The Truth Behind the Tooth

Recipe to a Good School

 

It wasn't easy getting a tooth from the tooth fairy.

Not at all.

"Hey Chan," Jihoon began, raising an eyebrow. Ever since the day started, the boy had been acting weirdly and it had worried the other. "You look nervous, everything alright?"

The younger jumped in fright, gulping as he asked. Glancing around, he thought of an answer. "Er.. I'm fine! Perfectly fine!" 

The pinkette blinked owlishly at his answer. He would have pressed on it but he knew the other would insist that he was fine. Sighing, he let him go.

He was going to have to find out on his own. Obviously, he was hiding something, but how would he uncover the secret? He smirked, knowing a very reliable source.

"Oh, Soonyoung~" He sung, skipping over to him, who was currently playing with the stuffed animals. 

The blond turned to him, blinking owlishly as he tilted his head. "What's up, Jihoon?"

He gracefully placed an arm on his shoulder before his happy expression turned into a glare. "Tell me what Chan is hiding."

The other gulped, nodding slowly before standing up. "O-Ok, but we got to be silent." He stammered, grabbing his hand and bringing him to a place no one could be; The closet.

"... Soonyoung, it's so dark here." Jihoon said blankly, pouting.

"I know, but look!" He grinned, turning on a flashlight. The pinkette was extremely impressed.

"So?" He began, now noticed how close they had to be in the tiny space and turning into a slight pink. "What's the secret?"

Soonyoung had begun to explain but Jihoon had already turned red with anger. He tried hard not to burst out and rant in their now closed; or closeted; environment.

"They're idiots, I tell you." He scowled, puffing his cheeks. "But why are you making a dinosaur?!"

The blond gulped, holding up his hands to his ears. "Shhh- It was our only choice! Besides, I like Seungkwan's idea."

"Ok, it's a cool idea- But it won't work!"

"But we have to try!"

The pinkette sighed. He understood they had to do something but he strongly believed that it wasn't going to work.

"You know what, Soonyoung?" He asked, giving a light smirk. "Let's make a deal."

Soonyoung blinked owlishly, knowing what the other was going to say as he grinned. "What kind of deal?"

"If I find something that will prove that dinosaurs exist better than your idea, I get to have your cookies." He proposed, knowing that the other would take the risk.

"Alrighty, but what about me?" He asked.

"... What do you want?"

Soonyoung smiled evilly. Jihoon then thought maybe making a deal wasn't the greatest idea. "You have to have a sleepover with me and Seokmin."

The pinkette gasped. "That's not equal!"

"It so is!" He pouted, crossing his arms. "You're taking my food, which is my life!"

He grumbled, turning away from him before nodding. "Fine. Deal."

The blond smiled brightly, as if nothing ever happened, and strolled out of the closet. Jihoon followed long after before being stopped by a smug looking fellow.

"So, what were you two doing in there?" The boy said.

He turned a light pink, smacking his arm. "Shut up Mingyu, you're the last person who needs to talk about this."

The taller of the two chuckled, following him as he tried walking away. "Come on Jihoon, I can help!"

He stopped, turning to the rather confident individual. He raised an eyebrow in curiosity. "How could you--"

Mingyu grabbed his hand, bringing him to his friend, Wonwoo. The ravenette looked up from a book as they approached, blinking owlishly. The brunette instantly let go of the other's hand when he did.

"Wonwoo, you know where we can find the Tooth Fairy?" He asked, Jihoon immediately glared at him.

"A Tooth Fairy? We're finding a--" Mingyu interrupted the shorter with a soft hush before looking back to his friend.


He let out a small hum before his expression flashed a startled look. “Wait-- Are you guys going now?” He nodded, making his friend deny his actions.

“Come on, Wonwoo,” He began, frowning. “We need to do it by today, or else Jihoon here is going to be in big trouble.”

He didn’t say a word as he sighed, walking over to a small stack of papers before coming back with one in hand. “I’ll draw a map, don’t get into too much trouble.”

The taller of the three jumped up in glee, grabbing him into a large bear hug. The other could only let out a soft smile before saying that he couldn’t breathe. He instantly let go afterwards.

Wonwoo quickly began to draw the map as Mingyu brought Jihoon hurriedly to the dress up box. As they got disguises ready so rushed, the pinkette didn’t notice the tiny eyes that were watching them.

