Chapter 4

To Heal the Star

“Hi, Solar.”

“Solar-sshi, Solar-sshi!”

“Oh, Solar!”

Oh. My. Goodness. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Solar Yong Sun had people everywhere calling her that name. That god damned Yul just have to get back at her every single time whenever he had the chance to, which sometimes made her rethink her actions of going to the nurse’s office on that day.

It all started when they were supposed to construct a simple renewable power plan during one particular class, using of course, mini solar panels.

And of course, Yong Sun was excited and all but she got a little too excited, unknowingly dropped one of the solar panels, stepped on in, slipped and had a big fall… on her bottom. The class fell silent as many helped and asked if she’s alright. All except for one.

A soft laugh was heard among the crowd. And to everyone’s surprise, the owner of the voice was Yul. The usually quiet Yul was actually laughing at a random girl in class.

“How can anyone even fall like that? Are you perhaps a comedian, Solar panel-sshi?” He snickered, making everyone else in the class laugh along with him. In the end, everyone was so busy laughing along that Irene had to help Yong Sun up, the girl’s face was red from the embarrassment, part of her wanted to strangle Yul there and then, but then again, she can’t.

*******************************

“Solar-sshi, Ms. Kang wants to meet you in the staff room.” A random student called her, but she remained oblivious until the girl taps onto her shoulder. She jolted a little before coming to a realization that she was called.

“Solar-sshi?” This wasn’t the first person who called her that ever since, but this new name is just too hard to digest into her. The name ‘Solar’ itself felt like another person who was obviously not her, and it didn’t please her to find out that she has another name that she didn’t approve off.

“Oh okay, got it.” She continues munching onto the pickled radish and let a long sigh when she noticed that the girl was gone.

 “I swear to God, Irene. I. Just. Fell. ONCE.” She ran her fingers through her hair, giving the teary eye look to Irene who just simply replied with an apologetic smile.

“It’s okay, Yong Sun-ah. At least Solar doesn’t sound too bad… I mean how bad can this get, right?” Irene covers to hide her almost-going-to-burst-into-a-big-laugh face. Yong Sun grunted as she got up from the bench.

“I just hope this thing quiet down real soon.” She lets out another sigh before proceeding to the staff room.

*********************************

“Yes, Ms. Kang?”

“Oh yeah, Solar-sshi. You have to fill these few forms to submit-“

“Songsaengnim, did you really just called me Solar?” She made an expression that looked like she was going to cry at that very moment, giving Ms. Kang a shock.

“Eh? Wasn’t everyone calling you that? Ah, I thought Solar actually suit you a lot.” She gave a bright smile, which made the girl feel like passing out to escape the situation.

“But songsaengnimmm….” She dragged onto her words in hopes that it would make the teacher change her mind, but the teacher remained happy and obviously oblivious at the same time, so the hint given wasn’t noted.

And yeah, ever since then her name in school was Solar, whether she liked it or not.

*********************************

She was just walking to her favourite café to get her comfort drink after the long day in school, having to cope with a name she didn’t wish to have. She tells herself that maybe this isn’t so bad, she wants a new start, so maybe this could be a starting step for her to do so.

Well, the positivity WAS in her, until she saw a familiar blonde hair girl sitting by the window in the library. Anger rushes to her head as she makes her way into the small building. She pushes the door open, it was surprisingly empty, just like the time when she first came.

She walked around in a quick pace, until she finds that particular girl with blonde hair.

“YAH! MOON YUL!” The girl that was focused into her books jumped at the sudden loudness. She pushed her gold vintage glasses up and pulled a confused look as she noticed the sudden anger from the older girl.

“Oh my gosh, shush! You’re in a library for goodness sake!” She whispered loudly, her finger quickly raised to her lips.

“Chill, no one’s here anyway. AND how dare you set the trend for all living organisms in school to call me Solar?” She stomped to the seat in front of the blonde, immediately making the younger girl place her hands in front defensively.

“How would I know that they would actually call you that? It suits you though, I must admit.” The blonde laughed a little, before receiving little light hits from the older girl, causing her to quickly flinch away.

“Gosh, I can’t believe that this is actually happening to me. So much for no trouble for me, genius.” She ran her fingers through her hair as she let out a sigh.

“Well, Solar is a nice name. I like it.” She smiled a little as she plays with her pen, making the other girl sigh.

“Be thankful I didn’t say anything like DoReMi or something. That would’ve been waaay worse.” She snickered.

“Well, DoReMi doesn’t sound too bad…”

“Are you actually serious?” The younger girl cracked out a laugh, making the older girl boil in embarrassment.

The younger shook her head as she went back to her papers on the table, switching back to her serious mode.

“If you have no other business with me, then you shall leave. I have work to do.” She started reading the book in front of her.

“And what if I don’t want to?” the older smiled, making the other girl look up.

“Then stay, no one’s stopping you.” She smirked, making her to soon regret her words.

The older girl took up the challenge, she was reading at first for the past 20 minutes, but gave up after failing to get ‘the spot’ that she wanted after rounds of moving about in the building.

