eighteen

Songbird

            Night settles in much quicker than Kyungsoo had thought, the pale moon now glimmering against the contrast of the evening sky tinted with darkened blue hues in contrast with the azure, light blue tones that filled the canvas of the sky when Jongin first arrived in his apartment. 

            Jinsoo and Jinhwan sleep for much longer than both Jongin and Kyungsoo had initially expected, thought it wasn’t something they would protest over. The high-pitched squeals and uproars of vibrant laughter that filled Kyungsoo’s apartment were now replaced with a comforting silence, shared between the two most uncomfortable people.

            Jongin consistently shuffled about in his seat, shifting the position of his hands from the table, under it, to not touching the table at all. He appeared extremely on edge, attracting the attention of Kyungsoo, who had been busy gulping down on his homemade kimchi spaghetti to look up from his plate and glance at Jongin with a raised eyebrow.

            “Something wrong?” Kyungsoo asks flatly, thought Jongin knows that Kyungsoo thinks that Jongin is possibly the strangest human being to ever walk upon this Earth.

            “No, nothing,” Jongin feigns a smile, reassuring him that Jongin most certainly did not feel nervous in the company of Kyungsoo. “You’re a great cook.”

            Kyungsoo’s expression remains the same: deadpan and emotionless. This would have ticked off Jongin a little, as he expected rosy cheeks and fluttering eyelashes, not empty expressions and short replies. But Jongin was far too occupied in observing the man sitting before him, admiring him, to the extent that Jongin felt like he was about to lose all self-control and just kiss him, right then and there.

            And he does, with the exception of the kissing bit, because Jongin knows of the great consequences that could follow if Jongin just pressed his lips against Kyungsoo’s plump ones without his consent, regardless of how pleasant the thought seemed. The thought of interconnecting his lips with Kyungsoo’s own – it befuddled him.

            Jongin doesn’t even hear Kyungsoo repeatedly calling his name, asking him if he’s okay. “What?” His state of mind has returned to normal, uninfluenced by the thoughts of Kyungsoo’s lips that had just sent him into a daze. “Yeah, I’m fine.”

            Despite having told him that he was fine (which he’s not, most definitely not), the strange look on Kyungsoo’s face remains.

            Without doubting for another minute, Jongin decides that he better not this all up and waste whatever opportunities he has in his hands to make Kyungsoo his.

            Such emotions, fervent and fiery they are, can no longer be denied. As much as Jongin wanted to.

            Jongin had no choice but to give his all and find a way for his lips to find its’ way to Kyungsoo’s own, where they truly belong.