Chapter 2

To Heal the Star

"Wait, why am I following you again?" She stopped in her tracks, making the girl in front turn shortly before quickening her pace. She took a quick look at her black leather strapped watch before replying to Yong Sun.

"Because miss, it'll be bad if someone sees me at this hour. And bet on it I won't let you rest in peace just like that either." The blonde girl shot a glare before running to the place where she usually places her black bike.

"Get on it. Hurry." She said in a nervous tone as she glances over her watch once more. The bell is going to ring by the minute and if anyone sees them, they're dead. More like Yul will be dead. She had nothing to do with this, but something tells her to follow the girl.

Without thinking too much, she climbed up the bike in an awkwardly manner, since it was the very first time she'd ever rode on one. Yul watched in amusement as she stepped on the wrong places, but still manage to bring herself up to the backseat of the bike.

"Aren't you giving me a helmet?" 

"Sorry miss, I don't usually have unexpected passengers and I would rather be safe, thank you. But you won't die, I drive safely, most of the time." The blonde said as she tucked her hair into the black helmet. Yong Sun's mouth fell somewhere onto the ground, How could she do that to her?

"You-" She stopped abruptly when the bike roared at its loudest, making the girl hold onto the blonde's waist almost instantly. Although it was soft, Yong Sun can clearly hear the teasing scoff under the girl's helmet. She was mad, but there's nothing she could do.

"Hold on tight." the blonde twisted the handle more, making the bike let out one more mighty roar before blasting off in full speed out of school.

Yong Sun cling on for dear life as the blasting wind hits her face, her eyes were tightly shut as she hid behind the small back for cover.

After for what it seemed like forever on the two wheeled vehicle, she was confident that she had left her soul somewhere back there at the few sharp turnings that Yul made. Not to mention that she swore hearing Yul chuckle every time whenever she squealed, making her insides boil even more.

She thanked the heavens when she felt that the bike finally slowed down and came to an abrupt stop. She went down the bike and stepped on the ground again as if it was the happiest thing that ever happened to her. The happiness didn't last long when she realised that she didn't recognise where she was, and if she's even in town anymore.

"Where. Are. We?" 

The girl took off her helmet and ruffled her  falling blonde hair a little, just like how she he she would always do whenever she makes her grand entree every morning. But it's just that now she couldn't see it the same way she always does now that she knows that she's female.

She brought her to a nearby Starbucks and return her with two regular sized paper cups. Yong Sun refuses it at first, but after her stomach let out an unnecessarily loud grumble, she just took it and quickly sat down on one of the soft couches to cover her red face. She sipped it in and tasted the bitterness of the latte that she liked, but she still prefer the one she had at the cafe she went during the last round.

"So, how much must I pay you to keep my secret?" she crossed her leg and rested her chin onto her palm. Yong Sun sipped her latte a little too fast hearing this, making her burn her tongue.

"Excuse me?" She felt a little offended. Do I look like the type where money can be used to solve everything?

"How much? Or are you like other girls that want my number?"

"Neither. I just don't want trouble, okay?" she tucked her hair behind her ear as she let out a sigh in frustration.

"So I keep my money, you keep my secret?" Yong Sun let out a soft scoff. After that thing you just put me through? No way.

"So why do you crossdress to school?" the question that she's been waiting to ask slipped out. She'd never knew she's so daring in front of the girl that is capable to do anything to her in school. 

"I have my own reasons." Her finger traced the green logo on her paper cup. 

"Do you want me to keep that secret or not?" Yul rested her chin on her hand again and suddenly finding the scenery outside more interesting than anything else. She looked over to Yong Sun. Ah, I have to answer her question. Yul pursed her lips and let out a huge sigh before answering.

"I'm trans." She said as she ran her fingers back her blonde hair, exposing her wide forehead for a moment before her bangs fall back down, covering it completely. Although it was just for a brief moment, she saw through everything. Both forehead and lying habit. 

"Liar." The shock was clearly seen in Yul's eyes but she managed to remain cool.

"Believe what you want. So, is that it?" She sips on her coffee.

