Chapter 12

Tainted

 

 

Yesung stares in horror as hundreds of demons began to pour in through the breach, uninjured Celestial’s quickly grabbing whatever weapon they could find, but there weren’t much since they were in the medical aid sector where not many bring weapons into.

“Jongwoon!” Kyuhyun calls out, drawing the shocked boy out of his stunned stupor as he grabbed the younger’s shoulders, turning the boy to face him. “You need to get out of here, now.”

“I...I—what?” the younger stammers, staring up at Kyuhyun with wide eyes.

“You need to get out of here, Jongwoon,” Kyuhyun says, stepping closer to the younger. “This is a Code Black. In a few minutes, every entrance and exit to Sector 6 will be closed off. No one can leave afterwards.” he says, reaching up to gently caress the younger’s face.

“No!” Yesung shouts, reaching up to grasp the front of the elder’s shirt. “I’m not leaving!”

“Go get ZhouMi and Amber, and whoever else who cannot defend for themselves and get out. The south gate will be the last to close, you’ll have enough time if you leave now.” Kyuhyun says quickly, ignoring the younger’s complaints. “You’re still injured and I can’t defend this clan without worrying about you too. I need you to leave.”

“No! Kyuhyun I’m not leaving!” The younger says stubbornly, keeping a firm hold on the other’s shirt to prevent him from leaving.  

Kyuhyun gazes into the other’s pleading eyes for a moment, worry evident in them. He gently threads his long fingers through the other’s raven hair before leaning down and presses a tender kiss to the younger’s cheek. “I’ll be back, princess” he whispers softly, and proceeded to pull away from Yesung before he could even stop him, running into the smoke as the younger called out for him..

Kyuhyun curses under his breath, realizing that he didn’t have his own weapon. He picks up a sword that was laying on the ground, lifting it a little to test the weight of it. He frowns when it wasn’t quite what he was looking for, but he couldn’t be picky at the moment.

He spins around quickly when he detected the presence of another, deflecting the head of a spear that was ed upon him just in time, before darting forward and slashing the demon with his sword. Within a second, another demon was charging at him.

The amount of demons that were pouring in through the breach, compared to how many Celestial members there were in Sector 6, were too many. One after another, Kyuhyun fought through the wave of demons, not being able to afford even a second to breathe.

Kyuhyun may be a very skilled warrior, one of the best in the Celestial Clan, but he couldn’t handle the ten demons that were coming at him now, especially without his main weapon. He managed to kill several of the demons that came at him, but a hard kick to his side caused him to slip up. And seizing that split second of error, the demon kicks Kyuhyun’s right hand, causing the sword to fly out of his grasp. Kyuhyun managed to grab the demon’s hand when he brought the sword down upon the Celestial warrior, but a sharp pain to his side caused his grip to falter. He doubles over in agonizing pain as he brought a hand up to his side, hands pressing against warm blood as he saw an arrow pierced deep into his lower stomach.

The demon swung another kick at the stunned warrior, knocking Kyuhyun down onto his knees as the warrior began to cough up blood from internal bleeding.

Gritting his teeth and bracing himself against the pain, Kyuhyun quickly yanks the arrow out from his abdomen.

The demon brings his sword down upon Kyuhyun again, and with no other option, Kyuhyun reaches up to stop it by grabbing the blade of the demon’s sword, letting out a sound of pain as the sharp edge dug into his palms, Kyuhyun seriously wondering how Yesung was able to do it with both hands during his duel against Minho.

“You can keep fighting, Dhampir. But you’ll bleed out before you get to even see our victory,” The demon laughs, pushing the sword down harder when the warrior continued to resist, warm blood trickling down Kyuhyun’s trembling arm as his grip tightened around the blade.

“I’ll never let you filthy demons win,” Kyuhyun snarls as he resisted as much as he could, but the wound from the arrow was proving to be too severe, his muscles trembling in pain as the demon’s sword pressed down closer to him.

However, a dark blur rushes by, and at the sound of metal colliding the weight of the demon abruptly disappeared, the sudden alleviation causing Kyuhyun to collapse forward with a trembling gasp of relief. He looks up once more at the sound of clashing metal, the demon’s sword suddenly flying up into the air and skidding to a stop before him. His eyes narrow as he tried to focus and see through the dark smoke, only to see the demon down on his back with a familiar figure hovering over him, before a dagger was plunged into the demon’s heart, killing him instantly.

