Chapter 7

Tainted

 

 

 

 

Yesung was running.
Running as fast as he could.

His bare feet landed heavily on the grass ground, sharp twigs digging into the soft soles of his feet as the loud crunching sound of dead leaves surrounded him. His heart beat fast in his chest, and his breathing labored as he tried to run faster, his chest starting to ache from the ragged breaths.

He didn’t understand why he was running.
But all he knew was that he had to keep running, because his life depended on it. He was afraid of something, and he had to get away —as far away as possible.
He didn’t know where he was either, the only source of light being the full moon overhead, illuminating the darkness a little, allowing him to make out the details of a dense forest surrounding him.

Some distant shouts behind him caused a cold shiver of fright to rack his body as he turned his head back sharply, and out of the corner of his eyes, he noticed long, silky black hair flowing around him. His own hair, to be precise.

He glances at himself briefly and notices that he had long, femininely slender fingers, and skin as pale as the moonlight. And instead of his usual T-shirt and jean attire, he was wearing a simple white-laced gown that hugged close to his surprisingly curvy body.

Oh.

He was a girl.

There were scratches along his, or her arms that were still bleeding lightly, and bruises littered her thin legs and arms; some looked old, and some looked fresh.
She stumbles on a protruding tree root, her left ankle twisting as she fell forward towards the dirt and grass ground, skinning her palms and knees as she tried to catch herself, a sound of pain escaping her chapped lips. She struggles to get back onto her feet again and a small whimper  escapes as the voices behind her got closer by the second as she hastily wiped dirt and blood off of her hands and onto her white gown.

Adrenaline was pounding through her every being and fear was still evident as she pushes forward again, trying to run in a different direction to throw the mob of people off.

Her scraped, bleeding knees complained with each step she took and her injured ankle shot searing pain down to her foot. Her body burned from the lack of oxygen as she kept running, her heart still beating rapidly in her chest, trying to keep up with her. She could feel tears well up at the corners of her eyes as realization and acceptance finally settled in.

She was never going to outrun them.

She stumbles some more as her legs finally began to give out from beneath her. Her bloodied hands grappled at the rough bark of the trees to stabilize herself as a sob escaped her lips, the voices even closer now, followed by the soft glow of torches.

“Over here!” One of the voices shouted.

Another sob escapes her as she collapsed sideways onto a tree, trying to hold herself up. “Please god,” her soft voice begged, “....Save me.”

“HERE!” A low voice alerts from right behind her.

She spins around just as a dark figure loomed over her, eyes widening in fear as a large hand reached out and —

Yesung awakens abruptly and sits up with a loud cry.
His heart thumped loudly against his chest as he drew in ragged breaths, his eyes darting about fearfully in the darkness.

A hand suddenly reaches out and touches his shoulder lightly and he lets out a short yelp, the hand immediately retracting in surprise.

“Hey, Yesung, it’s alright, it’s just a nightmare…” A soothing voice calls out through the darkness, trying to calm the boy.

Yesung, however, still backs away from the voice in fear, breathing heavily as he tried to regain himself.

“Shhh…..hey, it’s alright now. Don’t worry, I’m here.” The voice continued to soothe, the hand reaching out once again and settling against Yesung’s flushed cheek. Yesung didn’t move away this time as he found the touch familiar, pulling him back into reality.

“It’s alright now,” The soft voice whispers as a soft light suddenly illuminated the darkness, and Yesung allows himself to be pulled into a strong pair of arms, pressing his face deeply into a firm chest as the long arms wrapped around him securely, holding him close.

Slender fingers combed through his blonde hair in a calming manner as Yesung dipped his head a little to press closer to the strong body, inhaling the intoxicatingly familiar smell of none other than his protector.

“Kyuhyun…” he whimpers quietly, and the arms tighten from around him. “What’s wrong with me?” he sobs.

“Shh, nothing. You’re fine now, don’t cry.” Kyuhyun tries to comfort, pressing soft kisses to the top of his head.

“Then what is happening? Why is it happening?” He cries, pulling back a little so he could wipe at his tears. “I just wanted a normal life Kyuhyun….”
The elder was silent as he continued to watch the younger, not knowing how to explain the situation to the boy as he gently helped wipe away his tears.

As Yesung reached up with his right hand to wipe at his watery eyes with the back of his hand, something on his finger caught his eye. He frowns a little when he realized it was the ring Kyuhyun had gifted him, memories of everything that had happened previously finally rushing back to him. He shoots the other a glare when he remembered being quite stubborn about being angry at Kyuhyun and not wanting the ring, and attempts to pull the ring off but Kyuhyun’s hands suddenly reaches out and grabs his wrists, preventing him from doing so.

