Photograph

Black Umbrella

For photographers, taking a good picture is what makes them satisfied. Not just good, it must be perfect! The lighting, the shadow, the contrast, everything! That’s what Jinhwan was taught about when he first entered the photography club. The leader of the club, Kim Hanbin, was the one who asked Jinhwan if he’s interested in photography. He didn’t know anything about photography but watching as Hanbin pleaded to a point where he’s going to beg on his knees, Jinhwan quickly agrees before anything looks ugly. Kim Hanbin was Jinhwan classmate and also deskmate that practically make them both the best of friends. Hanbin loves photography after the first time he held a camera. You know, the big, black, camera with oversized lenses and blinding flashes. He taught Jinhwan on how to use it properly and to his surprised, Jinhwan had a talent in taking pictures. So, for his 17th birthday, Hanbin gave his old camera to Jinhwan as a present. And trust me, all pictures that was captured by Jinhwan was magnificent. He knows how to adapt the colours well with the surroundings making the main subject more interesting. Once, he entered an international photography contest and won second prize, a brand new camera complete with a tripod stand and additional lenses. Hanbin was proud towards his best friend. Everytime Jinhwan captures something amazing, he would speak to himself thank goodness I begged him to join the club.

The photography club consists of only 6 people including Hanbin and Jinhwan. There’s Jiwon, Yunhyeong, Donghyuk and the new member Chanwoo. All of them are best friends but no one could beat the bond between Hanbin, Jinhwan and Jiwon. They’re known at school as the Triple Kim as for having the same surnames. Besides that, they’re also in the same year making it easier to converse with each other. Yunhyeong on the other hand is a year younger than them while Donghyuk and Chanwoo is the youngest. Eventhough their club had a limited number of members, but they’re the ones who took photos for the school magazine, the school website and even for personal occasions like weddings. They even got paid for every time they did an excellent job. They simply earn a lot of money just by taking pictures.

“Big problem guys!” Jiwon said as soon as he entered the club room. His school uniform is drenched due to the rainstorm outside. Hanbin hand him a towel and ask him to change his clothes before proceeding on what he called a big problem. Jinhwan somehow doesn’t hear the commotion. He was sitting by the window with a cup of hot latte in his hand. He took a few sips before observing the scenery outside the window. It’s raining, heavily and the dark clouds doesn’t seem to budge. The flashing of lightning and the crashing of thunder makes his heart feel uneasy. Jinhwan hates the rain especially when it turns out to be a rainstorm like this. It felt like the sky is crying, like its feeling sad. He hates being sad because sadness are contagious just like happiness. He loves it when people around him smile. It makes his world a better place to live. He felt sad just to see someone he barely knows, frowns.

He was watching the scene as mother nature continues with her wrath when suddenly, he saw someone. A boy to be exact, standing in the middle of the rain while holding a black umbrella for him to shelter. Somehow, this scene felt too familiar. Why is it? Jinhwan quickly grabs his camera and zoom in towards the boy to see a better view of his face but what surprised him is that the boy is… smiling? The boy was facing slightly upwards, looking at the sky, no, the clouds. Why is he smiling like that in the middle of the rain? Jinhwan zoom out his camera to an extent where he can see the boy’s full body. He took some pictures of him standing there when suddenly the school bell rang. Jinhwan looked at his watch and it’s already 6 PM which shows that the students are allowed to go home now. When Jinhwan turned back towards the window, the boy is already gone.

~*~

Jinhwan stares at the picture in his hand. The picture he took this evening. The picture of the boy. The boy with the black umbrella. The boy who stands in the middle of a heavy rainstorm. The boy who smiled at the dark clouds. Many questions appeared in Jinhwan’s head. What is he doing? Why is he smiling? And the most important, who is he?

Everyone knows that rain, is the definition of sadness. Even if you read or watch any other stories, people would plot rain and sadness together. The think is why the hell did that boy smiling while staring at the clouds in the middle of the rain? That Jinhwan couldn’t understand. He stares deep in the photo, scanning the smiling boy’s face and he just realised something. The eyes, they’re black. But a calming colour, like shades of grey. He looks calm and happy which makes Jinhwan more confused.

It was almost 12 midnight and Jinhwan’s eyes are barely opening. He decided to call it a day as he reorganizes the photos that are scattered on the bed. All of the photos that he’d taken this evening. The photos of the boy in the rainstorm. As he was about to put the photos on his desk, a slight knock was heard before his bedroom door opens. He turned towards the door to see, a woman with long black hair covering her face, wearing all white and Jinhwan would totally be scared of that scene if that woman is not his mother. “I saw you mom” Jinhwan said with a chuckle. His mother loves to play jokes like that when he was a child but as he grew older, he’s immune to ghost jokes. He remembered when the first time he went into a ghost house with his club members. While the others screaming like a girl, he just walks in the house laughing at almost every scare given earning a defeated look by the ‘fake’ ghosts.

“You’re not asleep yet” his mother said as she came closer while revealing her face.

“About to, just gonna keep this pictures first” while putting the stack of photos on his desk.

“Wow, new photos!” his mother quickly take the photos and scan the pictures one by one. She was busy comparing photos when she suddenly stares deep into one of the photos.

“I like this one” his mother showed the said photo towards Jinhwan. Jinhwan took the photo and smiled, because it was his favourite too. Yes, all of the photos are nearly the same but this one is different. The photo focus mainly on the boy with the black umbrella. You could clearly see the curve on his lips as he stared at the gloomy clouds. The droplets of rain on the window where Jinhwan took the picture decorates the picture more beautifully. The strong wind that blows that evening, gently flows through the boy’s black raven hair. And to complete the picture, a branch of lightning in the clouds perfectly placed above the boy’s umbrella. It was the most perfect picture for Jinhwan and he couldn’t help but feel proud for himself.

“Who’s the model?” his mom breaks the 10 seconds silence as she look through the other pictures.

“I don’t know. He’s just there” said Jinhwan. A moment silence passes again before Jinhwan asks a question that’s been lingering in his mind since he saw the boy.

“Mom, what’s your definition of rain?” his mother stares the boy’s eyes before giving him a smile. She ruffles his hair before sitting down on her son’s bed and ushering him to follow.

“For me rain are just droplets of water that falls from the sky” she said while looking at Jinhwan who was certainly unhappy with the answer.

“But rain can show emotions,” she continues “people mostly thought that rain is sadness but no. They thought it was the same as tears that falls down but no. People had been brainwashed by tv series, movies, dramas and stories that shows every time someone feels sad, it rains. Rain just shows all kinds of emotions depending on what the person wants. Most people would definitely feel sad, some might say calm and for this guy,” she lifts one of the photos “his definition of rain is happiness”

~*~

Jinhwan couldn’t sleep that night. His mother’s words are still ringing in his ears. …and for this guy, his definition of rain is happiness. He’s still confused. Why would someone feel happy when it’s raining? Don’t they get wet? Drenched by the sky’s tears? He rolls on his bed as an attempt to feel comfortable but his mind is full of things. So he end up standing near the window while looking at the clear night sky. Watching the stars twinkle and the full moon shines its radiance. He needs answers.

He don’t know for how long he’d been staring outside the window when from the corner of his eyes, he saw someone walking on the pavements in front of his house and he’s holding a …

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Black umbrella?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Aha! a fast update! Well I'm not sure if this a good chapter though but I hope you guys like it! 

What's the 'big problem'? Wait for the next chapter!

And also, be aware of other ships because you just cant ignore them! Guess who's Chanwoo's partner? ;)

I have exams in two weeks time so I might not be able to update for a while but please be patient! I might update the third chapter before going on a short hiatus due to exams.

Thank you for reading and thanks for those who subscribe. Comment your opinion about this chapter. Thanks again :)