ten

Songbird

            On the way to work, Jongin attempts to free his mind from all asive emotions that had been taking control of him.

            During most days, his emotions are usually at a minimal. Jongin considers himself an expert in keeping his composure and not let his head get distracted by thoughts, but today all sorts of emotions were bubbling up inside of him. It’s not good for work, he thinks to himself.

            Jongin’s car pulls up in the parking lot of his office building, a twenty-four-story skyscraper with the glossy glass windows. He’s just in time for work, unlike most days. He paces towards the entrance of the building and there’s a large contrast between Jongin and his calm and collected manner with the hectic work environment filled with strained-looking employees.

            And as per usual, the secretary was gawking at him. Jongin makes sure that he enters the elevator as quickly as possible to escape her pair of goggling eyes.

            He arrives in the art department only to be met with the art director and two of his assistants styling a male model that seemed to tower of them. “Morning, hyung. Who’s this?” Jongin’s eyes turn to the tall model with the deadpan expression painted on his face.

            “Jongin, you’re not late. What a surprise,” Baekhyun sneers at him as he holds up two different coats in front of him until he finally chooses one of the two.  “This is Oh Sehun.”

            “Is he going to model for next month’s winter issue?” 

            Baekhyun nods in response as one of his assistants helps him find a good match for the chosen coat with the right pair of pants. “Junymeon says he wants to see you after lunch. Says he wants to check on the progress you’ve made on the next month’s issues editing,”

            “Great, so should I prepare my funeral then?” Jongin grumbles in response. “Junymeon always s on the work I do, no matter how much effort I put into it.”

            Both Baekhyun and Jongin perceive the sound of a small snicker, but it wasn’t from either of them. Their eyes turn to Sehun, the model, whose smile disappears into thin air as soon as he becomes conscious of Jongin and Baekhyun giving him strange looks.

            “Just hope that it won’t turn out as bad as you think it would be. Maybe Junmyeon hyung’s in a good mood today.”

            “And if he isn’t, then I’ll hope the heavens will bequeath me the courage to endure a piqued Kim Junmyeon for the ten thousandth time.” Jongin shudders as the images of being scolded by Junmyeon project themselves in his head. He leaves the art department for his office, feeling a pair of eyes on him. He knows it’s not Baekhyun’s.

            His office is located not too far from Junmyeon’s since Jongin currently works as a junior editor and he holds the position of senior editor, which, in consequence, makes him the boss.

            He’s greeted by the comforting surroundings of his office room. It may be small, compared to those of the other editors, but it’s cozy.

            When he started working here, Jongin thought – or rather, still thinks – that it was an act of biased mistreatment for Junmyeon to give him such a tiny office compared to those of his coworkers. He shrugged it off eventually and decorated the cramped room with the things he found the greatest passion in: art.

            Over the course of time he’s worked here, the number of pictures on Jongin’s wall had steadily increased. A picture of Marchel Duchamp’s Portrait of Chess Players, one of Lichtenstein’s pop arts from ‘63, Magritte’s iconic The Lovers painting, a series of Matisse’s cut outs and the list goes on.

            Jongin heaves a sigh when he sees the stack of half-edited articles that’s piled on his desk. He sits down on his desk chair, takes in a large gulp of his coffee, and begins to work. 

Author's Note: Unfortunately, I have upcoming school exams that will hinder me from updating frequently. I'll make sure to keep updating you guys, however. I apologise beforehand if the next few updates are a bit tedious, but worry not! More Kaisoo moments to come in the near future.