I’ll be back,” a voice says in a mocking manner, the familiar figure straightening back up and getting off of the demon, walking back towards Kyuhyun.

“Yesung?” Kyuhyun manages weakly, grimacing in pain as he brought his bleeding hand up to his open wound on his side.

The younger says nothing else however as he sheaths his daggers and kneels down next to the elder, pressing his hand over the wound as well, trying to prevent as much blood loss as possible.

“You were supposed to get out!” Kyuhyun says angrily through gritted teeth, glaring at the younger who just stared at him nonchalantly.

“Since when did I ever listen to you?” Yesung frowns. “I got ZhouMi and the rest out before the gate closed. I chose to stay. I wouldn’t be a Celestial warrior otherwise.” he said, not meeting the elder’s burning gaze.

“You’re a fool, you know?” The elder grimaces.

“I know,” the younger says. “And you’re a fool for me,” he whispers with a soft smile, reaching up with his free hand to gently cup the elder’s face as he leaned in close, lips barely brushing.

And in that little while, Kyuhyun sees the Jongwoon he fell in love with; his soft gaze, tender touch, teasing words and gentle smile. His heart throbs at the familiarity of it all, wanting the moment to last longer as they held each other’s gaze, but the fight was still going and they couldn’t waste another second in a tender embrace.

“I can stop this,” the raven says suddenly, letting his hand drop down as he leaned back away. “I can put a stop to this,”

“What?” Kyuhyun frowns, missing the warm touch of the other. “What do you mean?”

“I’ve never tried it at this scale before though,” the younger says, ignoring the other’s question as he removed his hand from the elder’s wound. “But I can try,”

No!” Kyuhyun says when he realized what the younger meant, reaching up to try and prevent the younger from doing so, but the raven stood up quickly.

Kyuhyun knew that the younger hadn’t gained complete control of his powers yet. If he were to use it at such a large scale, it would most likely destroy the raven before anything else.

“Watch this for me, please? It has a lot of meaning to me,” Yesung says with a small smile, before pulling off his ring and sets it down before the elder.

“Jongwoon, no!” Kyuhyun calls out, trying to get up but collapses again from the pain and blood loss.

The younger doesn’t look back however as he walked towards the center of Sector 6, feeling his powers stir restlessly within him now. He had never gone so long without his ring on before, especially not in a situation such as this, his hands trembling now as he resisted against his powers. He could feel the strength of it, the energy of his abilities tingling all throughout his body.

He closes his eyes for a moment, trying to focus a little as he wrapped his arms around himself protectively, but all he heard were cries of pain and weapons slashing through flesh. His mind reels with the disturbing noises, losing focus a little as he feels his powers surge violently within him.

“Jongwoon!” Kyuhyun suddenly calls out in the distance, breaking through the disturbing sounds. “Jongwoon, listen to me!”

Immediately, Yesung picks up the other’s familiar voice.
“Kyuhyun….” he murmurs quietly under his breath.

“Jongwoon, focus on me! Focus on my voice!”

The younger obeys as he clenches his eyes shut tighter, slowly letting his arms fall to his sides as he focused on Kyuhyun’s comforting voice. Steadily, he feels his powers begin to align with his mind, gradually falling more into his control.

His eyes snap open however when a demon charged at him. Raising one hand up, an eruption of blue flames engulfed the demon, and within seconds, all that was left was a pile of ashes.

Yesung brought his hands up before him as he stared at them in awe, never having actually burn someone before.

He bites his lower lip as he tries to focus again, closing his eyes once more. The power within him surges again, and he could feel the heat of the blue flames erupt from the ground, surrounding him.

He slowly raises his hands up and the ring of fire began to follow his movements and expand outwards, burning demons within its path.

Yesung’s eyes suddenly fluttered open again however as panic rises within him, realizing that he wasn’t strong enough to summon more power, the battle still raging on around him.

However, he remembers something that Siwon had told him before—a trick that could allow him to summon a great amount of power for a short while.

