nine

Songbird

            When Jongin wakes up the next morning, his head aches a little and his vision is a little blurred.

            He forces himself to rise from the couch to walk over to the kitchen and make a cup of coffee to get some caffeine into his system in hopes of waking up a little. Fortunately, Jongin was immune to hangovers from nights spent totally inebriated. But there was still a numbing pain in his head and around his body, possibly from the uncomfortable position he slept in last night.

            After Jongin’s eyes are fully open and the cup of coffee rids of the remaining languor, he peels off all his clothes and steps into the shower. When the beads of warm water washes over him, Jongin’s mind traces back to the memory of his time in Kyungsoo’s apartment, still fresh in his head.

            Jongin had stupidly forgotten to ask him for his number – something he very much regretted. But it had probably been a good thing, both for Jongin and Kyungsoo, he thinks.

            He had no desire to pester Kyungsoo, who he assumes would be very busy ninety-percent of the time. Jongin, too, thinks that Kyungsoo doesn’t want to further his and Jongin’s relation to more than friends. Seeing as Kyungsoo never bothered to ask him for his number, anyways. Jongin remains in the shower much more longer than usual as he empties his mind of all thoughts of Kyungsoo. He wants Kyungsoo to be a mere memory. One that he can take out from the back of his mind once in a while when he feels like it.

            As he steps out of the shower to dry himself, Jongin perceives the sound of his phone’s ringtone blasting from the living room. Still wet from the shower, Jongin’s feet scurry across his apartment, reaching his phone just in time. He ignores the caller ID – something he shouldn’t have done.

            “Hello?” he says.

            Jongin’s face scrunches up in annoyance when he realizes who the caller

            “Hey, sorry about yesterday,” Chanyeol’s voice rings in his ear. “I guess I got a little carried away. You’re home now, right?”

            “Yeah, I’m home,” he answers stiffly, making sure Chanyeol is aware of how vexed Jongin is at him right now for abandoning his own best friend two days ago. “You’re an idiot, you know that, hyung?”

            “Okay, okay. I know it was wrong to leave you there all alone, but come on. Give me a break. That was the first time I actually scored in months—“

            “That doesn’t give you the damned reason to abandon me when you know perfectly well I was too drunk to drive and I didn’t have my car on me!” He yells over the phone, face reddening in anger.

            “At least you’re still alive! How did you even get home anyways?”

            Jongin pauses to think of what answer he should give to Chanyeol. As he contemplates, his mind reverts back to Kyungsoo again. He shakes all thoughts of him and snaps back into reality when he hears the sound of Chanyeol repeatedly calling his name at the other end of the line, waiting for answer. “How did you get home?” He asks again. 

            “I took the night bus,” Jongin lies, even though he wants to tell Chanyeol of Kyungsoo and the warm feelings looming in his chest whenever he thinks of him.

            “Oh. Well, I guess you’ll be taking the night bus more often now. I think I got lucky last time because I used this useful flirting tip, so you approach the girl, or guy in your case, and—“

            “I have no desire to hear about this, goodbye!” Jongin ends the call in an instant then places his phone on the coffee table.

            He finishes his morning routine by eight AM exactly, after throwing on clothes he randomly fished out from his clothes drawer. The result of this arbitrary selection of clothes wasn’t too bad.

            Turns out Jongin looks rather good in a baby pink sweater and ripped, denim-washed jeans.