10 Kaleidoscope

In Your Dreams
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I could not last the weekend. It was like waiting in line for a roller coaster, or even worse waiting for the ride to drop because all I could think about was Kim Taehyung. The scene of my arms wrapping around him so quickly continued to repeat in my mind.

Every time it did I couldn’t help, but drown in my self-embarrassment. My mom’s constant teasing the entire weekend didn’t help either. Any time she saw me around the house she would just give me this look, with a purse of her lips, and I just knew what she was thinking.

It made me nervous to see Taehyung at school on Monday because as far as I could assume he would be coming back to school.

So when the day came and I sat in my X period science class I couldn’t help my constant fidgeting. Even when I was the first person to arrive I tried my best to find something for myself to do.

The room started filling and it wasn’t until the seat next to me screeched against the floor that my body stiffened. I casually closed my book and tucked the hair behind my ear, unable to look in Taehyung’s direction.

“Good morning…” I paused, considering that I should maybe address what happened Friday night.

I cleared my throat. “Um, about Friday I just wanted to apologize if I stepped past some boundaries. I know that your personal space is very important to you and-”

“What are you talking about?” That voice was definitely not Kim Taehyung. Surprised I turned then to meet eyes with instead Jeon Jungkook.

My body recoiled a bit in surprise. He looked fresh so early in the morning as he pulled his stuff out from his bag. A small scoff came from him. “Sorry, were you expecting someone else?”

Still caught off guard by his appearance I didn’t bother to think twice about what I said. “Yeah, what are you doing in this class?”

He laid out his things and turned to me with a shrug of his shoulders and the same confident smirk on the corners of his lips. “Didn’t you know? My favorite subject is science.”

Recovering a bit from his appearance I rolled my eyes at his bull response. “That’s funny because last time I heard your favorite subject was P.E.”

“Opinions can change.” He simply stated ignoring my confrontation completely.

Another body appeared then in front of our table. “That is my seat.” We both looked up to see Taehyung standing with his strap over his shoulder. My cheeks heated up ever so slightly from seeing him because it reminded me of when I hugged him.

Jungkook responded to Taehyung’s firm voice by leaning back in his chair simultaneously folding his arms behind his head. “Seating isn’t assigned in this class. So sorry to break it to you, but that means this seat is technically not yours.”

He shrugged giving Taehyung a sympathetic look, but it definitely was not sincere.

I could see in Taehyung’s face that he wanted to respond back to Jungkook’s’ rebuttal with a rebuttal of his own, but in the situation there was nothing he could do.

So instead he glanced once in my direction then went to sit in the seat in front of us. Although he managed to throw a glare in Jungkook’s direction before taking his seat.

Class started after that and it was safe to say that things could not be more awkward. While Jungkook was not constantly bothering me or anything. Just his presence next to me bothered me.

It was like every flick of his wrist caught my attention because I didn’t know what he was trying to do with suddenly joining the class. I was on high alert so much that when he tapped my arm in the middle of a lecture it made me jump a bit.

He lowly chuckled at my reaction. “Can I borrow a pencil?” I blinked a couple times at his question before passing him a pencil.

“Thanks.” He smiled at me before looking down at his notes again.

I frowned, this was definitely not what I was expecting. I figured he would be endlessly bugging me.

Before I could look away he glanced in my direction, catching me watching him. I tried to look away before he could see that I was looking at him, but clearly I had not turned quickly enough.

In the peripheral of my vision I could see him lean towards me. His breath was warm against my neck. “By the way, remember our promise. Today the test results come out. If I’m in the top ten then you have to start considering me as someone to like.”

That was when I remembered that the test results would be announced at the end of the day. I had been so distracted that weekend by thoughts of Taehyung that I completely forgot about my promise with Jungkook.

He went back to taking his notes, but my eyes caught Taehyung shift in his seat in front of me. To most they would probably assume he was just changing position, but I was used to observing him. I was able to catch his eyes just before he could look away from Jungkook and me.

People like Jeon Jungkook confused me. It was like looking inside a kaleidoscope. There were so many colors and patterns that were beautiful, but these shapes were not really inside the kaleidoscope. You thought you were seeing one thing, but you were really seeing another.

Class managed to end peacefully, but the rest of the day continued with me now more worried about what the test results would end up being.

Meanwhile my friends were badgering me for answers. Luckily, no one had been injured from the earthquake incident. More than anything else everyone was wondering about my disappearing act after what happened. “Rian, where did you go after the earthquake? I woke up and you were nowhere.” Min sat next to me in class her eyes focused more on me than our teacher.

