six

Songbird

            Jongin chooses to linger for a little while; even though he knows that it’s much more polite for him to leave early, considering the fact that he had only met Kyungsoo not a day ago and he was already staying over at his house. 

            He had purposely chose to step out of the shower half- to see Kyungsoo’s reaction. But Kyungsoo had looked at him with an empty, deadpan expression painted on his face. It was safe to say that Jongin was let down by Kyungsoo’s reaction, or lack thereof.

            Breakfast is rather pleasant with Kyungsoo. He chews very quietly, in contrast to Jongin’s own blaring sounds that reverberated around the walls of the room. He could tell that Kyungsoo was highly irritated by this, something that made Jongin let out a soft chuckle when Kyungsoo wasn’t paying attention to him.

            “Are you performing at a gig somewhere today?” Jongin asks casually as Kyungsoo takes a sip of his morning coffee.

            “No,” he says, eyes oddly avoiding those of Jongin’s. “I think last night’s my last gig for this week.”

            “So what do you do when you’re not performing?” 

            “I have—“ Kyungsoo hesitates a little, before he realizes that it doesn’t matter what he says to Jongin because he knows that it’s likely that they were never going to encounter each other again. “I have side jobs that I sometimes work part-time.”

            Jongin raises an eyebrow. The curiosity is visible in his facial expression. “Side jobs? Like what?”

            “Just, uh. You know. Your typical side jobs that people take up to gain extra cash. You know what I mean, right?”

            He looks at him strangely before nodding silently. “I see. Let me take a guess. Waiter? Nanny?”

            “Maybe.”

            So Kyungsoo is a secretive one.

            This newly discovered quirk of his surprises Jongin at first. Kyungsoo hadn’t seemed even the least secretive throughout their time spent together. Was he normally a reserved person? Was he not as sociable as he had been with Jongin as he was with other people?

            Jongin wanted to know more of Kyungsoo. To be a part of his life. Whether as a stranger-turned-friend or with Jongin’s luck, more. But a harrowing question remains in Jongin’s head: was Kyungsoo willing to let him in?

            He’s not so sure that he was.

            And it pains him to know that his suspicion is most likely to be true.