thank you for reading. Thank you for subscribing. Thank you for commenting. Today was one of the happiest day of my life! I was really in a bad mood through out the whole day that I couldn't form any ideas while writing this. And today was marked as one of the most historical moments in my life! And yeah, I got a new phone so I can update more frequently.

Tell me your opinion about this chapter.

I was thinking about the ending. Should I make it end in a good way or a bad way? 

Anyway, just to let you guys know, I'm not focusing much on romance but of course there's Junhwan so don't go. This story might be a bit sentimental so prepare your tissues everyone, because after this will be tears (well I'm not sure when the sad part is coming) anyway, Junhoe will be introduced on the next chapter! Be prepared!

I think the next chapter will be the last before I go on a short hiatus, around 3 weeks because I'm gonna focus more on exams. Wish me luck! After the exams, I'll try to update at least once in every two days. I expect this ff to have around 10-20 chapters with at least around 1500 words per chapter.

Omg I wrote too much. Sorry for wasting your time reading this crap (author's note). Love you guys to the moon and back!! XOXO

-akirazinan