Chapter 9

Hide and Seek

The summer holidays were just arounds the corner and every year Minjee and her parents go to the same camp resort ever since Minjee could walk. A clip view of beautiful mint green mountains of slender trees with a glowing blue lake resting at the bottom. It’s they’re oasis away from work and stress, and a moment to reconnect with each other as time together is so minimal that at times they don’t every see each other. Minjee parents always encouraged her to invite her friends along since the beginning of middle school and she has till this day, her two closest friends that she had to leave behind at her other high school. However, their distance apart hasn’t changed anything.

Minjee’s parents encouraged yet again for her to invite the new friends she made this year along with her best friends of course. Minjee had no problem with if, once when her parents discovered that they were all boys though, it was too late to say no.

“Camping?” Sanha repeated. The boys leaned in intrigued by Minjee’s offer.

“Yes, it’s only for three days in cabins. There’s hiking tracks and a lake close by” Moonbin continued to eat, hiding his interest.

“Sounds fun, I’ll like to come” Eunwoo smiled, as did Minjee in responses, but having Eunwoo sitting close to her made her feel weird in the stomach. Close after MJ loudly agreed to come and eventually all of them cheered in excitement, except for Moonbin as always. Rocky ‘subtly’ leans close to Moonbin who was trying to ignore him.

“You’re coming too , right?” Everyone intensely watched him with creepy grins for him to cave in. He took a glance at Minjee, who still struggles to hold eye contact with him.

“Got to check with my Mum first, unlike you guys she’s on her own, remember”

“Yeah go check with her, but don’t ruin the mood about it. We all know your mum is happy, you’re just saying that to make Minjee feel bad” MJ tackled down Moonbin, putting him in a head lock to ruffle his hair.

The guys weren’t wrong about Moonbin’s Mum, but he wasn’t trying to make Minjee feel bad, he has always cared for his mother especially when his dad left her for a good-for-nothing women with nothing to support herself. Moonbin’s mum fell in a dark hole for a long time that he was afraid that she wouldn’t see the light again, he stopped going to school for a couple of months trying to support them both. Once she realised what her son was doing for her, she wanted to fight longer to stay with him.

 

After school the boys saw Minjee off as all of them were heading at Moonbin’s for his turn to host the gaming night they do occasionally.

“OMMA!” pushing Moonbin out of the way after unlocking his front door, the boys charge through the house and headed straight to the kitchen where the aroma of Moonbin’s mum’s homecooked food lead to.

 

“I SMELL BIBIMBAP”

“Your favourite’s, there’s major competition between the Omma’s of who can cook the best”

“Between us, my Omma always orders the food, never bothered to cook” Moonbin’s mum nodded with a light laugh. The guys make their way up the stairs to set up their long night ahead for them.

“OH Omma!” MJ stops at the bottom of the stairs and turns to the kitchen, Moonbin dramatically stops midway as he watches MJ enter the kitchen. Moonbin swerves through the guys but they all hold him back for MJ to strike. He leans on the kitchens door frame. “Convince Moonbin to go camping with us. He doesn’t want to go because of his Gfriend is coming!” he giggled. Moonbin fumes, but when it’s one against four he can only yell out his frustration.

 

The clock hand hit 4am, all the boys have completely collapsed over one another in a deep sleep, however Moonbin still had his last few adrenaline rushes kicked in from fatigue. He took a glass of water when his Mother walked in to get ready for work. Instead of getting her breakfast ready she gently leans her back against the wall, watching her son.

“So, what’s this about camping?” Moonbin chcked on his water.

“-It’s just this stupid thing some girl invited us to” Moonbin coughed, clearing his airways,

“…Is this the same girl that was here the other night?” Moonbin gave her silence, “well, she doesn’t look like ‘some girl’ if you ask me”

“She is!” he exclaims, Moonbin turned back to the sink to wash his cup, hiding his pouty face from his mother.

“Then… it will be no problem for me to come” she gleefully smiles

“W-WHAT?”

“come on, I can’t let her parents manage you six all alone, how chaotic haha” Moonbin sighed. He knows once his mother makes up her mind there’s no going back and he would never hear the end of it from his mum if she doesn’t come.

 

An hour of more gaming and Moonbin had enough, all of the boys were knocked out cold, he wished he could be too. He felt restless after talking to his mum and had no sleep all night so he decided to turn up to school earlier than normally… and by fate-

“You’re early” blurted Moonbin subconsciously from the sight of Minjee. She was the first one in class studying ahead of class work for the day.

Minjee was taken aback by Moonbin “…yeah” Sitting in the painful silence, Minjee couldn’t continue to write.

Moonbin faced his desk “about the camp-” he uttered, he hid his eyeroll “my Omma… Wants to come along..” he slightly scrunches his face, it took a lot to force that out of himself, he glanced over to Minjee’s still face staring at him.

“D-Does that mean-” Minjee turns her body to him eager to continue but stopped when the class captain walked between them. Moonbin became colder the moment someone else is present. If he suggests this to her then does that means he must be coming too?… If only their timing was right things would end more light-heartily. Minjee believed that deep down there is still a chance to reconcile with Moonbin.

 

 

Sorry to the very late upload, full time university is not easy haha. I'm on holidays now so lets see how things go :D

COMMENT/SUBSCRIBE/UPVOTE :)

Thank you~