Yesung reaches down and unsheathes a dagger from his belt, and Kyuhyun watches in shock as the younger presses the sharp dagger into the palm of his left hand, dragging it across the thin flesh and drawing blood.

Yesung watched as his blood dripped and pooled onto the grass ground beneath him for a moment, before raising his other hand and spreads his fingers apart. The ring of fire begins to expand even more at a faster rate, and the dhampirs could only watch in awe as the wall of fire simply passed through dhampirs without burning them, but smoldering all demons that the flames touched.

Within seconds, Yesung was wiping out demons hundreds at a time, diminishing their numbers greatly to the dhampirs advantage.

Realizing that they couldn’t battle the fire, many demons began to run away in fear of the blue flames that had taken down many of their comrades already.

“RETREAT!” A demon calls out in realization, “RETREAT NOW!”

Abandoning their now lost battle, the demons began to fall back and escape out the breached wall, some Celestial’s taking chase to guard the breach from further invasion.

Kyuhyun watches in relief as their enemies withdrew from the battle, the blue flames beginning to dim down now as the number of demons diminished substantially in the Sector.

Kyuhyun looks back towards the younger just as the raven doubled over and regurgitated a great amount of blood, swaying a little on his feet. Ignoring the excruciating pain from his wounds, Kyuhyun scrambles up onto his feet and ran towards the raven, catching the younger just in time as he collapsed, passing out promptly in his arms.

“Jongwoon!” Kyuhyun calls out in concern, the younger looking awfully pale and feeling cold in his arms as more Celestials came over to his aid. He quickly slips the ring back onto the raven’s finger before more harm could come upon him, tightening his hold protectively around the smaller as he tried to wake him.

The last thing Yesung remembered was the warm embrace of Kyuhyun’s arms around him before he slipped into utter darkness.

 


 

Yesung awakens to the sound of hushed voices in the distance, discussing something quietly and solemnly in the background. He stirs a little from where he lay, his whole body feeling sore and weak as he tried to open his eyes.

“He’s waking up,” someone discerns.

“Jongwoon,” A familiar voice calls out softly, but it wasn’t the voice Yesung was quite looking for.

“Kyuhyun…” The raven managed out weakly, eyes fluttering open a little as he reached out blindly for the other.

A warm hand gently holds his wandering ones, but it wasn’t Kyuhyun’s.
“He’s not here right now,” someone responds softly.

“Wh-where is he?” The younger stammers, struggling to sit up as he tried to focus on his blurry surroundings, realizing that he was back in his own room. He notices that he was still in his black attire, covered in dirt and blood, some of it not his own, and his ring back on his finger.

“He’s resting in his own room,” The other responds again, gently releasing the raven’s hand to help guide him into a sitting position. “Everyone who has been injured has either been brought back to their own room or to the Great Hall for treatment since Sector 6 has been pillaged.”

“I-Is Kyuhyun alright?” Yesung asks, squinting a little to focus, only to notice that there were several in the room with him, ZhouMi being the one by his bedside.

“He’s alive surprisingly,” One of the few snorts teasingly under his breath, only to clamp his mouth shut quickly when the raven gave him an odd look. “Hi I’m Lee Hyukjae, or Eunhyuk, Rank 1,” he adds quickly.

“I’m Lee Donghae, Rank 1,” another adds from beside him. “Kyuhyun sent us here to watch over you,”

“He’s in safe hands,” ZhouMi said with a roll of his eyes at the two. “And you’re stable now,” he says, turning back to face the dazed raven. “However, I would refrain from using your powers anytime soon. Whatever you did out there in Sector 6 was really eroding for your body. Once again it has chipped into your life force to retrieve more power. You’ll kill yourself soon if you keep this up.”

Yesung grimaces a little at the information, frowning to himself as he leans back.
“So I can’t use my powers anymore?” he asks.

“No, you are allowed to, as long as it is within your limits. But whatever you did out there to summon more power, don’t do that again.” ZhouMi explains, the younger nodding once in understanding.

“Those...demons,” Yesung starts, remembering the events that had occurred earlier that had caused all of this. “What are they? Why did they come here?”

“They’re one of the worst enemies to ever come across during missions,” Eunhyuk says.

“We fight monsters majority of the time, but demons are the worst,” Donghae agrees.

“What are they? Why are they so….human?” the younger asks.

