Fiancé

Picture Perfect

 I closed my eyes briefly, wishing that this was all a dream. Maybe when I open them, I will be in my bed, just waking up. Better yet, maybe I was still back in New York, and all of this was just a realistic and long nightmare.

But when I opened them again, Leeteuk was still standing in front of me, tall and handsome.

“No, no, no, no way,” I muttered, stepping back. My escape route was cut off by the click of the door closing, and I helplessly looked around.

“Waeyo? Do you know each other?” Grandmother asked, tone sharp.  

“No-”

“Yes-“

We spoke at the same time, and I stopped to glare at Leeteuk.

“No,” I repeated. “We met in New York briefly when he wondered into my bar, but we do not know each other.”

“You worked in a bar?” It was Leeteuk’s mother, sounding absolutely horrified.

Ah ha! No Korean mother wants her son marrying a bartender. I was about to tell her all about how I worked as a bartender to help pay for college after I ran away like a troubled teenager, but my mother jumped in with a forced smile.

“Aniyo, our Nana here is a photographer for Vogue Girl. She photographs idol stars all the time, so it’s actually quit fitting for her and Jungsu.”

My mind was racing as I tried to think of more ways and reasons to make Leeteuk’s mother or father hate me. “Mom, didn’t you forbid me to listen to kpop when I was 17? I think you called it trash. This guy makes trash for a living.”

Bingo, a dig at his profession.

“You were supposed to be studying for your exams then, this is different,” she replied, not missing a beat.

With a sigh, I turned to the other woman in the room rudely. “And you are?”

“I’m Park In Young, Leeteuk’s older noona,” she said. I returned her bow, with an exaggerated eye roll.

“Don’t you know how I feel?” I asked. “If you were a career woman in your early 20s, what would you do in my position”

She looked around guiltily, then shrugged. “But grandma’s legacy must be honored, and the one thing she wanted most was to unite her family with your grandmothers.”

I looked at her imploringly, but she averted her eyes, not coming to my rescue. I instead rounded on my mother. “Mom, when I came back to Korea, you promised to stay out of my life. Did you not?”

Mom met my gaze with ease. “This isn’t about me, Cho Haena. This is about your grandmother, and our history. The contract was signed years ago. ”

I didn’t care about my grandmother, or even my history at this point.

“There’s nothing you can do about it, Nana,” Mom added, cooly.

“I’ll just run away again,” I countered.

To my surprise, mom snapped back, voice laced with anger. “Stop acting like a child,” She barked. “All you do is keep running away from your problems, Hana. When will you finally grow up.”

I stared at her, open mouthed. My mother had never spoken to me like this, and I was shocked. Her words hit a sore part of my heart, and I knew that her words were all true. I did have a tendency to take flight instead of fighting.

“Fine.” My voice was curt as I replied.

Even mom seemed surpised at my answer. “Fine?” she repeated.

“I said fine,” I said again, figuring that this was the best way out. I was sure that if I was rude enough to Leeteuk, I’d have him begging to call the engagement off within 6 months.  “I want a long engagement.”

“Of course,” Mrs. Park jumped in. “At least until Jungsu is out of the military and stabilizes his career.”

“So am I free to do whatever I want until then?” I asked. If that really was the case, then I was for sure okay with this engagement. I would make Leeteuk’s life a living hell until he broke off the engagement himself.

“Yes,” grandma answered. “But on one condition”

Of course there was a condition. “What is it?”

“You two must move in together.”

Wait. That was not at all what I had been expecting her to say.

“I thought it was improper for unmarried couples to live together in Korea,” I implored, glancing around at the other adults. There was no way that they were okay with there, was there?

But it seemed that no one wanted to disagree with my grandmother.

This is different,” she insisted. “You guys are going to be living together one day anyways, there is nothing wrong. Besides, I have a nice pent house flat in mind already that would be perfect.”

Finally, I turned to Leeteuk who had been silent since that initial outburst.

“Well?” I demanded, annoyed as his acquiescent nature. “Say something.”

He only gave me a crooked smile and out a hand for me to shake. “Anneoyhaseyo, Haena-ssi, I am Park Jungsu, your fiancé. It’s nice to meet you…again.”

Oh, Park Jungsu, welcome…to hell. I am about to turn into the biggest in this inverse, just for you.


[A/N]: Sorry this is short, but it's about to get fun. Lets see how Haena can can drive Leeteuki crazy, shall we?Just so we remember, Teuk is kind of already in love with her because she gave him advice in New York when he needed it most. I've finished one of my other stories, and Crazy Beautiful finishes in 2 chapters, so I will finally be able to concentrate on this one! Look forward to it :D Oh, for Crazy Beautiful readers, this is why Teukie moved out <3