Chapter 5

Tainted

 

 

 

 

 

Yesung had woken up to an empty bed, the other half of the bed cold, indicating that the trainer has been gone for awhile. He frowns a little, reaching towards the bed stand for his phone to see if the other had sent him a message, only to see that he had no notifications. He unlocks it and sends  a quick message to the other.

 

Where are you?

 

He waited impatiently for several minutes, waiting for the other’s reply, but received none. He lets out an angry huff, making a mental note to give him an earful when he finds him again. Just as he slid out of bed, the school nurse—Amber—entered, giving the younger a questioning look.

“Are you feeling better?” She asks, setting her stuff down on a chair by her office that was connected to the infirmary.

“I— y-yeah, I feel fine, actually.” Yesung stammers, eyes darting down to the floor briefly in search of his shoes.

“Alright, if you say so,” She shrugs, before moving towards one of the cabinets and opening it. “I want you to take one of these daily. These vitamins will help with regaining your strength and energy as a Dhampir, since we heal differently.” Amber informs as she counts out several large pills from a bottle and drops them into a small baggie before handing them to the younger who stared at them in disgust. “You have to take them.”

“They’re so big…” The younger mutters, face scrunching a little in displeasure as he took it from her gingerly. “I’m going to choke to death before any illnesses take me.Can’t you just like, I don’t know, write me a note and excuse me from my classes for several days?”

“You wish!” the young woman said with a roll of her eyes. “I know you are with Mr.Cho a lot, so I told him to watch and make sure you are taking them. He has my permission to to manually force you if necessary.”

“He can manually force me to do anything, anytime he wants,” Yesung implies, earning a quirk of an eyebrow from the female who then chose not to say anything.

Anyways,” She starts again. “I won’t write you a note, but you have permission to punch Mr.Cho if he is exhausting you again.”

“You know he will just defend himself which puts me in more danger than necessary…” the student sighs, once again having comical flashbacks of Kyuhyun taking him down in a flash.

“Well if he does, then you just get your back here and I’ll take care of you, and then you can attempt again.” Amber shrugs before waving him at him impatiently. “Hurry up now, got any more questions? I’ve got work to do.”

Yesung frowns a little as he glances around the empty infirmary, the only sign of someone ever being here being the bed he had slept in overnight. “Um….I’m literally your only patient, Miss Amber. What work would you possibly have?”

She narrows her eyes at the other as she crossed her arms over her chest. “There is none now, but if you say anything more, I will break your leg so that I will have one.”

“Alright...” Yesung swallowed, throwing his hands up in defeat as he took a wary step back. “Why do I have to take vitamins though? It was only a fever...”

Amber looks up briefly from where she was busy writing something on a clipboard, before snatching the paper off and handing it to Yesung, the younger briefly scanning it only to realize it was his medication schedule.

“Because you are of royal blood. We can’t risk you getting sick and stuff. I still don’t think you understand how important you are to the Dhampirs, Kim Jongwoon.”

“Oh…” was all the blonde managed at her response. Maybe that was why Kyuhyun stayed last night. It wasn’t because he cared; he stayed only out of guilt. That’s why he was gone now.
But what of the kiss? Was it only because it was his birthday? And admitting that he fancied him? Probably just another one of Kyuhyun’s ploys.

Yesung sighed sadly to himself. He should’ve known.

“Anymore questions?” The nurse asked, not noticing the sudden drop of mood in the boy.

“Well, I mean, now that we’re on the subject of Royal Dhampirs, would you mind discussing more with me about it? It seems like you know a lot, and there are no classes or anything on it. We barely cover it in History class because Royal dhampirs are just so…..rare.”

“I guess so,” The woman says, feigning exasperation before gesturing for the other to take a seat since the explanation could be lengthy. “Let’s start from the beginning, shall we?”

Yesung eagerly takes a seat across the woman, his on the edge of the seat as he leaned in close, excitement evident in his brown eyes.

“So Dhampirs are separated into three clans that you may choose from after finishing your education at the Academies. The three are the Eruditi Clan, Serenity Clan, and Celestial Clan. Eruditi’s are the scholars, the smarts and brains of the Dhampirs, so they are the most trusted and reliable clan. Serenity Clan is basically our government, in charge of the Dhampir society, and is also the clan that is considered the highest amongst the three. And Celestial’s, from what I hear you are training to become apart of, are the warriors— the fighters and defenders of not only Dhampirs, but humans too, making them the most respected.”

The student stares at her for a second, before nodding once, not knowing quite how royalty fits in with the clans since every dhampir was raised upon this knowledge already.