I cleared my throat. While I couldn’t exactly tell her why I went after Taehyung I had to tell her some of the truth. So then at least I wouldn’t feel half as bad. “My parents showed up so they took me home. I saw you guys were being taken care of though.”

Aware of Yoongi sitting behind us I leaned in to her. “I saw Yoongi specifically taking care of you.”

She shrugged, but there was a light change in color on her cheeks. “Of course he was. We are friends you know.”

My arms folded on top of the table. She didn’t sound very convincing. “Yeah, you are friends. But, don’t you think that you guys are a bit more than friends?”

This made her face immediately flush to a bright red. If we weren’t in class she probably would have started yelling at me, but she managed to speak as loud as she possibly could. “What are you talking about? There’s no way! We are just friends!”

“Yoongi is a good guy. He cares a lot about you and I know you care a lot about him.”

She shook her head. “Just because we care about each other doesn’t mean that there is anything there.”

I poked her arm. “Your face tells me otherwise.”

Her hand cupped her red cheek, but she was still too stubborn to admit she was affected by what I was saying about Yoongi. “Well, what about you? I thought you hated Jeon Jungkook, but clearly from Friday you guys get along a lot more than I originally thought you did.”

I was quick to tell her otherwise, but as I was doing so I found myself remembering what Jungkook said outside the karaoke place. “Min it’s not that-”

“Mrs. Lee is there something you would like to share with the class?” All eyes turned towards me. I glanced first to Taehyung’s curious eyes, and then Jungkook’s.

I gulped then with a shake of my head waved off the teacher. “No, I’m sorry.”

The teacher nodded his head gruffly then proceeded on with what he was saying. Clearly the conversation between Min and I had come to an end. “Thank you. Anyways, as I was saying I am very impressed with the results from this last test. You all have improved considerably.”

He then pulled out a paper with our grades on it, he taped it to the board. “I will be posting the grade rankings up here. So you can all come up here to check your grade.”

After gathering his things he stepped out of the way of the grade sheet. “Class is dismissed now so I will see you all tomorrow. Don’t forget to review what I spoke about during class.”

As soon as he finished his sentence a mob of students walked to the board all trying to see what grade they got. I probably jumped out of my chair so then I could see the results.

It wasn’t my grade I was worried about though.

I was about to come into view of the sheet when a tall body blocked my view. Jungkook blocked my view, but it wasn’t for long because moments later he turned with a bright smile on his face.

“Well, a promise is a promise.” He pat my shoulder as he brushed past me. I was fiercely aware of the smirk evident in his eyes.

I quickly rushed to the score sheet. I had placed fifth, but so far I didn’t see his name. My eyes grazed down the list until I found his name. “Wow, Jungkook how did you score number ten?!”

“Yeah, you never take tests seriously!” People were bustling around him. All of them shocked by this sudden burst of intelligence from Jeon Jungkook. They all had one matching question though.

“How did you do it?” He hushed them all with another one of his charming smiles. “Every student has a teacher. Mine was just very good, and besides I’m a man of my word.” His eyes then shifted to me. He might as well been talking directly to me. “I always get what I want.”

His words were vague so not everyone could really understand him, but I heard him clearly.

I went back to my table gathering my things. Min and Yoongi stood there with their own bags. “Who knew Jeon Jungkook actually had a brain.” Yoongi was in the midst of slinging his bag over his shoulder.

Min’s eyes were set on me though. “Rian is there something going on between you and Jungkook?”

The bluntness of her question caught me off guard. “No, we are just classmates.”

I was worried I would have to answer more of her questions so I quickly rushed out of the classroom. For the first time leaving without my friends.

It wasn’t like Jungkook and I were dating. Sure we were talking a lot more than regular classmates. I just found myself getting tangled up more and more in my lies that it became more of a habit to lie than to tell the truth to them. I always had been the one to watch everything play out, but it felt completely different to now be a player in the game.

When I reached the front gates I saw Taehyung standing there with his hands in his pockets. His head cast down to the floor his hair shrouded his eyes from my view.

As I approached him I found my heart beating harder in my chest. Damn it why was I so nervous?

By the time my feet stopped in front of him his head turned up to meet eyes with me. “So your mom is ok with you walking me home again?”

He shrugged following along next to me. “What she doesn’t know will not kill her.”

We quietly walked next to each other, and then once again like

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter