Past

Black Umbrella

The tall boy leaves the school compound and as usual, he would take the right turn from the front gate. He’s not returning to the house, instead he wanted to meet someone. He passes by a few shops before stopping at one. He enters the shop and he immediately smell a nice fragrance of flowers. His eyes scans the shop which is full of blooming, colourful and varieties of flowers. He walks inside the flower shop, looking at every flower he saw and was stopped by a familiar small figure. The person gave him his signature heart-shaped smile before greeting him.

“You’re here, Junhoe-ah. The same flowers again?” the small man asked.

“Yes, thanks hyung” Junhoe replied. The small man leaves for a while and Junhoe takes his time strolling around the shop. Then, his eyes are locked to one type of flower. He was busy eying the flowers that he didn’t realize that the man had already return with a bouquet of white roses.

“You know, I could arrange these roses with those flowers” the man said as he put the roses on the counter.

“No, there’s no need to. I need to rush anyway” Junhoe said as he walks around the flower shop again while the corner of his eyes still inspects the flowers that had grabbed his attention. Then he walks back to the counter to pay for the white roses.

“Thanks Kyungsoo hyung” Junhoe said as he hand the older some money for the bouquet of flowers before leaving the shop heading towards his next destination. He stops at the door before turning his head towards that one particular type of flower and smiled. Yes, they’re bougainvilleas.

~*~

He kneels on the ground as he puts the bouquet of white roses on the green grass replacing it with the ones that had already wilted. He stares at the stone in front of him before his hand slowly reaches the said stone. He caress the rough tombstone and smiled at the name carved on the grey surface. A name that he will always miss.

Koo Junhwan

He then rest his body next to the grave, his head near the tombstone, making him completely invisible from the eyes of the world. No one could see him if he just lay still on the ground, not even a small boy with a light brown hair. So at that time, it will be just him and his dead brother, watching the evening skies everyday. He felt calm and peaceful despite laying on the ground where tonnes of dead bodies are buried. Besides, why would people be afraid of graveyards? It’s just a place where dead people being buried. It’s not like zombies will come out from the underworld and going to eat our brains. Zombies are most probably myths and people from long before had been scaring us about the undead who will be raised from the ground and eventually rule the world or some sort. Junhoe knows one thing about graveyards, it’s where the dead souls rest or lingers around probably finding a good spot to sleep. We don’t know what these dead souls are thinking and that’s how negative assumptions are made on the dead. Humans are just afraid of things that they don’t know, things that they can’t prove to the living, things that can’t be proven scientifically or by the human mind itself. Another thing about humans is that, their way of thinking is full of negativities. That’s how they got the idea of making horror movies.

Junhoe look at the sky as he lay his head on both of his hands on the ground. The clouds are getting thicker and darker and the rustling of the leaves from the trees are getting louder. He smiled before turning his head towards the tombstone.

“Hyung, it’s going to rain soon”

 

~*~

“Hyung, look at what I draw!” Junhoe said as soon as he enters his brother’s bedroom. Junhwan was busy doing his homework when the small latter came in. He looked at the picture drawn by the younger and smiled. Two boys are standing together on a hill watching the clouds. He assumed that the two boys are him and Junhoe. The only difference between the two boys in the picture is that, one is wearing all black, while the other wearing all white. How contrast.

“Who’s this?” Junhwan asked while pointing to the one wearing all black. “That’s you hyung! You always wear black, so I coloured your clothes black!” Junhoe answered cheerfully.

“So this one is June?” Junhwan said as he pointed to the other one. “Yup, that’s me!”

“I’m supposed to be taller than you” referring to the height level which is totally the same.

“That’s when I grow up, when I’m on the same height as you! I just wanna be like you!” Junhwan’s faced dropped before smiling back again, fakely.

“No, you can’t be like me! Hyung is more handsome than you and much more taller than you”

“But June wants to be like hyung” the small boy said as he pouted. Junhwan looked at his smaller brother before lifting him and carries him around the room and stopped in front of his stand mirror.

“Do we look the same?” Junhwan asked the younger boy who seems trying to differentiate between the two faces. He pouted more and shake his head cutely. Junhwan smiled at the boy’s behaviour but he feels sad too, because he knows, when he was at the same age as Junhoe, his face looks totally the same and it was not a good sign.

~*~

“Is Koo Junhoe a ghost?!” Donghyuk asked for like how many times already and it makes the pounding on Jinhwan’s head worst. When he thought he could connect the dots, another set of maze is given and it is not simple. He turns his head towards Donghyuk with an annoyed stare.

“He’s not a ghost, how many times do I have to tell you? First, he went to school with a registered name. Second, he’s like super famous that I think he could’ve had a fan club. Third, we all saw him this evening and he talked to me! So there’s no freaking way he’s a ghost” but what if all of these are hallucinations? Jinhwan couldn’t think straight anymore. A part of his mind is telling him that Junhoe is 100% alive while the part is simply saying that he’s dead, haunting his life. But what did he do for being haunted by this ghost? Or maybe he died that night, being struck by lightning when I was 4 years old, when I saw him on the pavements in front of my house, and he could only remember my face because we locked gaze but why now? Jinhwan wears his stressed face as he look again at the picture. The boy in the picture has legs but below knee-level, it disappears and there’s nothing to support him on the ground. He’s just simply floating but he can walk. Jinhwan was sure of it. He suspects Donghyuk if he would’ve try and edit this but the younger strictly denied. Besides, it’s quite impossible to edit the picture like that with one photo.

He looked outside the window and able to see the dark clouds forming. The wind blows through the trees making them dance to the flow. The evening sky turns darker as more clouds begin to gather. It’s going to rain soon, Jinhwan thought. Then, he remembered the picture he took the other day, the picture of Koo Junhoe sheltering under his black umbrella as he stands beneath the cold heavy rain. He searched his bag for the picture and when he finally found it, he stares at the photo. The favourite photo he and his mother chose. Just… who the hell are you, Koo Junhoe?

He sighed softly as he stood up and walk towards the cupboard. He took the item that he wanted to take yesterday. A photo album, an old one. It contains the photos Jinhwan treasured most, from when he was young, to the photos taken by him. He wanted to place the photo in the album because he thought that it is precious. He flips through the pages trying to find an empty space for the said picture but then he stopped at a page where there’s one photo when he was around 4 years old playing at the playground in his home area, probably taken by his parents. But his younger self is not the one who caught his attention. Somewhere behind the slide, was a tall figure, wearing all black, walking with a small boy hand-in-hand. This guy…

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hye guys,I read through all your comments and dont worry, June is not a ghost (relieved)

I used the name Junhwan because literally it's a name. I remember searching for Junhwan in Youtube and there's this ice skating guy which is totally not Junhoe or Jinhwan. I dont know whose name I should use for being June's brother so there goes Junhwan~

I solved most of the mysteries in this chapter because I'm gonna leave you guys (sobs) for awhile because I had finals in two weeks. Please wait for the next 3 weeks, gidaryeo~

As a token of forgiveness, I left you my fellow fav readers a Junhwan one-shot titled Just Go (because I love the song so much) Do check it out :) Thanks

-akirazinan