“Royal dhampirs are born with powers that awaken when they reach adulthood at eighteen years of age. Most common ones are telekinesis, telepathy, shapeshifting, and on rare instances, spellcasting. Most Royals are raised and trained to join the Eruditi or Serenity Clan to keep them out of harm’s way, so it is rare to ever find a royal in the Celestial Clan. Royal Dhampir’s powers are divided into two categories: Defensive and Offensive. All of the powers fit under Defensive, but if executed in a certain way, it could be Offensive too, such as Shapeshifting or telekinesis. However, we have never had a full offensive or combat royal ability. There are myths about it, but you could just read into that later.”

Yesung was now staring at the other with his mouth slightly agape. There was so much to learn and he had so little time to choose and comprehend it all, now that he is eighteen and considered an adult. “Is there any way to tell what your powers are? Or if they have even appeared yet?” he asks, biting his lip a little to hopefully suppress the keenness in his voice, but his wide, enthusiastic eyes gave it all away, causing the nurse to laugh lightly at his childish awe.

“From what I’ve heard, sometimes it's hard for the dhampir to tell what their abilities are. According to some, it emerges out of nowhere, some even in the most inconvenient of times.” Amber shrugs. “However, there is a way to tell if they are appearing soon. Many of the dhampirs experience physical changes in their bodies before their abilities fully awaken.”

“Um….like puberty?”

“No, not quite.” She responds with a small frown. “For example, a spellcaster from Eruditi, his natural black hair became silver.” Amber explained, before adding “He’s actually quite attractive with it.”

“Oh god, no, I don’t want silver hair.” Yesung gasps, his hands immediately flying up to touch his blonde locks.

“You’re almost there anyways,” Amber snorts with another roll of her eyes. “There are other changes too. Some subtle, some not so.”

“That’s not very comforting still.” The boy mutters, finally removing his hands from his hair. “Do you know anything about the clans, then? Celestial Clan to be specific?”

“Mmm….not really. I’m an Eruditi, but my brother, Henry, is a Celestial. I know the basics, I guess. Let’s see….” The nurse mutters, tapping her chin thoughtfully. “There are five main ranks in the Celestial Clan; Rank 5 being the lowest, mostly consisted of the newcomers that are still training to become a proper member. There is a mission board at the Celestial Clan headquarters that have thousands of missions that need to be completed, and each mission would be separated into categories based on the difficulty of it — One-Star being the easiest, and Five-Star being the hardest. And through those missions, you can prove yourself to the clan to be promoted up the ranks. Rank 5 members are only allowed to choose from the One-Star missions, since they are less difficult. However, as you move up the ranks, let’s say Rank 2, you are able to accept missions from One-Star through Four-Star, no higher. If you are a Rank 1 member, you may accept any level mission, one through five-star.”

“That sounds like a lot of work,” Yesung says quietly, now wondering how the hell someone as young as Kyuhyun managed to become a Rank 1 member already. Yet again, that man knew how to open a can of whoop- on people.

“I hear that many like to do missions in teams. How does that work?” He asks, feeling slightly bad that he was taking up the nurses time, but yet again, there was no one other patient in the room.

“Most tend to team up with members of the same ranking as themselves. There are some that are mixed with higher rankings though. If you have a higher rank member, you are allowed to take on a mission that is of a higher level, but your role in the mission will be restricted since it is more difficult and could be dangerous.” Amber continues to explain, not seeming to be too bothered by all the questions. “And I’m not sure if this is of much importance to you, but there is also an S-Class ranking at the Celestial Clan, according to my brother.” Amber starts once more, immediately gaining the younger’s interest again. “But from what he’s told me, it’s very difficult to become an S-Class member. It’s near impossible because you have to sacrifice a lot, though I’m not quite sure what. Many have died trying to prove their worth by attempting the trials to become an S-Class member.”

Died?” Yesung accentuates, brows furrowing together in wariness. “Why would anyone risk their lives to become an S-Class member?”

Amber gives the younger a short shrug, not quite knowing the reasoning to that question either. “I guess it’s a pride and glory thing. S-Class members are literally the best of the best. Everyone at the Celestial Clan, maybe even the other clans, respects and honors them greatly. Since S-Class members are so selective, there are only a handful of members with such a ranking, and I think they receive special missions that are never up on the mission boards —only assigned and received through the leaders of the Serenity Clan.They’re pretty badass, Yesung.”

“So they’re like….top notch assassins?”

“In a way, yes. They’re quite secretive and mysterious too. A few years back, I saw the S-Class members leave for a mission together, but they all wore masks of some sort that covers most of their faces, and of course, dressed in the usual all-black attire. They don't tend to mingle with lower rankings either.” Amber explains. “I think they’re pretty amazing. Maybe the next time Mr. Cho goes back to the Celestial Headquarters, he could show you around a little and you might be able to watch the S-Class member's practice if you are lucky enough. I hear Mr. Cho practiced with them back before he came to the academy.”