“Don’t,” Kyuhyun said sharply, his face twisting into annoyance as the younger tried to fight against him, struggling through his strong hold.

“Let me go,” Yesung hissed, finally ceasing his movements and choosing to glare up at the other again instead.

“No, unless you stop trying to take that ring off. You’re life depends on it,” The elder says, “Literally.”

“I call bull,” Yesung declares before attempting to take the accessory off again, only to be stopped once again of course.

It was Kyuhyun’s turn to glare this time as he finally managed to hold the boy still. “If you’d let me explain, you’ll understand why.” He snaps.

Yesung narrows his eyes at the other before finally halting his struggle to cross his arms firmly across his chest. “Fine, please do intrigue me as to why your ring is on my hand when I’ve made it quite clear I didn't want it.”

Kyuhyun eyes the young boy warily before taking a seat by the bedside again, taking a deep sigh as he tried to gather his thoughts. When the boy lets out an impatient huff, Kyuhyun finally tries to explain the situation as been told by the headmaster.

The furrowed brows and frowning lips afterwards made it evident that Yesung was confused when Kyuhyun was done explaining.

“So….you're saying I’m dying, but the ring is preventing it.” Yesung said, surprisingly calm.

“Yes?” Kyuhyun said, more of a question itself than a proper answer, not quite knowing the answer himself considering ZhouMi had promised that Yesung’s health is more stable now with the spell-bound ring.

“Ok, good.” Yesung answered quickly before reaching up to wrench at the ring again.

Stop.” Kyuhyun says angrily, standing up abruptly to grab the boy's left wrist and jerking it away, a small sound of pain falling from the boy's lips from the rough action. “Why the hell do you want to die?”

“Tell me what I’m living for then!” Yesung snaps. “I have no parents, no siblings, no friends….I have no one to love. I can’t even love myself, Cho.”

Kyuhyun was silent for a solid minute as he stared at the broken boy, before finally taking a seat on the edge of the bed and gently grabbed both of his wrists and pulled him forward so that the younger fell against his chest again.

“You can live for me then.” He whispers softly, feeling the boy's hands clench into fists in his hold.

“You’re just a phase, Kyuhyun. A passing fantasy that never stays, never comes true.”

“Make me your dream then. Make me your next goal. Prove to me that love isn’t weakness and that you’ll live on and fight.” The elder says, pressing his lips softly to the top of his head. “Live for me,”

“You're so full of , Cho Kyuhyun.” Yesung mutters, but the elder’s words had struck something from within him. The elder had given him purpose, something to pursue. It was a weak, and semi-hopeless dream, but it gives him a reason to continue pursuing his goal to become a Celestial member like he had promised his parents.

“Will you….Will you acknowledge my love then? When I am able to prove to you that love isn’t weakness?” He asks softly, shifting slightly so that his head now rested on the elder’s shoulder.

“I’ve always acknowledged your love.” Kyuhyun frowns.

Reciprocate.” Yesung corrected irritably. “Reciprocate my love,”

“If, and only if, you are able to prove me wrong.”

Yesung finally pulls away as he looks up at the elder, eyes meeting. “Promise?” He whispers, recoiling a little at how childish he had sounded,

Kyuhyun sighs before nodding once, gently releasing the others wrist to now hold his hands. “Promise,” he answers.

A faint, sad smile appears on Yesung’s lips as he glances down briefly at the ring on his hand. He reaches up with one hand and gently lets his fingers trace down the side of the elder’s face for a moment, as if memorizing his features. Yesung slides his hand to the nape of the elder’s neck and brings Kyuhyun’s face closer, before closing the distance and presses his lips softly against the other’s, whispering a soft “I love you,”

And for some reason, to Kyuhyun, the moment felt more like a goodbye.

 

 


 

 

When morning rolls around, Kyuhyun was back at the infirmary to check up on the younger, only to find the bed empty and neatly made. He questions Amber about his whereabouts, but the young woman merely shrugged, telling him that the boy checked out after ZhouMi and her had made sure he was stable once again.

Curious as to where the boy may have gone to, Kyuhyun begins his vast search across the academy campus for him.

As for Yesung, he was heading the opposite direction from Kyuhyun, making his way towards the main building by the front of the academy towards the headmaster's office.

After Kyuhyun had left to let him rest last night, Yesung had actually stayed wide awake throughout the hours, thoughts plaguing his mind all through the night. He was planning, mostly, trying to make a decision. However, after he had finally made up his mind, the decision was dreadful but necessary.

