thirteen

Songbird

            A month, but what felt like years, had passed by since Kyungsoo and Jongin’s first encounter.

            In the very same month, Kyungsoo has spent minutes, hours, days, trying to suppress all thoughts and emotions linked to Jongin. He’s getting better each day, truthfully.

            He doesn’t think of Jongin when he glances at the penguin-and-puppy mugs, although that’s only because Kyungsoo shoved the puppy mug to the back of his mug drawer, where it hasn’t seen the light of day since Jongin left Kyungsoo’s apartment.

            He doesn’t think of Jongin when he steps into his bathroom, reminiscing how dumbfounded he was when learnt that Jongin dances in the shower.

            He doesn’t think of Jongin when Kyungsoo lies in his bed at night as he brings his knees to his stomach and wraps his arms around them – the loneliness closing in on him, causing his chest to tighten and his eyes to grow wet with tears. Maybe Kyungsoo had initially hoped that Jongin would be able to piece together the fragmented pieces of his heart. But then again, who was Kyungsoo to Jongin?

            A stranger.

            But that isn’t the main cause of Kyungsoo’s pain. It’s the fact that Jongin had given him so much hope. So much so that Kyungsoo had once thought, hoped even, that Jongin’s manifest warmth and affection would lead to something more. To call himself stupid for once having such a thought was an understatement.

            Kyungsoo was an idiot.

            He was, though he didn’t like to admit it. After all the times he’s had his heart broken, Kyungsoo thought he would able to act indifferent the next time it happens.

            But how could he act indifferent when the stitches on Kyungsoo’s damaged heart were beginning to loosen once more?

             Jongin for toying with Kyungsoo like this. him for giving him false hope. Kyungsoo promises to himself not to let anyone into his life ever again. 

            Whether they be as beautiful as Jongin or not.