Yesung’s eyes widen a little at the last part, shock and confusion evident on his face. “Why would he? He’s a Rank 1 member.”

“He’s been accepted to become an S-Class member several times before, actually. But he always declined, despite his obvious abilities in combat. So because he’s so much more skilled, he needs to be challenged continuously by practicing with S-Class members. That’s why he was assigned to be your trainer and protector. Since you are a royal training to become a Celestial member, you need to be extremely prepared for your field of work, and also well-protected. So instead of sending an actual S-Class member whom are needed for missions, they chose Mr. Cho who is just as capable.”

“Why would he decline? It sounds kind of amazing to be an S-Class.” The younger questioned. “I mean, depending on what sacrifices need to be made, I would totally joined if I was capable.”

Amber gives the boy another shrug. “His reasoning was something along the lines of not feeling worthy enough yet; he doesn’t feel like he is actually ready for it. From what Henry told me, what you need to give up can really affect your decision to join or not too. The biggest sacrifice is that you are not allowed to love.” she said. “You must not have a family of your own when you join, and most of all, if you become an S-Class, you are forbidden to be in a relationship, let alone start a family. Romance is out of the question. I think it’s to guarantee that no family would be torn apart or left broken-hearted if anything were to happen to the members because of how dangerous and risky their missions are. The higher the rank you are, the more you need to realize that love and family can interfere with your missions because you cannot be emotionally distracted during missions, especially an S-Class mission; second-guessing or hesitating can kill you.”

Yesung was biting his nails anxiously by now, his mind racing with the new information, lost in his own thoughts. Is that why Kyuhyun still seemed so hesitant to get close to anyone? Was he still considering to become an S-Class member?

He stands up abruptly, startling Amber a little.

“Thanks for the information,” he says quickly as he gave her a short bow in gratitude. “I’ve gotta go now.”

“So fast? I was just getting into it,” Amber teases lightly,

“I’m trying to find Kyuhyun. I haven’t seen him yet and he hasn’t been replying to my messages.” Yesung explains. “I have something to ask him.”

Amber's face twists in thought as she stands up from her chair too. “I think he told Headmaster Leeteuk that he was going to the Celestial headquarters today. For what reason? I have no idea.” she relays. “He should be back soon though. He’s been gone for quite awhile now.”

“Oh,” Yesung frowns, offended that Kyuhyun didn’t even bother telling him that he was gone from the academy. “Thanks again,” he added, giving the nurse one last bow before grabbing what little belongings he had in the infirmary and left, Amber shouting something about taking his medicine on time to his retreating back.

Yesung found himself standing outside of the headmaster’s office a few minutes later, ready to demand for Kyuhyun’s whereabouts currently. However, when he reached up to knock, the door opened suddenly, startling him greatly.

“Yesung?” The other frowns as the student stood frozen to the spot, still not over the initial shock.

“I...what— Kyuhyun?”

“What’re you doing here?” The taller asks with a furrow of his brows.

“Um, I can ask the same about you?” The younger says, his expression reflecting the other’s. “Actually,” he starts again, his expression suddenly turning angrier. “Where the have you been?!”

A grim expression flickers across Kyuhyun’s face for a second before he turns around and closes the headmaster’s office door. “The leaders requested for my presence today.” he said shortly, before brushing past the fuming boy before him.

“And you didn’t bother telling me?” Yesung bites out, scuddling quickly after the other whose strides were much too long and fast for him to walk normally to.

“Did not believe it’d be necessary.” The trainer shrugs, finally slowing down when they reached the hallway so that Yesung didn’t have to jog to catch up.

Yesung stops abruptly, however.
“Was it….”

Kyuhyun stops and turns back a little, giving the other a questioning look.

“....was it because they want you to be an S-Class member?”

An unreadable expression crosses Kyuhyun’s face, successfully answering Yesung’s question when his shoulders tensed a little. “No,” he denies however, before turning back around sharply to start walking again.

But Yesung reached out quickly and grabbed him by the upper arm, successfully halting him again. “Are you lying?” he asks, hurt evident in his voice. “To me?”

“Yesung,” the trainer sighs, turning to face him again. “Who told you about this?”

“It doesn’t matter.” Yesung says irritatedly, releasing the elder’s upper arm, letting his hands drop to his sides. “Answer me.”

Kyuhyun stands there in silence for a moment as he stared at the younger who only stared back with much resolution. However, when Kyuhyun gives in and looks away, Yesung was suddenly struck with realization.

You accepted?”

