Let Me Have a Turn!

Recipe to a Good School

Chan laid on the cool stairs outside the kindergarten, staring at the fluffy clouds above. The day had just ended and he needed something to do as he waited. He sighed, the sun's warmth reaching his cheeks. "Why did I make that deal?" He mumbled.

[A few hours earlier-]

"Hey Chan!" Seungkwan called out to the boy who was currently holding a hula hoop. "Why did you like being called Dino anyways?"

He blinked owlishly, placing a finger on his cheek as he looked upwards. "My mom said that I have a dinosaur like personality..? Whatever that means." He shrugged, before pointing at him. "Don't you have a nickname?"

"Nickname?" He echoed, expression becoming one of confusion. "No, never got one! Oh, but Mr. Seungcheol and Mr. Jisoo have one!"

"Right! S. Coups and Joshua!" Chan replied. "Hm.. Can we check if everyone else has a nickname?"

Seungkwan smiled, instantly liking his idea. "I got a better idea." He held onto his hand, bringing him over to Hansol. He quickly whispered his idea to the other, watching as he got the others to sit in a circle.

"Alrighty, now that we're in a circle, it's time to say what we're doing!" Seungkwan shouted, hearing claps from the ten others who sat down.

"Chan has a nickname, Dino, you know," He began, waving his hands in the air. "So, I thought that we could all make nicknames for each other as well!"

"That's actually not a bad idea." Wonwoo commented, nodding slowly. "How should we pick the names?"

"Well, let's discuss!" Seungkwan cheered, pointing at the group. "Nicknames are something that relates to you, so pick something like that!"

The ten children quickly began discussing different names as well interests. Chan had watched everything and saw how fast his friend brought them together and apart again. "Seungkwan is amazing.." He mumbled under his breath, awestruck.

"Alrighty, let's bring it back now!" Seungkwan clapped his hands twice, mimicking a butler he saw in a movie. Once the ten sat back down, he continued to speak. "So, did you guys figure something out?"

"I got one." Said Jihoon, raising his hand slowly as a pink blush appeared on his cheeks. "But it's not for me."

"Oh?" Chan blinked owlishly, curious to see what nickname; or who's nickname; the other had made.

"It's for Soonyoung." The blond instantly turned away from talking with Jun to face the other. "Uhm, I thought it'd be Hoshi."

"Hoshi?" He echoed, thinking about the nickname before smiling widely. "I like it! Thanks!" The shorter of the two mumbled a quick 'you're welcome' as Seokmin patted his back.

The brunette then raised his hand after the action, smiling. "I think I would be Dokyeom," He said, the others raising an eyebrow. "My parents called me that once-- If it's too hard, DK is cool enough!" The children clapped, impressed with his choice.

"Oooh, I know what to call Jihoon!" Soonyoung shouted, standing up and running to get a pink crayon and a paper. He scribbled messy letters on the paper, spelling out 'Woozi.'. 

"Because you make me feel woozy!" He smiled, hearing some groan and some laugh because of his pun. 

Jihoon had blushed, smacking his arm. "You idiot, it's woozy with an Y, not woozy with an I!" The other only chuckled and rubbed his arm softly.

"I have one." Minghao surprisingly rose his hand high in the air, smiling softly at the others. "In my old place, eight was a very lucky number. You think I can be The 8?"

The other gasped, taking a liking to the name very quickly. Minghao was very proud of himself to say the least. 

At the same time, Chan had noticed that Seungkwan was in deep thought. "He must have not thought of one yet.." He thought.

"I like the name Vernon for myself." Hansol said, grinning. "It sounds nice right?"

Seungkwan broke out of his train of thought, staring at the boy who spoke. "Does that mean when you aren't here, I'm..." He took a breath. "Boonon?"

A silence was heard before the room filled up with laughter. Chan had thought it was rude to see the others laugh at the nickname but soon realized that Seungkwan wanted them to laugh this much. He smiled at his actions, wanting to be like him when he grew up.

“What are you kids doing? Causing trouble?” Jeonghan teased, walking over to them with a smile. 

“We’re making nicknames!” Chan replied, cheerfully standing up. 

“Mr. Jeonghan, you don't seem to have a nickname, not like S. Coups or Joshua.” Wonwoo questioned, tilting his head slightly.

“I guess I don't--”

“We should make one for you!” Mingyu said, running to find Jisoo and Seungcheol in the office. Jeonghan sighed, taking a seat on the ground with the other children.

Wonwoo timidly walked over to him and placed a hand on his knee, as if to show regret that he didn't stop his friend and to apologize. The adult sighed once more, patting his head.

The brunette came back with the two hand in hand, telling them to quietly sit down as he ran back to his spot.

“I heard we’re coming up with a nickname for Jeonghan?” Seungcheol spoke, wrapping an arm around his shoulder.

“Mhm, he doesn't have one, unlike you guys.” Seokmin replied, the others nodding. 

The ravenette let out a small hum as he thought, laughing once something came to mind. “Why don't we call you what the girls used to call you, Gumdrop?”

Jeonghan turned a light shade of red, waving him off with his hand. “That's so embarrassing, please don't.”

“Aww, but it suited you in way.”

