Chapter 3

To Heal the Star

2 hours till sunrise. The girl fell asleep while sitting, her neck stretched all the way down and woke up with a start. Her novel was still in her hands but the pages had flown far from where she stopped last night. She looked out to her window and sees that it’s still dark, making her let out a long sigh. She knew that once she woke up, there's no way she could go back to sleep. She finally decides to wake up after feeling the pain in her back and neck from her awkward sleeping position.

The blonde got up and made a few stretches, a sense of satisfaction was felt when her bones made cracking sounds as she did so. It's weird, but she always liked the sound of it.

She drags her feet to her kitchen, and ruffled her hair as she searched her cupboard for the instant mix coffee powder. She didn't feel too good about waking up at such a godly hour and felt that her day just won't be good without the dose of caffeine that she needs.

The aroma of the sweet coffee lingers in the kitchen as she poured the steaming water into her favourite white mug. She let the smell of the freshly made coffee enter her first, before taking a sip. Her eyebrows came close together, the instant coffee was just too sweet for her liking. She felt that it was so sweet that her teeth could actually corrode from it but she ends up drinking it anyway.

She placed her mug near the window where she likes to sit, the steam from her mug slowly fog the window up. She dropped herself onto the cushion next to the window as she watched the sky slowly turn from the dark night skies to the purplish red morning sky. The skies were pretty, no doubt, but Yul always prefers the night skies better, since she was felt the darkness was relaxing and the silence kept her company throughout the night unlike the day, where the sun is just irritatingly bright.

She plugged her earphones in and blasted her playlist as she continued reading her story from where she left. She had a lot of time left (it's not that she had to be punctual or anything in the first place). She smiled as she thought that this was the very definition of life: being able to relax and doing things she wanted to, without having to deal with the people out there. The blonde took another sip from her mug, her eyebrows met again as she tasted the overly sweetened coffee once again,

Everything was good, except for the coffee. Everything but the coffee.

 

******************************************************

It's already more than 3 hours since class has started, but still no signs of the boy. Yong Sun was actually worried for the boy since he's never this late. Not long after that, she heard the usual rough way the door was opened and shook her head lightly. Why did she even bother?

"I swear, Mr. Moon, you're going to have to pay for the maintenance of the poor door at this rate. What has it ever done to you?" Miss Lee said as she wrote the notes on the board. Nobody would even bulge to see who was it, it was just that obvious.

"Sorry, teach." He said it lazily before moving to his seat at the back of the class. Yong Sun smiled to him as a greeting. Although he clearly saw it, he just maintained his usual not-amused face as he moved all the way to the back. Yong Sun didn't feel good as she was purposely ignored, but managed to contain the fire within as she went back to concentrating about whatever in front.

 

 ******************************************************

The week passed just like that without both of them talking since that very day. It seems that Yul has successfully found a way to avoid the older girl at all cost as well. Yong Sun did attempt to find that boy, but he just knows how to hide himself to the point that she would just end up giving up. She didn't want to be too keen into searching him as well to avoid looking like one of his desperate fangirls. Not that they could find him in the first place too.

The older girl learned it the hard way that Yul was not the type who regularly plays in the bistro after walking pass the bistro every night. From there, she began taking night walks or sometimes even exercise at night, in hopes of being able to catch her playing the piano once again.

At times she would question herself on why is she going so far for that girl. Was is ever since she saw her playing the piano? Or was it that she sees herself in Yul, a person who hides a lot behind a fragile mask? She didn't know. Maybe it's just it was just another of her so called 'gut feeling'. And maybe partly because she just finds Yul really, really amusing.

That one night Yong Sun was jogging pass the bistro again. Ever since she asked the owner about Yul, he recognized her and often greet her as she passed every night, making her slightly embarrassed. This time he was standing at the entrance of the bistro, as if awaiting for her presence and halted her as she jogged nearer towards the shop.

“Hey girl! Your pianist just finished performing tonight. Where were you?” The plump man stood at his door frame as he said so.

“Really? Which way did she go?” She said between pants.

She ran towards the direction he pointed to, but quickly slowed down as she used up all her stamina for the night. But her lips were lifted up to her eyes when she saw a familiar figure lying down at the end of the slide, staring up to the night skies.

As she walked nearer, she noticed that the eyes of the blonde haired girl were closed. Is she sleeping?

Turns out not. And she learnt it the hard way.

Yong Sun almost screamed her lungs out when Yul’s eyelid flew open and their eyes met each other. Yul almost punched the figure in front of her but managed to stop herself from doing so. She clenched onto her chest, checking if her heart is still in the same position after the big shock.

“OH MY-, WHAT THE EFF ARE YOU DOING HERE?!” Her voice screamed in rage, but not too loud that it actually woke up the whole neighbourhood.

“I thought you were sleeping at random places. I mean, anything can happen to people that sleep alone in random places.” She started rambling. Gosh, I must have sounded really stupid.