The brunette brought him back to his friends, smiling at his choice of costume. He had already placed them in a small bookbag so that they could change alone.

“Here; The map of where the Tooth Fairy lives.” He passed the two the paper, twirling the pencil in hand. “Be careful, the Tooth Fairy doesn't like people stealing.”

“No worries, I'll just say I know the beautiful garden fairy!” He winked, turning the other into a blushing mess. He then looked to Jihoon, pulling off a large grin. “So! Ready to head off?”

The shorter of the two nodded, leading Mingyu outside before successfully escaping the building. They then went behind another, changing into their various clothing and wigs.

“Right, why did you call Wonwoo a garden fairy?” Jihoon asked, blinking owlishly at the boy.

He scratched the back of his neck, showing confusion before answering. “Well, he really likes plants and such so, it made sense.”

His mouth made an ‘o‘ shape, nodding as he understood. “It‘s cute. It kinda reminds me of a couple.” He joked, although he could see the red from the other‘s cheeks. Changing the topic, he pulled the map out of his hands, quickly following the path it said to follow.

But maybe Jihoon wanted to know a bit more about the blush. “So, you are best friends with Wonwoo, right?”

The brunette nodded, grinning. “Yeah! We met at the first day so we are pretty close!”

“How close?”

“We had a sleepover.”

“Sleepover?” The pinkette echoed, blinking owlishly. “You need to have a sleepover to be close?” He thought, instantly remembering the deal he made with the blond. However, he shook his head, certain that this and that had nothing to do with each other.

As they reached the so called ending of the path, they made it to a large trailer house. Jihoon raised an eyebrow, confused. “Er… I thought the Tooth Fairy was, I dunno, a happy kind of fairy?” He asked Mingyu, who chuckled awkwardly.

“Well.. Um, you can’t judge a person by their house?”

“She’s a fairy.”

“... Shhh.”

They continued to the trailer house, knocking softly on the door. They both stood quietly, waiting for the door to swing open. Only it didn’t. They blinked owlishly, turning to each other before back at the door.

“W-Well?” Jihoon stammered, nudging Mingyu closer to the door. “Knock again.”

“What?!” He shouted, turning around and behind the shorter. “I'm not doing it! You do it!”

“No way! You look more scary!”

“You are more scary!” He retorted before freezing in place with the other.

The door made a small click sound, opening with a squeak. As it fully opened and the two looked up, the one who opened the door was not a fairy at all. It was a male with bright mint coloured hair who looked to be older than their teachers. 

They gulped in fright as he sharply glanced down at them. “Um.. A-Are you the Tooth Fairy..?” Mingyu asked, taking it as his responsibility to speak since the other was speechless.

The male stared down at them for a while before letting out a deep sigh. He pushed the door away from him, letting it swing and bounce against wall before he caught it. “Come in.” 

The two were still standing in place, more confused than frightened from the sudden invitation. When they didn't come in, the male turned to them, staring at them until they didn't.

The pinkette looked around the trailer, his thought process going faster to the conclusion that this might not be the Tooth Fairy. After all, the trailer was scattered with clothing and junk, making it seem as if the owner didn't care much about his living environment.

“So, um, do you two want juice or..?” He asked, trudging toward the mini fridge stuck to the wall.

“Uh, we’re good.” Jihoon responded, taking a glance at the brunette before whispering. “Ask him the stuff.”

“Oh right!” He exclaimed, raising his hand and waited until the older male pointed at him. “We need something that will prove that dinosaurs are real!”

“Funny, dinosaurs are real.” He commented, letting the children blink owlishly. He then walked towards a couch, throwing aside some clothing before plopping down on it. “So, what do you kids have in mind?”

The two looked at each other, turning away from the male to discuss their plan. They then turned back minutes later, smiles pasted on their faces. “Well, something small would be good.” The shorter of the two said.

“Like.. A tooth?” He smirked, almost amused. 

“Yeah!” Mingyu shouted, eyes sparkling. “That's why we went to you, the Tooth Fairy!”

“Hey, hey,” He chuckled, holding up his hands. “Sorry to disappoint but I'm only the assistant.”

“What?” Jihoon spat, eyes narrowing. “Well where is the Tooth Fairy?”

“Calm down, he’ll be here.” The male dropped one of his hands, the other counting down. Once his hand made a fist, the door swung open. 

