The Problem

Picture Perfect

 

Matsimo Italian Crusine

8:12 PM

Location: Seoul, South Korea

 

Even on my dinner date with Kwon Jiyong, I couldn’t seem to concentrate. Something was bothering me, and that something was Leeteuk’s hurt face when I had left him alone for dinner for the fourth time that week.

“Nana, Yah, Nana!” Jiyong’s voice called me brought me out of my reverie.

“Humm?” I answered, looking up.

He sighed, narrowing his eyes at me. “Nana-ssi, you know that I pay for dinner because I enjoy spending time with you and your quirky personality. But this today? This won’t cut it. You might have to pay for your own dinner tonight.”   

“Funny, Ji, really,” I retorted, making a face at him. “You’re hilarious.” But I knew that he was right. I was not fun at all to hang out with today. “Maybe we should just call it a night,” I suggested with a sigh.

“Something on your mind?” he asked, gesturing for the check.

“Deh,” I answered, quietly.

“You know that you can’t use me to hide forever, right?”

“Bwoh?”

“I happen to be a very observant person, Nana-ah, and I can tell when someone is using me.”

I started to protest almost immediately. “Aniyo-I’m not-”

“Let’s get you back home." Jiyong interrupted. "We can talk another day.” 

 


 

 Terrace Crossing Apartments

8:40 PM

Location: Seoul, South Korea 

 

 Leeteuk saw me come in through the door, and made a derisive sound, throwing down the book that he had been reading.

“What?” I snapped, annoyed.

Leeteuk only glared at me. “Did you kiss him”

“What?”

“Kwon Jiyong. Did you kiss him?”

“That’s ridiculous." I told him. "We just had dinner.”

“Haena, I know that you don’t like this engagement, but I like you. I’ve liked you ever since New York, because you were the one who---”

“What are you saying, Park  Jungsu?” I interrupted.

“I am saying that as long as you keep your promise and don’t kiss another guy, I’m yours and I want to be with you." He paused, angry disposition fading away. "I know that you’ve been trying to do, Nana. Believe me, I won’t be that easy to get rid of.”

He knew what I had been trying to do? Was I even really having this conversation? Feeling overwhelmed, I could only an exasperated sigh, and stomped away. “I’m going to bed”


 

 Vogue Girl Headquarters

11:35 AM

Location: Seoul, South Korea

When I woke up the next day, I made sure to pretend as if the conversation from the night before had been a bad dream. Truthfully, I didn't know what to think anymore after he confessed to me.

That day, at work, I found out that I would be shooting a special feature that afternoon. It was going to be Super Junior, and SNSD. Oh, great. 

As I waited for all them to all finish with make-up, I found myself at the snack table, staring in distress at the organic fruit chips and bottled water. From next to me, I heard a sigh. "Pear chips? Why don't they just call it death?"

I jumped, surprised to hear perfect English with no accent what-so-ever. Turning, I saw a slim, beautiful girl with long dark hair, also glaring in distaste at the snack choices. She seemed to be younger than me, but was a bit taller than me.

"Do you think the SNSD managers will freak out if I have some donuts or pizza delivered?" I asked, under my breath.

She turned to me, surprised to hear me as well, and her eyes, which were a unique shade of blue, widened. "Omo, are you American too?"

Just at that moment, Leeteuk came up behind me, dropping a hand on my shoulder. "Ah, so you've already met Minah-ssi." He lowered his voice a little, and continued. "Minah, this is Haena-ssi, who I was just telling you about."

Wait. What exactly was this girl's relation to Leeteuk? How close were they that he has been telling her about me?

"You told her about our...situation?" I hissed. "Aren't you afraid of rumors, Park Jungsu?" 

"It's okay," he replied. "Minah is trustworthy. She's one of us; she's Donghae's girlfriend."

Since when did Donghae even have a girlfriend? Before I could ask, Leeteuk was called away again for more make-up, leaving me with a silent Minah.

I coughed, breaking the silence. "So, Minah-ssi, where are you from? I'm from-"

"New York, I know. Leeteuk has told me already." The girl fixed me with her blue-gray eyes, as if studying my soul. "I'm from Los Angeles."

"And you are here because.....?"

"I used to work for SME, so they call me when they need extra help, like today. Two of the managers have gotten a virus, and are busy throwing up somewhere." She tossed her head, as if tossing away the subject. "Unni, I'm going to call you that, okay? You're older than me, and we should be close, since Hae and Leeteuk are such good friends."

Her forcefull attitude surprised me, but I nodded, agreeing. It was nice to talk to someone in English again.

"But Unni, I don't know how I feel about you," she told me gravely, forrowing her eyebrows at me. "You make Leeteuk happy and sad at the same time, and I don't understand."

"What do you mean?" I asked, even though I knew full well.

"Leeteuk is a really nice guy, unni. You should stop fighting it; I know you like him. You have to like him." This girl talked with such authority, such confidence, that I was floored.

I stared at her for a good 5 seconds, then snapped out of it, changing the subject rather quickly. "Does it bother you?" I asked. She gave me a quizzical look, and I continued. "Does the whole fame and secrecy thing bother you? I mean, I didn't even know Lee Donghae had a girlfriend."

"You're not supposed to know," she replied, just as easily. "And no, not for me. I think a relationship is between two people, so I don't care at all. Besides, going public would put too much pressure on us, and right now, things are perfect with Hae and me. I wouldnt want to change a thing." She sounded so smart, and I decided right then that this girl had her life together; she knew what she wanted, and she knew how to get it. I didn't doubt that she's be able to get it as well. 

"Nana, do you know my good angle?" Kyuhyun had sauntered up, hands in his pants pockets. He was dressed head to toe in Armani, and looked stylish and hip. Tilting his face this way and that, he grinned at me.

"You don't have a good angle, silly," I teased back.

As the other Super Junior members finished make-up and the SNSD girls finished hair, I started to to get up the cameras and prepared for the photoshoot. Most importantly, I ignored Leeteuk. I couldn't get my cover blown as his fiance, so I pretended as if I didn't know him at all. I could feel Minah and her wise eyes watching me the whole time, and I knew that I would have to chew her words over more carefully later.

 

[Step #8: ignore him at work]

 

I noticed almost immediately as the shoot began that one of the girls was very interested in Leeteuk. The leader, Taeyeon, was always near him, always laughing and twirling her auburn locks. Okay, maybe I was jealous. Leeteuk said that he liked me after all!


 

Terrace Crossing Apartments

6:45 PM

Location: Seoul, South Korea

 

"What do you want for dinner?" Leeteuk asked, heading straight for the kitchen after we stepped through the door. I was starving, but I stayed silent, still sulking. "Nana, what's wrong?" he asked, sticking his head back out into the living room.

I plopped myself down on the couch and glared at him. "You know, for a guy that claims to really like me, you flirt a lot with other women."  

"Yahhh, are you jealous?"

"Impossible."

"Nana-ya, I'm not interested in Taeyeon-ssi."

"I don't care who you're interested in."

"Well then....can I treat you to dinner  tomorrow night?"

"Aniyo."

"Then just dinner here in the apartment? I'll cook you something delicious."

How could I turn that one down?


[A/N]: I missed Minah! She is from the main story that I spun this off of. Read Crazy Beautiful for Minah and Donghae's story! So spring is a really busy time for me, so I'll try to update whenever I can! counting down to June already -.-