“Jeez, flattery will get you nowhere.” The long haired chuckled, the blush still not fading. 

Meanwhile, the other adult was in deep thought. Minghao tugged on his sleeve in order to get his attention but he unexpectedly didn't notice him. After he failed, he raised his hand.

“Maybe we should wait ‘till tomorrow for Mr. Jeonghan’s?” He suggested, everyone but Jisoo turning to him. “It'll give us more time.”

“I like that idea!” Jun responded, nodding. “Then we can think real hard on it.”

Seungkwan lifted his hand, smiling happily. “Thank you Minghao, let's do that then!” Minghao smiled and nodded shyly before standing up to leave. The children went back to where they were before, all except Chan.

The youngest sat there as he thought. Standing up, he snuck outside to find some other children in front of the yard. If he remembered correctly, they were from the kindergarten a while away. It looked like they were walking home.

He pleasantly skipped forward, curious to who exactly they were. “Hi!” He waved, instantly gaining their attention.

“What do you want?” A boy said, bitterly. Clearly he wasn't as excited as Chan to see the other, and Chan knew. 

He tried to keep a calm expression however, only thinking that he must have had a bad day. “My name is Dino! Nice to meet you!”

“Dino? That's stupid.” He responded.

The other frowned, cheery aura disappearing. “It's not my real name, it's a nickname. Rude.”

Just then, another boy appeared from behind him, grinning. “So, why are you called that? Are you some sort of secret dinosaur?” He was quickly struck by the other boy.

“Stupid, dinosaurs don't exist.” He scoffed, turning away. “Let's leave.”

Chan blinked owlishly, furrowing his eyebrows. His parents always said dinosaurs were real. “Is he saying my parents are liars?” He thought as he turned the other back around. 

“Watch! I'm gonna show you a real dinosaur! Meet me back here! Tomorrow!”

[Back to the present~]

He sighed once more, recalling the events were dreadful. “Where was I going to find a real life dinosaur? It's impossible unless I go to a jungle!” He cried, covering his face with his hands.

“You need a dinosaur?” 

Chan jumped up at the sudden voice, turning around to see Soonyoung. Behind him was Seokmin and Seungkwan putting on their shoes. Knowing there was no escape, he told the other why.

“Whoa!” Soonyoung shouted, bringing his hands to his lips. “So you have to find a real life dinosaur by tomorrow?”

He nodded, the other two now sitting beside them. “Why don't you go to a jungle then?” Seokmin suggested.

“I can't go to the jungle!” Chan screamed, shaking his head. “There's no pizza there!”

Soonyoung gasped, nodding. “That is a horror.”

Seungkwan thought for a minute, getting an idea on the tip of his tongue. “Guys, I know what to do. Just come to my place, everything will be fine.” He gave a wink, the three now extremely confused but agreed anyways. They decided to sit and wait for their parents in the meantime.

[The next day.]

Chan went through the whole day acting very nervous with a mix of excitement. He was told to keep this all a secret from the others, so when Jihoon asked if he was alright, he had no choice but to lie.

The end of the day had come sooner than expected and Chan sat on the stairs outside. He gulped as he saw the two boys from yesterday approach him. 

“So? Where's your dinosaur?” The bitter boy smirked, looking around.

“He’ll-- It’ll be here!” He stammered, standing up. As if on command, three children came out wearing a large green fabric piece and a dragon mask on top. A roar was heard from inside. Silence, was also heard afterwards.

“So, um, this is my--” Chan was interrupted by a loud laugh from the others.

“Oh my gosh!” He chuckled, holding his stomach. “I can't believe this! You actually failed!”

“I knew dinosaurs weren't real!” The other boy said, slapping his knee.

The boy frowned, looking down at his feet. He could hear the two walking away and the three under the cloth walk towards him. “I'm sorry guys,” He began, sighing. “I guess my parents did lie.”

“They didn't!” Soonyoung bursted out, bringing him closer to the group.

“How do you know?!”

He turned away, rubbing the back of his neck. Chan could see Seungkwan’s face fall. “You told someone about the plan, didn't you?”

“Well I had to make sure!” He responded, holding his hands in the air. “After Jihoon got a weird answer from Chan, he decided to make me tell him what was wrong!”

“So?!” Seokmin shouted, turning to him. “What do you know?!”

“Hold on, stop yelling!” He covered his ears, the two quieting down. “He told me that those kids were stupid, and actually told me to give you something. This would have worked better but..”

He began digging through his pockets and pulled out a large tooth on a string. “This is actually a dinosaur tooth.”

The others’ eyes sparkled, especially Chan’s. “Is this mine?!” The blond nodded, putting around the now mesmerized boy’s neck. He’ll have to thank Jihoon later. 

“That means your parents aren't liars!” Seokmin cheered, pumping his fist in the air.

“But it sure means Soonyoung is one,” Seungkwan added, pouting. “You promised!”

“I'm sorry, I'm sorry!” He called out, none hearing Chan’s small laughter. He had good friends, even if none were dinosaurs.

[Im sorry for being so late guys! A lot of stuff was going on & I couldn't write much ㅠ_ㅠ I'm really sorry! Thanks for reading! I was also writing another one shot-- Sorry again!]