“Yoongi, you won't believe what deals they had at the art shop today! I got tons of st--” The male who was speaking stopped, looking at the other before seeing the two children looking up at him.

“So that's the Tooth Fairy?” Mingyu whispered, raising his eyebrows. “You know, this whole time I thought it was a girl.” To which, Jihoon had nodded to show he agreed.

“Um, Yoongi,” He called out, chuckling awkwardly. “What's the event..?”

“Hoseok, do you mind making a dinosaur tooth for these two? Apparently they need one so they came for the ‘Tooth Fairy’.” He grinned, standing back up to stretch.

“Oh!” He smiled brightly, nodding. “No problem, you two! I'll finish it by tomorr--”

“No! We need it by today!” Jihoon interrupted, making the three stare at him oddly. He stammered with his words. “U-Uh.. Sorry.”

Hoseok knelt down, patting the children’s head. “Alrighty, I'll make sure to be super quick! You can count on me!~”

Their eyes sparkled with glee as they nodded, taking a seat on the floor to wait. As they waited, the two adults went inside a room, where they heard loud noises from tools.

After an hour or so, the two came outside, holding a plastic bag in their hands before handing it to the two. “Here ya go.” The mint male said, opening the door for them. “Have fun.”

“Thank you!” Mingyu screamed, bowing softly with the other. Jihoon instantly took the bag in both of his hands. He was sure to win the bet now.

“So wait,” The pinkette paused, tilting his hand to the side. “You made this?”

“Well yes- Is there a problem?” He questioned.

“Um, the Tooth Fairy finds teeth, right? They don't make them.” He said, the brunette beside him gasping.

“Does that mean Wonwoo found a false Tooth Fairy?” He retorted, Hoseok quickly shaking his head.

“I'm a… Special kind of Tooth Fairy! I make crafts and keychains and leave them there instead of money!”

“Lame.” Jihoon spoke bluntly, knowing he instantly broke the older’s spirit. “Er, um, so how do you know Wonwoo?”

“We know his parents.” Yoongi responded instead of the other, dropping his hands in his pockets. “I'm guessing you two are classmates of his.”

“Yup.” Mingyu nodded before gasping at the sight of a clock in the corner. “We gotta go, goodbye!” He shouted, grabbing Jihoon’s hand as they left.

“Mhm, be careful out there!” The other male replied, waving goodbye as they walked further and further away.

“They were nice.” The pinkette commented, gripping tightly on the bag.

“Yeah. I kinda wanna go again.” The brunette responded. “Let's bring Wonwoo next time!”

“Let’s. Maybe they already knew Wonwoo? Because he told us to go there.”

“Maybe, but I don't think it matters.”

“True.” He ended, satisfied with the outcome of the situation.

The two reached the kindergarten, almost certain no one; Other than Wonwoo; knew they had left. They crawled back in from an open window, Mingyu retreating to tell his friend about his journey as Jihoon went to settle their small bet.

He eventually found Soonyoung lifting up a large green blanket. Questioning his train of thought, he called out to him. In which, to his surprise, he ignored him.

“Soonyoung, didn't you hear me? I found better proof.” He repeated, blinking owlishly as the other turned around with an unusual frown on his face. Worried, he questioned it. “Are you okay?”

“I don't know, why don't you ask Mingyu?” The blond sneered, turning away from the other. 

“What does Mingyu have to do with it?” The pinkette asked, turning him back around.

“You seem like you hang out with him better than us anyways!” Jihoon’s expression was blank before it became one of amuse. Soonyoung narrowed his eyes. “What?”

“Are you jealous?” He smirked, quite proud of this newfound emotion. The other gasped, acting flabbergasted.

“I have no idea what you're talking about!” He exclaimed before feeling small arms wrap around his waist. 

Once the shorter of the two let go of him, he smiled softly and handed over the bag. “It's fine if you weren’t. And, I'll go with you and Seokmin for the sleepover.”

“But didn't I lose the deal?” He stated, before wiggling his eyebrows. “Could it be-- Love?”

Jihoon could feel his cheeks heat up, quickly turning away after punching his arm to hide it.

“You wish.” He retorted, walking away from the other.

He giggled, taking the tooth from the plastic bag and shoving it in his pocket before going to meet up with the others.