“Well, technically…” ZhouMi starts. “They’re Dhampirs,”

Yesung stares at all of them confusedly.

“Demons are dhampirs that have strayed from the path of light,” Donghae explains. “They don’t teach you this in the Academies because we’re ashamed of it, to be honest. They only want you to kill them without questioning it, but most learn the truth by the time they make it into the Celestial Clan.”

“What do you mean by ‘strayed from the path of light’?” Yesung persists.

“It means they’ve done what is the most forbidden for Dhampirs; drinking the blood of humans.” Eunhyuk joins in. “The blood of humankind can be addicting for many dhampirs, and could also give them surprising amounts of benefits and strengths. The consequences however is that they gain a twisted mindset. They become almost animalistic and they lose their ability to stay rational, or differentiate between what’s good or bad. The more they drink, the more they become reliant on it to survive. If they consume too much, human blood will become the only sustenance that will keep them alive. The demons see us as the enemies because we prevent them from approaching humans for more blood; we’re the ones guarding and protecting humankind from beings like demons. They plan to either wipe us out, or recruit us into the demon clans.”

Yesung sat there for a moment in silence, trying to comprehend the information.
“So they attacked today in hopes of destroying us?”

Donghae nods once. “They attack us, the Celestial Clan first because we’re the warriors. We are the ones who carry out the dirty work and kill demons, the main support. Without us, the tier of Dhampirs would weaken significantly, allowing them access to our destruction.”

“Their purpose today was to destroy Sector 6 first, and they would have succeeded if it weren’t for you.” ZhouMi continues for them. “Without Sector 6, Celestial Dhampirs would have no supplies or anywhere to go to for injury treatment. And most medical Dhampirs are in Sector 6, even ones from the Eruditi Clan because it’s mostly Celestial Members that require constant medical attention or have serious injuries from missions. It’s an all-hands-on-deck situation. So without medical treatment, we would lose many dhampirs.”

Yesung sort of slides and slumps down in his bed, brows furrowing together in deep thought as he tried to wrap his mind around everything.
“Is Kyuhyun alright?” he suddenly asks again, remembering that the other was injured pretty badly, the change in subject surprising the other’s a little.

“Amber is bandaging his wounds right now. He should be fine,” ZhouMi reassures, but Yesung was scrambling out of bed anyways.

“I think you should rest some more, little novice,” Eunhyuk urges with a frown. “I heard you were out like a light once your fire died down.”

“No, I want to see Kyuhyun,” the raven insists, pushing pass everyone to get to the door, only to run right smack into Siwon when he opened it.

“Jongwoon,” The guardian says with a small bow, “I apologize for not being there to protect you,”

The younger stiffens for a moment as he takes a step back into the room, which does not go unnoticed by Donghae and Eunhyuk.

“I...It’s alright,” Yesung stammers quickly, heart pounding loudly in his chest as Siwon straightens back up, their eyes meeting.

“I-I have to go somewhere,” he says hurriedly, brushing past the taller. “Please do not follow me,”

However, a painful grip on his bicep stops him from leaving. “I think you should stay and get some more rest,” Siwon says lowly, eyes dark as Yesung spins around in fear, trying to pull his arm out of the other’s strong grip.

ZhouMi stands up abruptly from where he sat and snaps once. Electricity sparks from where Siwon held Yesung, the other quickly releasing the raven when the spark sent a burning shock through his hand, but no harm came upon Yesung.

“He is stable now,” ZhouMi says sternly, approaching them as Siwon shot him a glare. “Jongwoon is free to do as he pleases, he has my clearance.”

“Thank you,” Yesung breathes quickly, before rushing off towards Kyuhyun’s room, feeling Siwon’s burning gaze on his back.

He nearly runs into someone when he turns into the hallway where he knew Kyuhyun’s room was located.

“Yesung!” The other said in surprise, clearly startled by the other’s sudden appearance causing them to lose grip of what they were holding.

Putting his quick reflexes to use, Yesung catches the fallen items with ease, only to notice that they were bandages. “Amber?” he says with a tilt of his head as he handed it back to her. “Did you just come from Kyuhyun’s room?

“Yeah,” she sighs once she recovered from the initial shock.

“Is he alright?”