"Of course not, but it's not that I want to have anything to do with you anyway. So, I guess you just owe me one then?" Yul's eyes widened. The deal is too simple that it actually worries her a little. But it's a risk she have to take.

"Deal then." Yul shifted her body closer to the girl sitting on the other end of the small table and leaned her elbow forward, casting an intimidating look.

"But I swear, if I'd ever hear one word from anyone in school about this, you're dead." 

"Okay." She answered flatly. She was a little scared, but she knew that this is not the place to show any form of fear.

"If it's an okay, then I guess it's done." Yul took her unfinished coffee and got up from her chair.

"And by the way, it's Yong Sun."

"Huh?"

"The name is Kim Yong Sun, and please learn your manners, I'm older than you anyways, just so you know." she gave a light poke onto Yul's forehead before exiting the shop.

Yul massaged the area she got poked as she watched the other girl leaves the shop.

"Yong Sun eh?" she smirked as she swept her bangs to the side.

**************************************************

She took the left turning, and then right. She crossed a few roads as if she knew the place for years but in reality, she is just walking aimlessly around in hopes of being able to find something that she could recognise. 

Arghhhhh... I should have just called her to fetch me back...

But her ego is just too strong to let her go back there to face Yul. There's no way she'll be having anything to do with that child. Not ever. Not forever. 

After an hour of walking and getting directions from a few friendly aunties, she finally got to a road she that she recognised. She smiled as she finally made in back to school, but feeling more tired than ever.

She retrieved her bicycle and cycled back home. Her legs felt sore Although she was glad that she actually made it back, but one part of her was furious at the girl that took her so far just to make one deal and yeap, here she is, walking under the sun trying her best to get home.

"Hey mum, I'm home."

"Yah Yong Sun, why are you so late today?" her mother casted a worried look as she saw her exhausted daughter drag herself up the stairs.

"Ah, I went out with a friend today." she smiled before going to her room. She really needs to just take a 8 hour long nap after all of the walking she did today. 

After a soothing warm shower, she slipped into her pajamas and landed face first onto her soft bed, the air conditioner blasted cold air that slowly made her eyelids heavy.

"Unnie?"

"UNNIE!!!" she woke up with a start. Yong Sun jumped out from the bed just to see Whee in beside her with her usual single dimpled smile plastered on her face.

"Yeah?" Her voice came out soft and slightly muffled.

"Hehehe. Thought I'd come visit my fellow neighbour. Say, want to go out for some snacks?" She began tying her hair into a low ponytail. 

" Why me?" She fixes her hair, still feeling a little confused. She looked at her phone for the time. It's 2 am for goodness sake. Does this girl ever sleep?

"Because, the friend that usually comes with me for snacks had stuff to do and I need my snacks, and mum wouldn't let me go out without company. So, pretty please?" Despite still feeling a little confused, Yong Sun was shocked and slightly amused. She knows that dogs like Jjing Jjing are capable of putting a puppy face whenever they want something but she didn't know that humans can do the same too.

"O-Okay. Just give me a sec to get dressed."

*********************************************

"So, unnie. How are you coping around in school?" Whee In was the first to break the silence as they walked down the streets.

"So far so good, I guess. I did manage to make some friends." She smiled as she looked up to the night sky. The skies are clear, making the stars visible.

"But do you know unnie, you've been the talk of the school. And I'm just there like heck, that girl's my neighbour!" Yong Sun blushed a little at the statement but quickly regained her cool as she didn't want to look like she was pleased with it. 

"Then should I go like, JUNG WHEE IN IS MY NEIGHBOUR so that you'll be the talk of the school too?" 

"YAH, unnie~~~" they both laughed it off and they made even more ridiculous jokes on the way to the mart. Who knew that these two could get along so well?

"Say, what do you know bout Yul?" Yong Sun asked the girl that's currently debating with herself whether to get the regular or the large pack of chips.

"Yul?" she slowly placed back the regular pack chips back on the shelf as she faced the elder girl.

"Give up on him, man. Almost the whole school confesses to him but he rejects every single one of them. It's like he's not interested in anything at all." she said as she grabbed the box of cookies beside her and throw it into the red basket she was carrying.

