Seoul

Picture Perfect

Incheon International Airport

1:21 PM

Location: Jung-gu, Incheon, South Korea

 ---------

I really wasn’t a big fan of airplanes and flying, especially flights lasting more than 5 hours. Being a photographer and a New York City resident, I wasn’t used to sitting for such long periods of time, and got restless fast. The flight back to Seoul was no different, and I was fidgety by the fourth hour.

When I finally landed in Incheon International, I was pleasantly surprised with a warm, clear day.

“You got back on a good day, Miss,” the cab driver said as he navigated his way into Seoul. “God must be glad that you’ve returned for some reason, because it doesn’t get better than this around here in November.”

Being rather atheist, I just thanked him for saying such a nice thing, and gave him a big tip for helping me carry my luggage up to the door step.

It had been two years since I had visited my mother, and I found that she had not changed a bit when she came out to hug me. Still the same designer clothes, same black hair tied up in a tight bun, same tight-lipped smile.

It was weird to see her and not be fighting with her. It had been 6 years since I ran away the first time to America, and the last time I had visited, I had stormed out after she told me that being a photographer wasn’t a worthwhile job and tried to secretly enroll me at Seoul University to be a lawyer. But this time, Mom had promised to not interfere in my life, and I embraced her warmly.

“Look at you, Nana…getting prettier by the year,” Mom cooed, looking me over. Her gaze landed on my hair, and she picked at it gingerly. “This hair…is new, right? This red-ish color?”

I would tell that she was trying hard not to say anything judgmental or offensive, and I appreciated her effort.

“I’ve had this color for a little over a year, umma. It’s okay if you don’t like it.”

She shook her head insistently, as if trying to convince herself of her words. “Ani, it’s not that. It looks good on you, Nana. I’m just not used to seeing my little girl was colored hair, that’s all.”

I had to remind her, of course, that I was 24; I was no longer her little girl. 

 

I had gotten a job transfer from Vogue Magazine in New York City to Vogue Girl Korea. The company was preparing an apartment for me but it wouldn’t be ready for almost two weeks so for the time being, I moved back into my old room in my parents’ house right outside of the city. The room was exactly the way I had left it two years ago, and I realized how homesick I had been without even noticing it.

The first thing I did upon my return was call up my best friend, Minhye. We had grown up together, and she was the person I had confided in when I was going head to against my mother. She was all grown up too now, and was working as a personal trainer and a physician. She almost cried at just hearing my voice, and immediately booked dinner for old high school friends of ours who were still in touch.

I saw Minhye again for the first time in years, and she was the same: toned, tanned, and fit. I was usually pretty proud of my petite body, but I always felt jealous next to her toned calves and cut abs. Junho, whom I hadn’t seen for even longer, was a professional soccer player, and was on the training squad for Korea's top soccer team. Even back in high school, he had been the most popular athlete. And then there was Sam, who was the most changed of all. He used to be the guy who would throw spitballs in class and pull out other people’s chairs out from under them for fun. Now, he was a top student at Seoul University law school and was studying to get his PhD.

When I told them what I now did for a living, only Minhye was properly impressed. “You mean…Vogue Girl as in…you get to photograph and work with idols?” she asked, eyes wide.

“Deh,” I laughed as the two boys shook their heads digustedly. “I’ve got my scheduled emailed to me for this week already, and I’m photographing some members from Big Bang on Friday.”

At that, Minhye gave out a fangirl squeal completely inappropriate for her age, and started to giggle.

“That’s pathetic, Hye-ah,” Junho scoffed, glaring at her.

“I’m also going to be shooting KARA at the end of the week,” I informed him.

“KARA?” Now it was Junho whose eyes widened and glazed over.

“Just like I thought,” I replied, rolling my eyes at the unaffected Sam, who was calmly sipping his beer.

“Who’s KARA?” he mouthed to me over Minhye’s fangirling.

I gave him a “I’ll explain later” look, and turned away shaking my head. Going to law school must be the equvilent of living under a rock, I thought. How could Sam not even know who KARA was?