The next 30 minutes was spent onto playing with her phone, taking a few silly selfies, laughing at it and then proceeding to instantly delete it.

“Look here.” The girl lifted her head up, which was followed by the snapping camera sound.

The older girl giggled as she sees the picture, the younger’s eyes weren’t fully opened and only her upper row teeth were visible, making her look like a half hamster. The girl let out a sigh as she shook her head, wondering who is the younger one among the two of them.

After a few more rounds of checking her social media, taking a few more selfies and playing games, her phone battery life was left at 30 percent, making her finally put her phone down. She placed her phone back as she went for her next target, Yul.

“So, do you come here often?” She sits across the blonde, who’s eyes were only focused onto the books laid in front of her. She came into a realisation that she never seen the girl in glasses. If she didn’t know her, she might have thought that this Yul might just be another smart, popular girl from another school.

“Why? Are you trying to know my schedules so you can stalk me better, Solar-ssi?” She crossed her arms as she looked at her.

“ Don’t call me that! You’re supposed to call me nnie you know? I’m older than you.”

“Then, act your age. I’d be pleased to call you that then.” She smirked.

The library came into a complete silence as they stopped talking. It was so quiet all that could be heard was the sound of pen scratching against papers, the flipping pages of books and the faint sound of the wind chime hung at the entrance. It was quiet, a little too quiet.

She laid herself on the table and let a sigh out of boredom, her chin was rested on her arms as she stared the younger girl scribbling all sorts of words into her black note book. Her head tilted up in amusement when she noticed that the girl’s notes were really organized and were probably better than anybody elses' in class. Well, a genius is a genius after all.

“Say, will you-“

“No.”

“How did you know what I was about to say? Heck, you didn’t even listen me out.” Yul raised her brows listening to the other girl, but her gaze didn’t leave the books in front of her.

“If you’re thinking of asking me to teach you then forget it.”

“Well, you don’t have to be so mean about it, do you?” She pouted a little, making the girl in front let out a faint smile.

After a good 10 minutes of staring at the younger girl, Yong Sun stood up suddenly, which made the blonde look up in surprise.

“I need a timeout from staring at your face. Wait here, okay?” Her eyes turned into two crescents as she let out a grin, but the other just responded with her usual emotionless face. The older girl exited the library, leaving the younger behind at her books.

The younger girl tilted her head in confusion, but resumed back in doing her notes. Not everyone can survive sitting in front of her while she’s doing her work, maybe this after round she’ll learn not to disturb her anymore.

After a good half an hour, the notes were finished, but the older girl has not returned. The younger one sighed as she packed her stuff, preparing to go home.

But she waited. And waited. Till the point she wondered if the older girl is pulling a prank on her, calling her to wait there forever while she runs away, escaping the boring atmosphere for good.

But still she waited, even after she finished her work. She rested her head on her arms, her gaze didn’t leave the entrance of the library. Her eyelids felt heavy, since she’s been losing sleep quite often these days and before she knew it, she’s already snoozing away on the table.

*********************************************

It was like that day again. It was in the late evening when the rain poured, making the skies look no different as it was at night. It was just like any other rain pouring, until a black sports shoe stomped into puddles after puddles, followed by heavier footsteps from a distance behind her.

Her shoes were soaked from the running and she was exhausted as heck, but she kept pushing herself forward. Her life depended on this, she can’t get tired now. She can’t stop herself from making turns to the back at every second, hoping that she finally outran her chaser.

“CAUGHT YOU!” The stern panting voice was followed by two hands gripping hard at the sides of her shoulder, sending a mix of shock and fear through her whole body. opened, but she was too shocked to even let out a scream. Tears were forming at the bottom of her eyes, her heart beating so fast that it could stop at any moment.

**********************************************

Her body jerked up as she gasped, the side of her eyes were already wet. Her trembling hands clutched the cloth where her heart is in hopes that it could calm down. She looked up, only to be surrounded by darkness, the heavy rain hitting against the window.

It’s happening again.

The girl couldn’t stop the tears that were flowing down nor her heart that was beating faster than the rain outside, her hand covered to conceal her sobs. The sound of the pouring rain outside isn’t helping her to calm down, and to make it worse, the power has been cut out, making the whole building engulved into pitch black darkness.

Her body froze up due to the adrenaline rush, the sweat that were forming at her nape felt like pins poking through them, increasing the uneasiness.

It’s just a dream, calm down. It’s just a dream…

It’s all dark, just like that time. It was raining also, just like that day too…

Unpleasant memories came flowing back, replaying scenes by scenes in her head. She brought her knees up to the chair, her fingers digging into her shoulders as she clutches it so hard it might bruise on the next day. Her sobs aren’t stopping, and neither is her pounding heart slowing down.  

“Stop it… please…” Her pleas were soft and was probably not heard from the pouring loud rain.

“Yah, you alright?” Her head stayed buried in her knees, her sobs slowed down upon listening to the girl’s voice. The older girl can’t fully comprehend what she just walked into, but chose to calm her down first.