With each heavy step towards the office, Yesung felt like turning back, but he willed himself not to as he gnawed nervously at his lower lip, breaking the chapped skin once again.

He finds himself frozen at the door to the headmaster's office, his original lip chewing now moved to nail biting as he stared at the looming door before him, hands aching to knock. Finally, after a minute of internal debate and a few weird glances from the assistant, he knocks twice.

There was a few seconds of silence before “Come in,” broke it.

Yesung reaches for the door handle and slowly turns it, pushing it open only a little as he peeks his head in. He sees the elder busily rustling papers about and signing off a few before stacking them together, looking up briefly at the door to see who it may be.

“Jongwoon?” He frowns. “What brings you here today? Shouldn't you be resting right now?”

“Uh, no. I got the good to go from ZhouMi and Amber.” Yesung mutters quietly as he fully steps into the room, closing the door behind him.

“Then aren't you supposed to be training with Mr. Cho?” Leeteuk frowns, slipping a packet of papers into a folder and tucks it away into a drawer.

“I...no,” Yesung answers a little hesitantly. “I actually wanted to talk to you about that.” He says, rocking back and forth on his heels.

“What’s the matter?” Leeteuk frowns, gesturing across his desk towards a chair opposite of him, telling the boy to take a seat. “I’ve already told Cho to take it easy on you.”

Yesung shuffles his way over and sits down awkwardly, his hands wringing together nervously as he debated if he should abort mission or go through with it. “No, that’s not the issue….”

Leeteuk leans back in his seat as he reaches for his cup, taking a few sips of the warm coffee as he raises an eyebrow curiously, listening intently.

“I want to remove Cho Kyuhyun as my trainer and protector.” Yesung blurts out.

Leeteuk’s eyes widen from behind his mug as he inhaled sharply in surprise, followed by a few sounds of gasping and choking. Yesung just sits there silently, staring at the other quizzically as he crossed his legs, patiently waiting for the elder to stop dying so loudly.

“Why?!” Leeteuk manages to rasp out, setting down the mug and hastily wiping at his lips with the back of his hand.

Yesung just shrugs.

The elder’s frown deepens after he had finally regained himself, giving the younger a stern look, wanting a proper response. “You and Mr. Cho are quite close from what I understand. Why the sudden decision? He may not be the most empathetic, but he’s a very reasonable young man, and he’s well-trained to be your protector.”

“I…” Yesung starts, only to stop when he realized he forgot to make up an excuse. “I just don’t want him anymore.”

Leeteuk sighs and shakes his head. “Jongwoon, I can’t just expel him without reason. He’s really one of the best the Celestial’s have. And considering your status, you need someone with his amount of skill and experience to protect you.”

The boy obviously looks displeased at the other’s words. “I don’t care what you do. Find someone else if you need to, but I want him gone by tomorrow.” he says as he stood up.

Leeteuk looked stunned and baffled for a few seconds. “Wh-What am I supposed to tell him? Jongwoon, this is way too sudden!” he says, evidently irritated and flustered by the sudden situation in hand. “I understand that you're my god-son and I’d give anything for you, but he truly is the best!”

“And I appreciate all that you've done for me but….he goes, or I go.” Jongwoon says determinedly. “End of discussion,” he finished, before turning sharply and exits the room, leaving a perplexed Leeteuk behind.

There were two more years before Yesung could graduate from the Academy and join the Celestial Clan — A good two years for him to improve himself and prove to Kyuhyun that love isn’t a sign of weakness. And in those two years, Yesung doesn't want Kyuhyun to be the one training him anymore. He wanted to pave his own path and prove to him that he could be so much more just for his love. His love will make him stronger, and Yesung was determined to show him so.

 

 


 

 

Yesung had skipped all his classes for the rest of the day, and stayed in his room instead, aimlessly staring at the ceiling. He was sure Kyuhyun had spent a few hours searching for him, considering he never even showed up for practice. But he must have been informed about him being dropped as Yesung’s trainer and protector, because the elder never came by his room to check for him, deciding to give the younger the space he needed.

Eventually, out of boredom and fatigue, Yesung fell asleep for a short while.
And once again, he was pulled into a weird dream again.

“Stop!” A loud voice shouts just as she flinches and clenches her eyes shut when the mob approached her and tried to grab her. Behind her closed eyes, she sees and feels a bright flash of warm light that stays for a few seconds, before dimming into darkness once again.