The girl let out a scoff hearing that and pushed herself up from her sleeping position.

“Do I look like the type that can actually get into trouble at this hour? Like please, look at yourself first.” Yong Sun noticed that she was staring at her upper body, that was only covered with a white sports bra over a black jacket and totally drenched in sweat. She cleared as she covered her chest, making the younger girl quickly switching her gaze.

“And what’s the matter with you treating me like I’m made up of air for the entire week? I thought we were friends?” She said in an annoyed tone, her arms crossed at her chest.

“In case you didn’t hear me properly, I’m only entertaining you because you coincidently found out about my secret. And to be honest, I really don’t want to have anything to do with you.” Something exploded within the older girl. The attitude of the girl in front of her calls for a slap, but being the nice person she is, she held herself back.

“You know what? Fine. I don’t want to care about you anymore. You’re the rudest and coldest I’ve ever come across with in my whole effing life!"

“Good. Don’t ever associate with my life anymore from this point onwards.” The girl had a smug grin on, which sparks an idea in the older girl.

“Of course. Then I guess your secret can be let out then, since I don’t have anything to do with you after all!” The younger girl’s jaw dropped. She didn’t see this coming.

“You wouldn’t even dare.”

“Try me.” She smiled as she ran off, leaving the younger girl all by herself in the playground.

 

********************************************

Well, said is better than done but she will never really have the heart to do so. She understands that maybe she may be just another annoying person trying to force herself into ones’ life, and she should really stop before she actually gets into trouble. After all, the last thing she wants in her new school is to get into trouble.

Arghhh!!! Kim Yong Sun, you're a coward. Or an overly nice girl. Or both. Urghhhhh.

P.E.

Yong Sun is not really the fastest or strongest girl out there, but her stamina is no joke after all that running she did at night. Not to mentions that she stole everyone’s attention (both boys and girls) when she managed to make it through the high jump in an unusual surprising (and unlike herself) graceful manner. She managed to maintain her cool although she got cheers from everyone, but deep inside she was internally screaming like a dolphin and cheering to her own unknown ability.

"Hmp, it might be just pure luck." Yul stared before he jumps over his own hurdle, earning cheers from his usual fan club.

After going through a few laps of intense running, she decides that she should get a head start to the ladies’ shower after being covered up in that layers of sweat.

The shower place is not really clean, but as long as she’s clean, it really didn’t matter to her.

She took a nice, quick shower and walk, feeling fresh as she wiped her hair dry.

Well, until she saw a familiar blonde haired lady. The blonde gave her the same look when their eyes met.

“What on earth are you doing here?” they both said at the same time, making the older one grunts in frustration.

“You’re asking me? I’m not the one cross dressing here, you know.” The younger girl rolled her eyes as she hung her towel around her neck, water dripping from her long blonde hair.

“Washing up of course. You really don’t expect me to go to the boy’s shower do you? It stinks in there.” She scrunched her nose saying that, as if she’s been there and done that. And Yong Sun ain’t going to confirm that.

“But still. YOU’RE A BOY NOW. SHOULDN’T YOU LIKE AT LEAST MIX WITH YOUR KIND?”

“No thank you. They’re made up of a bunch of stinking donkeys.”

“What-” she stopped halfway when she heard the voices of the girls coming from the entrance. She looked over to the blonde that gave her the same expression. She’s dead.

“Try me, you say? See me try then.” The older one smirked, sending chills down the other girl’s spine.

“You .”

Yong Sun looked over towards the younger girl, who dashed into the nearest bath stall, hoping that she didn’t have to die this way. She took a deep breath and huffed it into a long sigh.

“Yo, Yong Sun. You totally didn’t see Wendy falling like a potato when she attempted jumping over the high jump pole. You totally missed the fail of the year!” Irene laughed as Wendy entered with an unamused look on her face.

“Excuse. Me. I. Tripped.”

“No you didn’t. You toppled like a potato. Potatoes don’t do well with high jumps, just so you know.” She laughed again, earning a hit from the girl beside her. All the other girls in her class began entering, each occupying one bath stall after another.

“I’m going to wash up. All this potatoness needs to be washed out from me.” She approaches the stall that Yul entered earlier.

“I don’t think it can be washed out, hun. What stays in you stays in there forever.” She began giggling as she held onto her stomach that ached after all the laughing.

“Shut up, Joohyun.” She began opening the door of the bath stall. Oh my good radish heavens! Does this girl not know how to at least lock a door to save her life?

“WENDY!” her sudden scream made everyone in the room turned towards her direction.

“Oh My God, yes?” her eyes widened at the girl’s sudden action, hands still holding onto the door.

“That stall… That stall had a broken pipe. It’ll burst if you switch the water on. Been there, you see.” She started laughing as she pointed to her own already wet hair.

“Oh my, thanks a lot. I’ll just shower in another stall alright?” Wendy laughed as she closed the door and moved to the empty stall next to it.

Yong Sun cursed at herself. Why must she help that no-good boy who is actually a girl every single time?