“He would be, if he would stop being stubborn,” A snarky voice joins in before a slim, long-haired man approached them.

“Couldn’t convince him, Heechul?” Amber asks, turning to look at the other.

“Nope,” The taller says with a small shrug. “You know how he is,”

“What’s wrong?” Yesung frowns, wanting to know what the two were talking about.

“He’s refusing to declare a dhampir he’s willing to drink from,” Amber says with a light sigh. “He needs it though, like really bad. The arrow must’ve had a spell on it, because with proper treatment, his wound should heal within a few days, but something is preventing it from healing right. It might take a few weeks now.”

“If he needs it, why is he rejecting?” the raven questions, knowing how stubborn Kyuhyun could get as well.
He knew that in desperate situations, a dhampir is encouraged to drink the blood of another dhampir if they were seriously injured. The blood of another dhampir could help quicken the healing process of an injury and ease pain. However, in order for it to work, the process must be between dhampirs who have a bond or relationship of some sort; the stronger their bond is, the better the healing would be. The process for many is also described as very intimate and personal, and depending on what the relationship is between the two, the experience and process varies.

“Because he’s a stubborn ,” Heechul says unhelpfully.

“Why would he not accept you, Heechul?” Amber frowns. “The pain medication I’ve given him won’t be strong enough. He’ll be in a lot of pain,”

“Well, to be honest,” Heechul starts with a sigh. “Kyuhyun and I are good friends, but our bond isn’t what it needs to be for a proper healing. It’ll only help ease his pain by a little, but it won’t help the healing process at all. He requires someone with a stronger bond with him, but he’s such an that there is literally no one—” Heechul stops abruptly though in realization, eyes wide as he turned sharply to face Yesung, Amber mirroring his action.

“Hello, Kim Jongwoon,” Heechul suddenly says with a grin.

“Um, hi,” Yesung replies back hesitantly.

“You and Kyuhyun are…..close, right?”

“No,” the younger frowns, knowing full well that a relationship between the two of them, especially with their age and rank difference, was highly looked down upon.

“Yes,” Amber interjects.

Yesung shoots her a glare.

“Hey, if you want to help him, this is the only way.” Amber shrugs. “You’re the only person Kyuhyun trusts,”

“I can’t force you to do something you are unwilling to do, Yesung, especially since it’s your blood and body we’re talking about.” Heechul says, crossing his arms over his chest. “But if you truly care for him, I would highly recommend for you to at least go talk to him.”

“I-I can try—” Yesung stammers.

“Perfect! Last door on your left!” Heechul says quickly, already pushing the younger down the hall before he could ask anything else.

Heechul and Amber quickly hustles away once Yesung was standing in front of the other’s door, hand hovering to knock.

“Just go in!” Amber whispers sharply, peeking from around the corner of the hallway. “It’s not like you’ve never seen him before anyways!”

I haven’t!” Yesung hisses defensively, giving her a look of astonishment and disbelief. He knocks anyways however, choosing to be respective of the elder’s private living quarters rather than barging in unannounced.

He received no response however.

He slowly turns the handle and gives the curious two another pointed glare before slowly pushing the door open and peers into the dark room.

 

 

 


A/N: Hey guys! Sorry that I lied about being gone for only two weeks lol, turned out to be more like a month?
This chapter kinda had an abrupt ending because this is only part of the chapter. As I continued to write, the chapter got longer....and longer....and it's currently at 21 pages (I'm still not done so it will be longer lmao). So this chapter is about half of what I have written, and I decided to post this much up for now, since when i was editing the pages I already started to fall asleep reading it, and I don't want to put that upon you guys as well so I decided to break it up a little to make reading easier. 
I also apologize to those who thought this would be the chapter lolololol I thought it would be too, but the chapter got too long.....there will be in the next chapter, I promise! And it'll be a long update too!
The next part should be up and ready within a few days. However, after the next update, I will have to disappear for a little bit again. (Busy busy summer for me this year T-T)
I may work on some smaller things however, such as my one-shot stories Fortune's Favor and My Melody, since it's easier to work on short pieces rather than trying to continue a story with a complicated plot. (Please subscribe to them! Shameless self-advertising)

Thank you all for reading and subscribing (and dealing with my lame-). Comments are still GREATLY appreciated~