eleven

Songbird

            Ever so often, Jongin’s friends tell him not to get too immersed in his work.

            Despite having given numerous lengthy lectures from his coworker, he still finds himself ten minute late for lunch break because he doesn’t realize how quickly time passes by when he’s concentrated on editing.

            Jongin hears a knock from the door that seemed to resonate in his ears, making him jump a little in his chair. He lifts his head only to be met with the familiar sight of Baekhyun’s wrinkling eyebrows due to his annoyance. “I’ve been texting you for the past few minutes,” he scowls. “Just stop working already and let’s go to the cafeteria.”

            The unpleasantness in Baekhyun’s tone had been enough to get Jongin to rise from his chair and step out of his office, gradually unwinding from his work-oriented state of mind. Jongin listens on to Baekhyun’s ceaseless chatters about whatever is going on at work today. It’s all too familiar to his ears now.

            Office gossip. Rambling. Complaints. His vacant life.  More rambling. More complaints. It goes on and on until they reach the cafeteria.

            Jongin’s ears perk up at the something Baekhyun says that came to him as a surprise, as a particular person’s name was mentioned. “Sehun’s been asking about you all day,” Baekhyun says as they step into the elevator. “Who was the tanned guy, hyung? Is he single? Can you introduce me to him?”  He mimics Sehun, deepening the tone of his voice.

            The elevator came to a halt at the first level of the building where the cafeteria is situated. Baekhyun and Jongin often sit together in the corner of the room, where they can chat and eat peacefully without having to worry of anyone listening in on their conversation. As Baekhyun goes to grab his lunch for him and his coworkers, Jongin heads for their usual table. Only to find out that it had already been occupied by someone else.

            Not just someone.

            Oh Sehun.

            The model who has set his eyes on Jongin ever since their initial encounter just hours ago.

            Jongin groans internally. Out of all the people in the world, he thinks to himself. He dismisses his slight irritation and approaches the model calmly, praying to God that Baekhyun doesn’t take too long getting the food. He can just feel the awkwardness surging on to him as Jongin takes his seat parallel to Sehun’s.

            Seeing Sehun blushing like a schoolgirl doesn’t help reduce the discomfort either.

            “Hey,” Jongin greets with an amiable smile, watching Sehun quietly munching on his salad. “That looks good.”

            Sehun’s eyes move from his plate to Jongin’s, long lashes fluttering and expression blank. “It’s not too bad.”

            There’s a silence that makes both Sehun and Jongin uneasy. Luckily, it came to an end when Baekhyun swoops in the chair next to Sehun’s with a plate of chopped salad and another of veggie noodles. He hands Jongin the chopped salad without a word before rudely gorging himself down on his own lunch. Baekhyun finally acknowledges the intense judging expressions on Jongin and Sehun’s faces mere seconds later.

            Mouth still full of food, Baekhyun rolls his eyes and says, “What? I’m hungry.”

            “Hyung, you’re eating like you haven’t eaten for days,” Jongin watches him with a raised eyebrow as Baekhyun loudly slurps on his noodles, causing a few people to turn their heads to him. “Calm down a little, will you?”

            “Sorry,” his apology doesn’t sound very sincere, but Baekhyun didn’t really have a care in the world when his stomach is faint with hunger.

            “Remind me to see Junmyeon after we’re done eating? I want to mentally prepare myself first. I heard him yelling at one his secretaries today. Seems like he’s in a bad mood,” Jongin heaves a lengthy sigh.

            “Will you stop fretting on about that? You’re going to be fine.”

            When Baekhyun finally succeeds in shutting Jongin up, he lets the rest of his rants and ramblings stream out of his noodle-filled mouth. At least Jongin and Sehun both have one thing in common now.

            They both extremely despise the sounds of Byun Baekhyun eating.

            And so do the other people in the cafeteria, Jongin supposes.