fourteen

Songbird

            Chanyeol was always one to ask Jongin of ridiculous favours.

            There were the occasional “can-you-please-drive-me-home-I’m-too-drunk” favours, but Jongin recalls that one time his best friend had asked him, in a very much serious tone, if Jongin was willing to pretend to be his butler to impress a woman Chanyeol had fancied.

            Naturally, Jongin was startled by the ridiculousness of his own best friend, despite having known him for a few years. “It’s just too much for me, hyung,” he remembers saying to puppy-eyed Chanyeol.

            He was pleased to help Chanyeol when his favours were rational, so he couldn’t refuse when he had asked Jongin to simply drive his nieces to their new babysitter.

            Jongin attempted his best to repress all emotions of regret as he tries to shush Chanyeol’s nieces, a pair of four-year-old male twins, who were sitting in the backseat of his car whilst simultaneously trying to figure out the babysitter’s address that Chanyeol had written down on a wrinkled piece of paper. Jongin had intelligently stuffed it in his jean pocket. One thing for sure is that Jongin was not hollow of deep remorse that day.

            After checking the maps application on his phone multiple times, he’s finally a hundred-percent sure that they’ve arrived in the right location.

            Jongin face lights up in glee when he sees the name of the apartment complex where the babysitter lives matches the name written on the crinkly, white paper in his hand. A sudden wave of nostalgia hits Jongin when he discerns the apartment building – or rather, how familiar it was.

            Have I been here before?

            The question remains in the back of Jongin’s head as he parks his car. It was as if there was a mystery just waiting to be solved, but Jongin had an insufficient amount of clues to decipher the cryptic codes and unearth its’ answer.

            The two twin boys, Jihwan and Jihoon, were bickering about in the back. “We’re here! Everyone out of the car,” Jongin says with a wide grin plastered on his face.

            He takes each of them from their seats and into his arms. Jongin felt a little absurd holding the pair of twins as he tries to navigate his way through the apartment’s lobby to look for the elevator, but he couldn't care less. All he needed to do now was find a working elevator, after all. When he succeeds in finding it, Jongin is met with a sign that screamed out NO SERVICE in vibrant red letters.

            Jongin mutters a curse word under his breath when the twins were out of earshot, occupied with a game of who-gets-to-successfully-pull-the other-person’s-hair-first. The weight of the twin boys in his arms along with the four sets of stairs Jongin had to climb up brings about beads of sweat to drip from his forehead.

            He began to truly comprehend how out of shape he was when Jongin finally reached the floor of the babysitter’s apartment, panting heavily and wiping sweat off his face.

            The twins progressively grow louder as they continue on with their game, forcing Jongin to look for the babysitter’s apartment in a state of exasperation added with the lethargy from climbing up four sets of stairs. He was persistent in keeping his calm, however, not wanting to scare the poor boys with Jongin’s explosive burst of anger (which occurred very rarely).

            When Jongin finally finds the apartment he has been looking for, his finger reaches out to press the button fastened on to the wall, next to the door.

            The door makes a beeping sound, gradually opening as he impatiently waits to impart with the pair of twins for the sake of Jongin’s overall spirits that were nearing its’ peak lowness.

            He lifts his head from the ground when he realizes door is finally wide open, and he swears – he just swears that he had never felt such a instantaneous, profound change of emotions in his life until today. 

            Jongin was truly, deeply, incandescently happy.