Mix and Match

Recipe to a Good School

A few days in and many of the children were getting along. Well, most of them. While other children were playing soccer one day with Jeonghan and Seungcheol, Minghao was sitting in the corner of the large white room. He watched the other children play happily with a sad smile. Minghao didn’t hate them though, nor did the boy get in trouble, so what could it be? The reason was that he was shy. Very shy. He had recently moved away from his old town and was almost alone in this new one; Excluding his family. He couldn’t approach much of the children without feeling butterflies in his stomach. 

“Why aren’t you playing with the others, Minghao?”

Minghao gasped, turning around quickly to meet the eyes of Jisoo. He had sat down in front of him without noticing. With that happening, he was very tempted to run away. However, the older male gave him a reassuring smile, somewhat relaxing the boy.

“Oh! Could it be that you’re shy?” He said, the boy widening his eyes of how correct he was. Jisoo chuckled as he knew he hit bull’s eye.

“Minghao, I’m going to tell you a story, okay? Would you like to hear it?” Minghao nodded, sitting comfortably. “Did you know, that when I was your age, I was really shy too.”

Minghao blinked owlishly, gasping. “Really?”

“Mhm. I couldn’t go to many people because of this.” He patted the other’s head, smiling softly. “But you know? I decided that being alone wasn’t always a good thing. So, I spoke out.”

“Then what happened?” He muttered up, now engrossed in the story.

“I got really good friends. They were always there for me.”

“Was that Mr. Jeonghan and S. Coups?” He interrupted, eyes sparkling with glee.
 
Jisoo chuckled, nodding. Minghao smiled widely, happy that he got it right. “But S. Coups? Not Mr. Seungcheol?”

He shook his head. “He said that we could call him S. Coups. ‘Cause everyone at the kindergarten are friends.”

He smiled at that sentence, nodding. “He’s right. Say, how about you call me Joshua?”

“Jushuwa?” He tried pronouncing it, Jisoo chuckling at his funny yet adorable way of saying it.

“Mhm. ‘Cause we’re friends now, right?”  

The small boy’s face brightened, stars twirling in his eyes. He nodded with joy before putting on a face of determination. “Jushuwa, how should I try speaking out?”

The older male thought for moment, an idea springing to his mind before anything else. “I got an idea. Let's wait ‘till the others come inside, alright?”

After about an hour or so, they came inside, Jisoo quickly bringing Jeonghan and Seungcheol to the side to speak with them. Minghao stared at them with a curious gaze. What were they going to do?

“Alright, we’re going to do something different from usual.” Jeonghan had a small smile on as he spoke however the other children groaned. A girl raised her hand and said; “What are we doing?”

“I'm glad you asked,” Seungcheol interrupted, walking forward. “We’re going to have a small show and tell. Everyone will pick something in this room and talk about it.”

Minghao gasped, he didn't think it'd be something like this. He gulped, looking towards Jisoo who gave him a thumbs up. “It’s okay!” He told himself. “I can do this.” The boy stood up with the rest of the children, trying to find something interesting.

Seokmin presented first as he found a toy he liked quickly. It was a large superhero toy, almost the size of himself. Minghao recognized it to be the one who usually uses spiderwebs.

Chan went next, holding up a C.D. With Seungcheol’s help, they put it in a C.D player and played it for everyone else. It turned out to be an album of a very popular singer that Chan preferred. He quickly began dancing to it, leaving the children; Including Minghao; Speechless.

Wonwoo showed off his white beanie and talked about how much he liked it. Some complained that it isn't a item in the room and rather one he brought from home but Jisoo quickly said it was okay. 

Seungkwan showed fashionable sunglasses in the shape of stars, trying to rap something that was barely hearable. Soonyoung and Seokmin quickly joined him, wearing other girly items and danced to a girl group song. It was very amusing for everyone there.

In meantime, Soonyoung brought out a DVD player, showing a group of animated friends. Some seemed like singers as the others seemed like ghosts. As he read the plot out, it was clear to everyone that it was an idol anime.

It was then Minghao’s turn. He was going to show a small white teddy bear wearing a gold chain. To the boy, it was very misplaced but it was soft and fluffy.

Once he opened his mouth, he felt the butterflies flying again. He couldn't move nor could he utter a word. The children shot confused looks at him, mumbling words to each other. He couldn't take it anymore. Soon, he blinked owlishly, wet droplets of water dropping from his eyes. Minghao was crying. Embarrassed, he apologized, running outside the room and into the office. Quickly, he hid under the work desk.

It had been a few minutes and Minghao heard nothing or well, nobody looking for him outside the office room. He wondered if they gave up, or even if they cared. With this, tears flowed from his eyes again.

“I'd give you tissues, but Mingyu used all of them.”

He blinked owlishly, looking around but not seeing anyone in front of him. Is he imaging voices?

“Oh, I'm up here! On top the desk.”

Again, he blinked owlishly, slowly crawling out of under the desk and looking up. There, he saw one of the children sitting comfortably with a smile. “His name was..” Minghao thought before opening his mouth. “Jun?”

Jun dropped down from his place, landing right in front of him. His smile didn't falter one bit as he held out his hand. “Yup! You're Minghao, right?” He shook his hand with hesitation, keeping himself away from the other. The other boy looked slightly disappointed because of that. “So, why did you run away?”

“...I didn't feel right.” Minghao replied, surprised he even said anything. 

“Oh. So you didn't feel comfortable?” Jun questioned. He tilted his head in confusion, not knowing what that meant. “Comfortable means you feel right wherever you are!”

With the simple explanation, Minghao nodded, understanding his sentence much more. Suddenly, the other boy brought him into a hug. He gasped, not knowing if he should hug back or not.

“See? I feel comfortable with you because I can hug you.” He said, letting go of the other to see his shocked face. Quickly, he blushed, apologizing to him. “I just wanna help, you kn--”

He was interrupted by Minghao once he brought him back in the hug. It was as if the roles were suddenly reversed. He let go of him, wiping the tears from his face before speaking. “Thank you. I feel better now. We should go.” Minghao walked to the door, about to open it until he noticed the other not following. “Are you coming? I think they’re worried.”

And with that, Jun snapped out of his small daze, following the other.

The two came back to the room, everyone crowding around them. 

“Minghao! We’re sorry if we upset you!” Soonyoung said, Seokmin quickly running beside him.

“We’ll tell you jokes to make you feel better!” He said.

The small boy chuckled, shaking his head. “It's my fault anyways, I'm sorry everyone.” 

Jisoo came forward, patting his head and speaking. “Maybe we should all play a game and forget what happened.” The children agreed, following Jisoo.

Minghao didn't follow just yet however, he still felt small butterflies in his stomach. They vanished once more however, once Jun grabbed onto his hand.

And with that, Minghao made a promise to himself to feel comfortable.