“No!” Kyuhyun answers quickly, and for once in his life, Yesung noticed that the other looked distressed and slightly irritated. “I haven’t given them an answer yet,” he tried to reason.

“But you are considering it?!” Yesung shouts, a mix of emotions suddenly stirring within him, stuck between wanting to be mad or upset.

“I—” Kyuhyun tries to start. “Yes,” he admits. “I am considering it.”

“Why?” Yesung whispers, despite knowing just how selfish he is starting to sound now. “Why would you?” he asks, voice cracking a little as tears began to sting at the corners of his eyes. "Do you even know what this means? Do you understand what will happen?"

“I can’t be in a relationship either way, Yesung!” Kyuhyun suddenly shouts, expression angry, angry at himself. “I just…..I can’t love you, Yesung. I’ve made a promise myself to never love.” he says quietly.

Yesung stares at him as the tears finally fell, the other refusing to meet his eyes.
Kyuhyun was mad, so mad. He had promised to never allow himself to get close to anyone, let alone fall in love. Kyuhyun grew up with only his mother and his older sister, his father abandoning the family before Kyuhyun was even born. However, at a young age, his mother died trying to protect her two children when they were attacked by demons, and only a few years later, his older sister died during a failed mission that she had taken up in order to support her and Kyuhyun. He was raised to believe that love, and trying to protect that love, is a sign of weakness. He could only become stronger by letting go of something that would only hurt him. But yet here he is, falling for a young boy that had somehow pried his way through to his heart.

“You’re right,” Yesung suddenly laughs through his tears. “I’m just being selfish. It was a one-sided thing this whole time. I’ve just been imagining everything between us— our conversations, the times we’ve spent together, our kiss….last night.”
He felt ridiculous for ever letting himself love someone. He had spent years building this wall around him so that no one could get close to him. He spent years maintaining that wall in order not to feel the same pain he had felt when he had lost his parents. He spent years running away from the place that reminded him most of all the pain. And in just a few months, Kyuhyun had chipped through his walls, only to destroy what was hidden behind it now.

“Yesung, I’m sorry….”  The elder says, reaching forward a little, trying to comfort him in some way. He accidentally let himself get caught up in the moment last night, and now he doesn’t know how to fix it despite his heart telling him not to. He had fallen too hard for the boy. He’s fallen for his smile, his unique ways, his quirky personality, his teasing remarks….but most of all, he’s fallen for his heart.

The smaller takes a step back away from the elder’s hands, wiping furiously at the tears that just wouldn’t stop falling. “Don’t.” he cries.

“Please, I’m sorry,” Kyuhyun begs, reaching forward quickly again and grabbing his hand to stop him from running away, but the younger slaps his hand away roughly.

“Stop it!” He screams. “Stop being nice to me! Stop trying to make me feel better! Stop lying to me!” he sobs, finally breaking down before the other as he wrapped his arms around himself, trying to stop the sobs that were racking his body. He couldn't help but to feel so vulnerable before the other. He felt so small and weak no matter how hard he tried to fight back so that he didn't have to feel so broken inside.

Kyuhyun tries to speak again, however he couldn’t find his voice when he felt something swelling in his throat, realizing that he was close to tears too.

“Just leave me alone….” Yesung cries, taking a few steps back. “....please."
He turns quickly before Kyuhyun even had time to react and runs away, leaving the elder alone in the hallway.

Kyuhyun turns angrily and punches the wall with an angry cry, succeeding in denting it, the debris scratching at the back of his hands and drawing blood as he finally drew back away from it. His heart ached greatly and he felt like he was suffocating from all the pent up emotions as he covered his face with his bloodied hand.
“….” he mutters, the unshed tears still burning in his eyes.

I love you, Yesung...

....I'm sorry.

 

 
 
 
 

A/N: As you can tell, I am most definitely trying to push this story along. Not even gonna deny it anymore. It's because I know that the more I try to draw this out longer and make it more descriptive etc., I will lose motivation really fast and abandon this story and add to my already growing list of unfinished stories. And despite me feeling guilty about all those unfinished stories, once I lose motivation for them, they're gone. I lose the plot of the entire story and stuff....So I'm sorry to those who really wanted this to be one of those chaptered stories. I'm just still so rusty and lacking a lot of inspiration at the moment. I'm more in a co-author mood. I'm always in a co-author mood. (Lemme know if you wanna co-author cuz im a loser like that lmao). Please don't hate me?  

And also thank you to everyone who had left comments for the last chapter! It's great to know that there are still some KyuSung shippers left, and they made me feel really loved <3

Anyhoobadooblidoo, I'm gonna end this author's note before it becomes longer than the story itself.
Please subscribe and leave more comments~