"Huh? No, no. I don't mean it in that way. I mean I'm amused with how he's popular and all, but why does he not have any friends?" 

"Well, I was in the same elementary school as him, but as far as I remembered, he wasn't like that last time." they brought the whole basketful of chips, cookies and watermelon milk to the counter for paying. The younger girl didn't forget to pick some candies at the counter while she's at it. Yong Sun gazed for a moment as her mind proccess the new informations.

Did Yul really crossdressed at such a young age? Gosh, is she really a trans? But something just seems off here...

"Are you buying anything, unnie?" she looked over to the older girl beside her that held her chin and gazes into nothing, probably lost in her own thoughts. The younger girls sighs. This unnie must be tired, she felt a little guilty for waking her up in the middle of the night.

"Hello? Unnie? I'm done here, is there anything you want?" the younger girl gently taps onto her shoulder, snapping her back into reality.

"Oh? Oh, you're done? Then let's get going then." she laughed a little to shake off the awkwardness and quickly tucked her hair behind her ear, feeling a little flustered.

"Thanks for accompanying me, unnie. Sorry if I've troubled you to come all the way here..." She looked to the ground as if she had done a huge mistake. 

"Oh, no. It's no big deal, really. If you need company  just come over, okay?" she laughed a little, making the younger girl reply back with one of the biggest smiles she made.

"Thank you unnie~" she said in an aegyo tone as she leaned towards the older girl.

As they were walking home quietly, a ringtone was heard. Both girls reach out for their phones but it turns out to be Whee In's. Whee In laughed as she waved her phone playfully towards the older girl.

"Same ringtone eh? But too bad it's mine~" she flashed a cheeky smile.

"Ah, Hyejin? Oh, I'm coming right away give me 5 minutes!" she quickly hung up and looked over to Yong Sun.

"Unnie, I'll go ahead first. You're okay on your own right?" Yong Sun nodded. The younger girl dashed forward in an unbelievable speed, leaving her walking alone on that dark street.

As she walked at her own slow pace, the world slowed down. She could see the many drunk and some sober emotions of people at the small stall as she passed. She could hear the laughing, chering and singing of the happily drunken, work probably took a toll on them that they have to rely on alcohol to loosen up after work.

But despite the noise coming from the unsleeping small town she's in, her ears picked up a lovely, rare singing of a classic piano. Being a pianist herself, she could easily tell that this pianist is one of a kind.

Her legs brought her to where the melody gets louder and louder, which leads to a dimly lit bistro not too far away from the stall she was at earlier. The bistro was surprisingly packed, but no noise were heard as everyone fell silent to the beautiful song played gracefully on a small stage at the end of the room.

She watched the stage from the entrance as a single yellowish white spotlight was shined onto the pianist as she gently ran her fingers accross the keys despite it  being a fast paced song.

Yong Sun picked things up pretty fast when she recognised the familiar blonde hair and slim figure of the pianist, but she continued watching. The longer she watch, the more she could observe. She realised that the pianist was actually playing in such raging emotions despite it being quite a lively song.

Her emotions were strong, but her eyes were clouded, as if they were a pair of endless dark pools. And although the song has a strong rage flowing through it, she noticed that she was still playing a gentle song with every fingers each key as if she's handling an infant, soft and full of care.

The pianist finished the last verse in a violent and fast manner, hitting the last key hard and raised her right hand up in the air, signalling the end of her performance. Cheers and whistles roared among the previously quiet crowd as each one of them stood up just to give her the round of applause she deserved.

Yong Sun sworn for her current and next, next and following lives that she wouldn't want to be involved in Yul's life ever. But something hits her during that performance of hers. Something that tells her that the kid needs help. And she's the only one that is capable of doing so.

Yong Sun wanted to go to her. But the taller people crowding in front of her prevents her from doing so. Which leads her to only one way.

The pianist maintained her poker face until she reaches the kitchen, where there's no more audience members to impress. She finally exhale out in satisfaction as she wiped off the beads of sweat forming at her forehead and around her neck.

