five

Songbird

            Kyungsoo’s eyes flutter open at the sound of someone showering in his dingy little bathroom. He’s cocooned in his soft blankets, pressing against his skin. He must’ve forgotten to set his alarm late night, because normally Kyungsoo wakes up just before the sun rises.

            Rising up from his bed, he takes short, irregular paces as he heads out of his room, one hand scratching his left eye to rouse himself from the remaining sleepiness. As Kyungsoo’s hand comes in contact with the doorknob, he hears the sounds feet moving against the wet surface of his bathroom.

            Was Jongin.. dancing?  He thinks to himself, eyebrows furrowing at the thought of someone who would dance in the shower where it’s wet.

            Kyungsoo shakes off all the judgment towards Jongin to focus on preparing breakfast. He had been so conditioned to making breakfast for one person that he forgot to make two plates of grilled cheese sandwiches instead of one, causing Kyungsoo to panic a little.

            When he’s done with breakfast, he lays out both plates on the kitchen counter, along with two coffee-filled mugs.

            He occupies himself by scrolling through his unread emails at the curiosity of potential gigs he could take up in the near future. A slight disappointment causes Kyungsoo to frown and heave a deep sigh when he realizes that not a single person had emailed him to request him to perform at their venue after rechecking his emails a number of times. Which means that Kyungsoo would have to take a short break from his life as a performer and take up his usual side jobs.

            Someone coughs and startled Kyungsoo, almost causing his phone to fall of out his grasp. Annoyed, his eyes turn to the pair of bare feet standing on his kitchen floor, gradually moving upwards until his eyes meet those of Jongin’s.

            “Oh, it’s you,” He says nonchalantly, gaze fixed upon Jongin — the stranger he met late last night.

            The stranger now standing in his kitchen, with beads of water dripping from his hair and a pair of black skinny jeans hugging his waist, the only form of clothing he was currently wearing.

            Jongin was much tanner than Kyungsoo has initially thought. As proven by the olive-tinted skin of his unclothed torso.

            Kyungsoo swallows his nervousness.

            “Good morning.” Jongin greets him, a gleeful expression spread across his face. “Sorry for causing such a ruckus in the bathroom. Must’ve waken you up, huh?”

            He immediately shakes his head; eyes revert from Jongin’s torso to the pair of cordial brown eyes, staring back at him. “No, it’s fine. I would’ve slept in if you weren’t dancing in the bathroom, anyways.” Kyungsoo avoids his gaze that seemed to penetrate him even when Kyungsoo tears his eyes away from shamelessly shirtless Jongin.

            “We should probably have breakfast now. The food’s getting kind of cold,” Jongin advises as he sits on one of the wooden stool and proceeds to take a large bit out of the grilled cheese. Kyungsoo tries his best not to seem visibly annoyed by Jongin’s chewing sounds that were resonating in his ears. But that seemed to fail, as Jongin returned the creasing of Kyungsoo’s brows with a weird look.

            “What?” Jongin asks, his mouth still full of chewed food.

            “Nothing,” Kyungsoo staves off his judgment towards Jongin to concentrate on eating his own breakfast.

            A momentary silence passes before Jongin breaks it by observing the mugs Kyungsoo has laid out on the kitchen counter. “Nice mugs,” Jongin chuckles lightly at the two matching penguin and puppy mugs. “Are you a fan of animals?”

            “They’re a gift from a friend,” Kyungsoo lies, concealing his blushing cheeks by lowering his head.

            Jongin snorts in response. “Sure. Whatever you say, Kyungsoo.”

            This only causes Kyungsoo’s face to flush even more, the redness on his cheeks reaching both ends of his ears. He hopes, just hopes, that Jongin doesn’t notice the embarrassment that’s exploding on Kyungsoo’s face right now.

            “You look like a tomato.”

            Kyungsoo would have fallen out of his chair if it were not for his ability to hold himself together, even during extremely mortifying situations such as the one happening right now. “N-no, what? My f-face just gets red easily—“

            A hearty laugh escapes out of Jongin’s mouth.

            Kyungsoo is shy, shyer than one may think. So why had he felt so vulnerable, so at ease with Jongin – a mere stranger he met less than twenty-four hours ago?

            A great fear begins to take root inside of him, blooming with each laugh that fell out of Jongin’s mouth, and each heartfelt smile he wore on his lips.