“Can you get me an autograph, Nana? Pleassseee? TOP or G-Dragon?” Minhye asked, finally relaxing. “Who else have you meet in America, hum? Lady Gaga? Brad Pitt? Have you ever photographed Bradley Cooper?”

……has my best friend been possessed by a 16 year old fangirl?


 

Vogue Girl Korea Headquarters

9:28 AM

Location: Seoul, South Korea

 

Living in Seoul was similar to New York City in many ways. In the morning, I took the metro, which took me from my parents’ house in the suburbs into the heart of Seoul. I was supposed to show up at work for my first day at 9:30, and I arrived just in time.

October in Seoul was about the same temperature as October in New York City, so I was comfortable in the clothes I had brought over, even though I knew that I would need to go shopping soon. As a photographer in the fashion industry, my own clothing was observed rather closely by others.

Today, I had chosen to stay warm, and wore my favorite leather jacket and walked into the lobby with confidence. If I had learned anything from working with stuck up models in the past few years, it was that confidence was everything.

The lair of Vogue Girl Korea was located on the top two floors of a tall, gray office buiding, and I got off of the elevator on the 9thfloor to another smaller lobby lined with marble.

“Miss, do you have an appointment?” the girl at the receptionists’ desk asked coolly. She looked to be about my age, and was wearing a designer suit and had her hair up in a loose ponytail.

“I’m Cho Haena,” I replied, just as brisk. “President-nim is waiting for me.”

Immediately, the girl’s face relaxed, and she let out a breath. “Oh, annyeohaseyo, Haena-ssi. My name is Ara, and I’m the receptionist. Sorry for being so rude before, but it is just that many people come in wanting to be models and try to worm their way inside. I’ll be glad to take you to President-nim’s office.”

Her change in behavior shocked me, and I turned, wearily. “Have you ever thought about acting, Ara-ssi? You’re rather good at it.”

“Deh,” she replied with an easy grin, slipping out from behind her counter. “I have shot a few CFs, actually.”

As she led me past some sliding double doors into the inner workings of the office, I found that even though she was a little weird, I could not dislike her. Ara was naturally bubbly and friendly, and by the time we reached the President’s office, she had deduced that she was 2 years younger than me, had dropped honorifics, and was calling me unni.

“Just knock, and you can go in,” she told me, pointing to the door. “President-nim is expecting you already. The offices are all on the 9thfloor, and the studios and sets and stuff are located on the 10th. Your office has already been cleared, so come find me after your meeting and I will show you where it is.” She gave me a big smile, and raised her hands up as fists. “Fighting, unni!”

I watched her retreating back with a grin on my face. I have never ever met someone quite like her, but I felt that Minhye would just adore her.

Taking a deep breath, I knocked on the door twice, and then turned the door handle. It was time to start my new job.  


 

President Lee’s Office, Vogue Girl Korea

9: 33 AM

Location: Seoul, South Korea

 

President Lee looked exactly like I had expected. He was in his late forties or early fifties, and was tall and handsome. Dressed in an expensive Armani suit, he looked as if several years ago, he could have been one of the models found in the magazine that he now ran.

“Sit, Miss Cho,” he said, standing up to greet me. “Your recommendations from our American branch were just superb, and I was really impressed with the portfolio of your work that your boss sent over. We here at Vogue Girl Korea are very happy to have you here with us.”

“Kamsahamnida,” I replied, bowing.

“I really just wanted to get a chance to greet you before you settled in. We have staff meetings on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday every week at 11AM in the conference hall on the 10thfloor. Wednesday is mainly for our staff writers and editors, but your presence is required for the other two.”

After the meeting, I went back out and found Ara at her front counter. She took me on a small tour, and showed me my new office. I told her to secretly rush the coordinating staff and get me my apartment as soon as possible. Even though I was no longer fighting with my mother, I wasn't used to living at him, and it was uncomfortable.

"Deh, unni," she replied, cheerfully. It was always nice to see a happy face. 

 


[A/N]: Setting up some background characters and settings. Um...Teukie might reappear in the next chapter....(hint hint <3) I've been working on my 2min story lately, sorrrryyyy. Also, I have exams soon....so....:/