"Good job you did there tonight, here's your pay. And one more thing, wear more dresses next time. The crowd loves it." The plump middle aged man said as he handed her the small stack of cash. She flip through them a little to make sure that the sum is right before grabbing her dark brown leather jacket and bag to exit.

She said her goodbyes to her boss and the workers in the kitchen, not forgetting to bow politely before leaving throught the back door.

She let out a smile and strecthed her arms and back. The satisfation of being able to let everything out in a performance never fail to make her forget about life for a moment, which actually felt free from everything around her.

She pushed her skirt down as she felt a cool breeze swept by. Urgh, if the owner didn't persuade her to by doubling her pay. she wouldn't even have second thought of wearing this white breezy outfit. The thought of actually wearing this in public made her cringe a little.

"Oh wow, what a surprise." She heard a familiar voice, which made her freeze up in an instant. She looked up to see the girl she met from earlier standing in front of her. She was in a black zipped up hoodie with a grey tee inside, her hair was let down to the side.

"Why must you always appear in situations that no normal human will put themselves into? Are you perhaps, stalking me?" She stared at the girl who crossed her arms hearing this as she let out a scoff.

"Please, I don't ask to be here. There's a word called 'coincidence', just so you know."

"So, what do you want from me?"

"I believe that you owe me a meal." The blonde's eyes widened in confusion.

"Since when?" She scoffed as she crosses her arms as well, copying the girl in front of her.

"Since you the time you left me walking home under the hot sun in a place I'm not familiar in."

"Why does that have to do with me? You rushed out first."

"Shhhhhhh... No more excuses. Now let's go get some tteokbokki, I saw this stall on the way here and it looks really good..." She grabbed her by the wrist and lead her to the single tteokbokki stand at the side of the road.

"Hi, aunty! Tteokbokki for two please." she said in a cheerful tone a she saw the steam rising from the pot .

"Please tell me you're paying for those."

"Nope, you owe me a meal, remember?" she casted a wide smile. Yul was about to explode in rage but since that she's hungry herself, she took out her one of her notes from earlier.

"Are you two friends? You seem close." the aunty smiled as she scooped the steamy red rice cakes that almost made the older girl drool.

"Nope. Just doing her a favour." Yul quickly answered. Yong Sun heard it but decides to ignore it as she watches her food get ready.

Once their food is ready, Yong Sun blew it and quickly stuff one in , only to jump in agony as her rice cake is still hot. She quickly fans in hopes that it will get cooler. Yul watches the whole thing and started chuckling, amazed by the level of intelligence in the older girl.

"Yah, are you a fool?" She smiled as Yong Sun finally managed to swallow her food.

"Oh, but it's yummy." She gave a thumbs up. Yul shook her head as she walked away with her cup of rice cake, putting as much distance between them as much as she could. She let out a long sigh when she realised that the girl was following her the whole time, making her slightly frustrated.

"So, where do you live? I mean, since you work in the bistro here." The girl asked as she stuffed another rice cake into .

"If I answer that would you leave me already?" 

"Hmm, we'll see about that." she said between chews, making the other girl more irritated.

"I live down the streets here." she said as she pointed towards the bright road in front of them.

"Oh, I live somewhere nearby there too!"

"Done? I'm leaving." she quickly emptied her cup and tossed it into the trash can. Yong Sun started giggling when the cup bounces off the bin, which made her pick it up again to throw it again.

"Thanks for the food anyways! See you in school tomorrow!" she waved as she covered from her never ending giggles.

Yul rushed off in embarassment, but deep inside somewhere, there's this sense of joy that she hadn't been feeling for a long time, which made her question herself what kind of person is this Kim Yong Sun is.

Whatever is it, she's just another nuisance in her life.

"By the way, you look really nice in that dress!" she heard her shouting, which made her walk even faster. If it weren't for the short flare dress and the heels, she would already be running.

"Such a weird person." she mumbled in frustration as she walked down the street.

 

**************************************************

Hellow~

Sorry it took me quite some time to post this ><

But I hope you enjoy it~