She stayed after everyone left, just in case suddenly someone decides to use her ‘leaking’ bath stall again. Her hair is all dried up from the wait and when the whole room got empty and quiet, she let out a sigh as she walked to the stall.

“It’s alright to come out now.” She said softly. The door opened, revealing the blonde. Her dripping wet hair from earlier dried up too, but her face was drenched with sweat. I guess that’s how long both of them actually waited.

“Don’t ever test me. I could’ve rat you out there and then. Be thankful you actually have someone who actually cared for your smart .” She glared at the younger one, and tossed her a towel to wipe her drenched face.

Yong Sun left without waiting for another witty and sharp reply from the blonde. The younger who’s left all alone in the room, holding onto the towel she caught.

“ Heh. ‘Try me’ she said.” She chuckled as she wiped her face. A sudden realisation hit her as she was wiping using THAT girl’s towel, making her almost instantly drop the towel in disgust.

 

*****************************************

That night the stars were splattered all over in the dark skies, which is a pretty rare view, since it’s always blocked by the layers of cloud.

She sits at the end of the slide again, this time not to look at the skies like how she usually does after every performance. This time her gaze was fixed onto the path in front of the playground, her hands were holding onto a white plastic bag, as if waiting for a certain someone.

And there she was, earphones in both her ears, a blue sports bra and her usual black jacket slightly zipped up.

“Yah.” She called out to the older girl but her songs were blasting so loudly that she couldn’t hear her surroundings. The younger girl quickly got up when the other girl began speeding up and getting further from the place she was sitting.

She caught up in no time. The girl isn’t that fast to begin with in the first place, which made her chuckle in amusement. When she tapped the shoulder of the jogging girl, she let out a light scream as she jolted to the side.

“Oh my gosh. You almost scared my soul out of me.” She pulled out her earphones as she clenched onto her jacket.

“Yah, this is for you.” She handed over the white plastic bag to the girl who eye it suspiciously as she received it.

“What is this? Are you plotting something?” She gave Yul the suspicious stare that made the girl sigh in defeat.

“Open. It.”

And she did. And she saw all sorts of snacks. Strawberry milk, pocky sticks, and even some cream bread.

“Oh my gosh, how did you know I liked all of these? Are you a stalker? Oh my gosh.” Her suspicious stare didn’t fade, but instead it intensifies, making the other girl more uncomfortable.

“Hey, hey. How would I know that you actually liked all of those? I just bought according to my own liking and since I have extra, I thought I should give some to you or something.” She switched her gaze towards the ground, making the other girl smile.

“Thanks. I really appreciate it. Wanna share? I couldn’t finish all of this to begin with.” She laughed as they walked to the playground, each with their own snack in their hands. They sat on the bench, both staring at the night skies as they munched on.

“The skies are pretty tonight.” Yul said as she noticed that Yong Sun was staring at the skies as well.

“Yeah, they’re full of stars tonight. It’s really pretty.” Yong Sun’s smile went up till her eyes formed two crescent moons, making the other girl stare at the ground for a moment.

After a moment of an extremely awkward silence, Yul mustered all her courage and finally said what she’s been bottling up since a few hours ago.

“Erm, thanks for earlier.” Gosh, those words felt like thorns when it came out. It didn’t feel right. It’s been a long time since she actually thanked or spoken to someone of her age and it actually felt awkward now that she has to actually talk.

“No problem. I’m glad that I actually get something from that.” She said as she took a big bite out of the cream bread.

“So, are we friends now?” she said between chews, her voice was all muffled up.

The other girl looked over to her to reply, but stopped when she saw a big patch of cream at the top of her lips, forming a white mustache, sending a laugh out of her.

Yong Sun was shocked. At the both fact that the girl in front of her went cuckoo and the first time she actually see the cold Yul actually laughing. And it actually looked cute since her nose was all scrunched up, which was a sight to see.

Until she realised that the cream has been there since forever and immediately wiped it off in embarrassment.

“Do as you like. I owe you anyway. But just don’t get me into trouble.”

“Please, you’re the one to talk.”

“But for your own safety, I’d advise you not to mix with me too much in school. It’ll bring both of us more trouble than what we both don’t want. Understand?”

“Whatever. I’ll know what I should do.”

“So, deal?” the older girl asked.

"One more thing." Yul spoke up, which made Yong Sun raise her eyebrow.

"Please zip up for goodness sake" Yong Sun looked down to her chest, grunts in disstatisfaction and zipped up her black jacket.

"Yeap, deal then." Yul smiled, which ended up making the other girl smile as well.

 

******************************************************

OMG that was a very, very late update. (hides from everybody and flies away)

But forgive me, I have studies to catch up with so my updates will be really irregular :(

But for the sake of Whee In's puppy face will y'all wait?

Hahaha. Whee In's voice : I TRUST YOUUUU! XD

(P.S : Feel free to drop comments. I like reading what y'all think ❤)