The mob falls into a fearful hush as her eyes finally fluttered open again, eyes darting about nervously at the sound of the newcomer. Her eyes widened at the sight.
There, before her, a man with a golden aura stood protectively between her and the now bewildered mob.

“Who are you?!” A man from the crowd steps out and shouts, in which she could safely assume was the leader of the horde, directing the question to the newcomer. “You need to step away from her. She is dangerous.” he warns.

“I know and understand what she is capable of,” The newcomer says sharply, not moving at all from where he stood between them.

At this moment, it would have been a great idea for her to make her escape, but she found herself frozen to the spot and too tired to run anymore. She looks up weakly from where she had collapsed onto the ground as she stared at the back of the man, unsure if she should trust her savior or not.

“Who are you.” The leader demands again, sounding more agitated by the second. “You don’t understand what you’re doing right now.”

“I am Sol.” Her savior says. “An empyrean being sent to guard and protect her.”

Her eyes widen at the information, confused and befuddled at his words. An angel was sent to protect her?!
The crowd looked just as shocked as she did as they stared at the man before them, eyes wide and mouth agape.

The first one to regain themselves was the leader.
“B-Bull!” he shouts. “Why would an Empyrean being protect this…...this Demon!” He says, taking a step forward threateningly as he pointed a disgusted finger at her.

“Watch yourself,” The angel, Sol, warns angrily.

“She has killed many, and she is a monster! How dare you say you would protect such a horrendous creature!” The leader shouts, earning angry jeers of encouragement from the mob behind him. “Step away from her immediately! Let us kill her!”

Several members of the mob managed to push past the angel, fear replacing her bewilderment as they reached for her again. She scrambles to get back onto her feet again, but one of the men grabs her roughly by the hair and yanks her back.

“Release her!” Sol shouts, followed by a blinding flash of light.

Yesung wakes up with a start, his heart beating rapidly in his chest again as he sits up in bed.
He lets out a frustrated sound as he climbs out of bed, angry and irritated at all these weird dreams. He really needs to consult someone about these nightmares….

He runs his fingers through his unruly blonde hair as he made his way towards his room balcony for some fresh air. He steps out and shudders at the sudden cool breeze that attacks his skin, reaching up instinctively to rub at his arms.

He shuffles his way over to the railing and leans forward onto it, relaxing a little as he got used to the coldness. Yesung lets out a tired sigh as he glances around campus, his room being up higher, allowing him a better view of the campus. Pugnator Academy was in a very isolated area out in the countryside, surrounded by fields of grass and forestry. It was very scenic and relaxing to say the least.

However, movement from below catches his eyes, bringing him out of his thoughts.
He shifts and peers below to see a figure walking out of the academy's grand doors, leaving the campus. And upon closer inspection, Yesung realized it was Kyuhyun.

He was leaving already, just as Yesung had requested for.

In the distance, a car was pulling up to the end of the road, awaiting him.
Kyuhyun must’ve known Yesung was there, because he turns back and looks up towards the younger.

His breath catches in his throat as their eyes met briefly, Yesung moving back a little so that he was standing straight now. He didn’t know what to do in this situation. Wave goodbye? Ignore him? Shout that he loves him again?

Yesung didn’t have to do anything, however, because Kyuhyun initiated first: With one arm bent in front, and the other behind his back, he leaned forward into a formal bow — one that Yesung was very familiar with.

It was the bow that Kyuhyun would always give to the younger mockingly whenever the boy was displeased, followed by words that always made Yesung blush and heart rate to pick up.

“Yes, your highness”
“Whatever pleases you, princess.”
“I will see you tonight, then.”
“Sweet dreams, Yesung.”

And despite being too far away to hear his words this time, Yesung knew what the bow meant.

 

“Farewell…..until we meet again, love.”

 


 

 


A/N: Yo Yo! What's up? Sorry for taking so long to update, and for such a short chapter! I've been a bit busy preparing for Uni and stuff.....😣 (This chapter has not been edited BTW so its lowkey until I have time to reread it all lmao)
I kept this chapter a bit short because Spoiler Alert! (not really) I wanted to do a time jump for the next chapter, so I had to cut it off before the time jump. Gotta save that for next time 😂😂😂 
Ah~ I've been debating if I wanted to add a chapter in this story, but decided against it. However, I may just start an entirely new story that will be rated-M since KyuSung's rated-M stories have been a bit quiet lately....

Quick question, what do you do in a situation where someone's story sounds similar to your own, but you're not sure? I at confrontations....

Anyways, please do subscribe and leave many comments! I really love reading everyone's comments 😊💕