04 Promises

In Your Dreams
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 My heart nearly stopped then and there. It wasn’t necessarily that my parents were strict or that they were unfair in any way. They weren’t business like at all.

If anything they were too comfortable with me. To the point of being overbearing sometimes.

I tried not to completely lose my mind. “I thought you guys were coming back tomorrow morning?”

My dad slung his jacket over his shoulder with a grin on his face, but his eyes were still centered on Taehyung. “Our flight came in earlier than expected so we thought we would surprise you. It seems though you were the one who ended up surprising us.”

Then the worst of the two of them finally voiced her opinion. “So who is this Lee Rian? Your boyfriend?”

Immediately I corrected her. “He’s not my boyfriend! He’s my um-” I was drawing a blank from how Kim Taehyung was standing right in front of my parents.

“We’re classmates. My name is Kim Taehyung, nice to meet you.” Taehyung had at some point turned to face my parents. He seemed to be better around adults than I thought he would be. As he introduced himself he bowed to them with a polite smile on his face.

My mom being her usual self though walked past my father then took Taehyung’s hand in hers quickly. “Well, it is nice to meet a classmate of my daughter’s. Are you sure you’re just classmates though?”

Taehyung was stifling a laugh because he probably knew how embarrassing this was for me. “Mom I already told you he’s not!”

She raised her hands up in defense. “I’m just saying. It is a Saturday night and I found my daughter on our front porch with a good looking boy. Anyone would assume that.”

I rolled my eyes while my father wrapped his arm around her shoulder. “Come on Rian don’t be so harsh with you mother. You know she means well.” He then leaned in to kiss my mother’s cheek affectionately.

This was nothing new for me, but did they really have to make such a scene in front of Taehyung?

My eyes glanced in his direction. His cheeks were slightly flushed pink, but he was still looking at my parents with a little smile on his face. It was definitely an expression I had never seen on him before.

“Mom and dad can’t you take that inside or something?!” My mom raised her hands untangling herself from my dad. “Oh Rian you need to stop being that way. It’s not very attractive.”

She then went over to Taehyung and motioned for him to follow her. “Why don’t you come inside for a bit? I can make some tea for you, or anything you like?” My dad had already opened the door and walked inside, he left it open behind him as well.

There she goes. She was always the provider type. But, I was not about to let Kim Taehyung come into my house or even be around my parents any longer.

I pushed him away from the house up until he was off the porch. “Mom, don’t pressure him so much. It’s late at night, and we shouldn’t keep him any longer. What if his parents get worried?”

My mom was persistent though. She followed behind us. “You could always walk him home, and I could talk to his parents. Could you give me their number Taehyung? I’ll talk to them.”

He recoiled from my mom’s suggestion. His eyes were open a bit more than normal and he spoke with a slight shake to his voice. “No, don’t worry about it! You don’t need to call my parents!”

Both my mom and I stared at him a bit confused. He seemed to notice how crazy he must have sounded because he instantly recovered and reverted back to his normal self. “I mean, I do have to run some errands with my parents early tomorrow so it would probably be best if I went home. Thank you for the invitation though. I will definitely accept it next time.”

My mom nodded her head with a smile on her face, but I could tell she was still a bit confused about his reaction. Although, she would let that go I was sure. She never held onto things like that for long.

“Well, I will hold you to your word!” She pointed her index finger to him. “It was nice to meet you Kim Taehyung. Take good care of my daughter.”

This made me shake my head. She made it sound like she was giving me away to him.

My mom’s words though were sincerely received by him. I could tell by how he smiled to her in response. His smile was honestly one of those rarities that I wanted to savor every time I saw it. “I will take good care of her.”

Surprised by what he said I turned to look at him, but he wasn’t looking in my direction he was looking at my mom. He then finally turned to nod his head at me. “I’ll see you on Monday Rian.”

That was probably the first time I really heard him say my name, and I tried to ignore the fact that I wanted to hear him say it again.

Once he was out of ear shot my mom turned to look at me. “So, give me the details.”

 I shook my head once again then trudged inside as she followed behind me. “There’s no details to give. He’s just a new student at my school.”

As we walked in I smelt my father’s cooking coming from the kitchen. My stomach began to rumble in my stomach. Now this was the food I loved best, a home cooked meal.

My mom closed the door from behind her and followed after me. “He said you guys were friends. There’s a big difference.”

“What are you even talking about? He said we were classmates. Even if we were friends that doesn’t mean there’s anything going on between us.”

I tossed myself on the couch. It was such a long day I just wanted to take a nap before dinner. My mom was relentless though. “Yoongi and Min are friends, but they definitely have something going on between them.”

