three

Songbird

           It feels far, far too surreal.

            Here’s this guy who Jongin thinks is just so perfect. So compelling in every way possible. Who Jongin thinks he could never be acquainted with. And yet, here he is. Sitting in his car, driving along the empty streets of Seoul in the dead of night. They had attempted to make small talk, which was then obliterated by the apparent awkwardness and Jongin’s inability to socialize with another individual without being fully intoxicated.

            He discovers that his name is Kyungsoo.

           Do Kyungsoo,” the name escapes his pretty plump lips. Hell, even his name was attractive. 

           Jongin had made sure to repeat his name again and again under his breath, familiarizing his tongue with the name. They pass the city lights under the clutter of stars, the awkwardness still sitting uncomfortably between them.

            Jongin fumbles around with his fingers and the hem of his shirt as he sat in passenger seat, occasionally stealing glances at Kyungsoo.

            “So do you perform often? Because I think you’d do well as a professional singer,” Jongin says in an attempt to ignite a conversation to rid of the painfully disturbing silence. He looks at him earnestly, taking in the sight of doe-eyed Kyungsoo with his unkempt black hair and milky complexion.

            “I’m already pretty satisfied with my current career as a local singer. I have recorded some studio versions of my songs in the past, but most of my songs are only performed live.”

            “Oh,” he replies shortly. Sure, Jongin did have questions in his head to ask Kyungsoo. But much to his misfortune, he was far too inclined to create a good first impression on him to have the courage to even ask him another question. Good, in this sense, meaning not inquisitive and not too curious.

            “I could show you the studio version of the song I performed in the bar earlier. If you’d like.”

            Please don’t smile at me like that.

            “Yeah, sure. I’d love to.”

            Kyungsoo’s eyes turn to Jongin, his expression conveying a welcoming benevolence. “Good. You’ll be its’ first listener.”