The younger girl felt something soft falling onto her head till her shoulder, sending warmth to her already freezing body. It took her a while to realise that it was the same grey jacket the other girl was wearing earlier. It was slightly drenched, but warm enough since the older girl was wearing it the whole time.

Her sobs gradually slowed down as she felt something lighting up in front of her, enabling her to finally see something. She took a peek and saw the older girl, her hair was dripping wet and she lightly brushes through it with her fingers to make her hair not look like a pile of seaweed.

Their eyes made contact, only to be replied by one of her wide grins. The blonde hides her face behind her legs, not wanting anyone to see her in this state. A long awkward silence went by as one decides to hide her face, and the other trying to brush the water out from her hair.

After a long time hiding behind her knees, the girl finally spoke.

“Arghhh, it must be really weird right, seeing me like this?” She chuckled lightly, her voice was weak and out of character. The older girl kept quiet as she stared, unsure of what to say at the moment.

“I’m just not really fond of the rain, darkness and a lot of other stuff, so yeah, happens when they all choose to come together.” Her breaths are still heavy, but she swallowed it a few times, slowing it down.

“I have a lot of things I don’t like as well, so I guess we’re about the same.” Yong Sun smiled as she looked into a distance. The younger girl stared for a moment, noticing the pained expression the older girl was hiding behind her smile.

“Oh! I got you coffee, but they might not be as warm anymore...” She held out the paper cup towards the girl. The girl’s head popped up, revealing her slightly swollen red eyes. She took it, the slight warmness from the cup comforts her palms, the scent of the coffee beans calms her spinning head down.

“Thank you.” She said softly, but the other girl managed to hear it and smiled in return. The rare politeness were pleasant to her ears.

The older girl watched her as she sips onto her coffee, but didn’t dare to ask any questions. They’re not that close to begin with, she shouldn’t be pushing her in this matter.

“Feeling better?”

“Better.” She saw the girl smile in the dim light, putting her slightly at ease.

**********************************************

Just when they thought that they’re really going to stay there for the night due to the non-stopping rain, the wooden door was pushed hurriedly, letting the sound of the storm outside seep in before being quickly shut off by the door.

“Aish, is the power out again?” A familiar voice of a woman was heard followed by a few mumbles to herself about how old the building was and how the power box is probably older than her grandmother.

With a flick, the power was back and the lights illuminate the whole building, making it brighter than ever since all of the switches were on.

 “Omo. You kids are still here?!” The woman crossed her arms when she saw the two girls.

“Yeah, the rain’s too heavy to go back now.” Yong Sun pouted a little.

“Well, I’m here to pack up a few things. Why not let me fetch you two home after I’m done, alright?” The librarian said in a cheerful tone.

“Thank you miss. I’m sorry that we have to trouble you at this hour. I haven’t even thanked you yet for your help before this.” She bowed a little, making the woman giggle in amusement.

“You don’t have to be so formal with me, ya know?”

The car was filled with silence as Yul sat in front with the librarian. The woman looked through her rearview mirror only to see a brunette dozing away, her hair covering her face completely as she sleeps, making her smile at the view. She then turned to the blonde who’s gaze were completely fixed onto the view outside, not wanting to initiate any sort of interactions or communications.

“Where are we?” The older girl woke up suddenly when she heard the car door slammed shut.

“Ah, we’re at this girl’s house.” She pointed towards the house beside them.

So, this is Yul’s house…

She stared for a moment, trying her best to remember how it looks like despite the heavy rain that was shielding the view.

“Is this your first time here?”

“Ah, yeah. I just moved here so everything is new to me.” She replied with a dry laugh as she scratched the back of her head. The girl smiled when she saw her jacket folded neatly and placed beside her, as if it bears a thank you message within it.

“She stays alone in this big house. Her parents live in Bucheon, you see.” The brunette nodded as she listens. They seem to click very well, to th point that they actually had several conversations before proceeding to her house.

After a few rounds of turning into unfamiliar corners and alleys, she finally smiled when she came into a familiar street. The road that she always takes to go home. She lets out a sigh of relief after bombarding the librarian with tons of sorry’s.

“Thanks librarian-nim, I’ll be owing you a lot.” She says apologetically.

“It’s no big deal. Call me Hyelim unnie, it’s waaaay better than librarian-nim.” She smiled making the brunette to reply back with a wide grin.

“Okay, unnie.” She said shyly as she held onto the handle, preparing to go out when the car comes to a complete stop.

“Oh, Yong Sun-ah. One more thing.” The girl quickly turned to the woman.

“Take care of that girl for me, okay? She might seem to be a trouble at first but she’s actually not that bad for a person.” Yong Sun laughed a little, but gave a smile in reply.

Yong Sun smiled once more after saying her goodbye, before opening the car door and dashing full speed into her house (while sounding like a dolphin at the same time), trying not to get wet. Hyelim chuckled, taken aback at the amount of bubbliness contained in the girl.

 

 

******************************************

Wow, that took me long enough. ><

I apologise for those who waited, I really really do ;( (And can I just say I love you guys? XD)

Oh! And feel free to leave a comment (I’ll magically stalk all of them) ;P

Bbyong~