She was always involved in my friends’ relationships too. “Well, this is different ok? End of story.”

It was clear that my mom had a pout on her face. “You’re no fun.” She began to walk to the kitchen, but before that she turned back to me. “I like that boy though. I want him as a future son-in-law.”

This made me shoot up from my laying position. “Son-in-law?! Are you crazy?! You just met him how could you like him that much?!”

In response she just smiled. “He has a genuine smile. His eyes are kind and honest too.”

“How does his features tell you what kind of person he is?” She didn’t really answer me. Instead she just shrugged. “You’ll come to understand what I mean.”

Satisfied with her vague response she left. I plopped back on the couch frustrated. Was she crazy? What was she even talking about?”

I shook my head. There was no point in thinking about what she said. If anything she was just spewing her sugar coated words like always.

To distract myself I pulled out my phone. I would take a nap after that.

When I opened my phone though I saw the notifications for Jungkook’s text messages. There were a lot, but I knew all of them were from when I came to the meeting place late.

I scoffed. He wanted me to delete the messages, but I opened them anyways. I didn’t feel like listening to his orders.

I was expecting to see angry messages demanding where I was, but instead these messages were filled with worry.

Hey, you’re late. Where are you?

Do you realize what time it is?

Did something happen?

Answer me, or else I’ll call the emergency number or something.

I’m not kidding! Did you get hurt? Are you lost? Answer me!

Was he worried that morning when I ran up to him? Why wouldn’t he want me to see the messages though?

I pursed my lips. There was a stab of guilt in my chest. Maybe I shouldn’t have been so harsh on him earlier. I mean he did mean well somewhat.

The thoughts in my head made me shake my head. “No, what are you thinking? He totally was wrong for what he did!” I wasn’t going to be bought by him.

Although even though I told myself that I still found myself coming back to that guilt for the rest of the weekend.

By the time Monday had come around I had thought about it so much that I decided to be cordial with him. I would return his gifts, but tell him straight up that what he did wasn’t right. Simple enough.

Monday I walked into school early in the morning almost half expecting Jeon Jungkook to be waiting for me at the classroom door like he was before, but this time he wasn’t.

I sighed while switching the big bag full of stuff from one hand to the other. I was hoping I would be able to return the clothes sooner than later. Just having the high class clothes in my possession felt weird.

A bit dejected I walked into the classroom. For once Kim Taehyung was there before me.

Seeing his face made flashes of Saturday night come back to me. I lowered my face so then he couldn’t see my face and how it was flushed. My mom just had to insist he be her future son-in-law. I never heard the end of it.

My parents would be eager if they found out I was dating.

Quietly I took my seat. For once I was the one trying to avoid having a conversation.

“Your parents are really nice you know.” The sound of his voice surprised me. “What do you mean? They aren’t everything you think they are probably.”

I let my eyes look at him. He had his focus on another one of his books, but I was pretty sure he was focusing more on our conversation than the book.

He shrugged in response to me. “Maybe they aren’t as great as I think they are. Even then they are still good people. I can tell that much.”

The sudden burst of compliments for my parents caught me off guard and I found it a bit odd. Yet, when I looked at the expression on his face it almost made me feel like he wasn’t just saying that for any sort of small talk.

“Well, I’m sorry if they were a bit too much. Especially my mom. She can really get out of hand at times.”

For once he smiled a little bit more than he usually would, which seemed to be never. “No, I found it all really funny. I can tell they really care for you.”

I scoffed. “Were you finding joy in my embarrassment?” He shrugged nonchalantly, but I could see the corner of his mouth tip up. “Maybe.”

It felt like a small change. Nothing too big, but gradually it felt as though Kim Taehyung was opening up to me.

The rest of class was quiet, and he didn’t talk much after that. Reverting a bit back to trying to keep our conversation as minimal as possible, but still it felt as though there was a little shift between us.

When class ended I immediately messaged Jungkook. I was going to return these clothes before anyone could catch me carrying such an expensive brand name with me. I especially didn’t want to answer my friends’ questions. More specifically Min.

I waited for Jungkook at the staircase where I texted him to meet me as soon as he got to school. Of course knowing him that was only ten minutes before classes were supposed to begin.

To my surprise when he did approach me he had a smile on his face with his hands casually in his pockets. “Did you change your mind?”

This only made me shake my head what was I expecting? For him to come with an apology?

“No, I wanted to return these to you.” I passed the bag over to him, which seemed to confuse him. “The tags may not be on them anymore, but you can at least sell them somewhere else or do whatever you want with them. But, I can’t keep them.”

He frowned with his eyebrows knit together. “Why? I got these for you to keep. They’re gifts, you shouldn’t reject g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter