Eight

Flying Without Wings

Jeonghan stares up at the grand entrance of Everland with his eyes squinted, the morning sunlight intruding the view that he lifts a hand to shade his sight. 

He takes a short glance at his watch and purses his lips. He's not too early, is he? He's only fifteen minutes early to the meeting time they promised together because for some reason he woke up early — surprise, surprise. The excitement of going to an amusement park after so long, he guesses. 

He rocks on his heels a little, the megaphone has been shouting out children-like tone welcomes over and over and by now Jeonghan has memorized the cheerful jingle down to each words, all while waiting for Seungcheol and Seungkwan to come around. It's only six minutes past their meeting time, Jeonghan figures they will arrive a little later. 

And a little later they do.

With the corner of his eyes he spots a familiar figure jogging his way, clothed in all-blacks that contradicts the whole bright mood the park has to offer and yet he can't help but curl up a smile when the figure approaches, even though curiosity still boggles his mind as to why he's alone.

"Sorry'm late!" Seungcheol drops his hands on his knees as soon as he stops in front of Jeonghan, trying his best to catch up with his breath and occassionally wiping up the beads of sweat on his forehead. Jeonghan just laughs it off and shakes his head, handing him a couple pulls of tissues that Seungcheol takes in gratitude. "I swear that shuttle bus driver is way too slow."

"I'm guessing because he has to, with the kids he takes on as well and everything," Jeonghan curls his fingers on the strap of his backpack, somehow patiently waiting until the other male is up straight and properly breathing again before he asks — mentioned?, "You're alone."

Seungcheol looks at him with a blink of his eyes, lacking oxygen in his brain from all the running that he has to take longer to process Jeonghan's question. "Oh! Right. Seungkwan's suddenly sick, he keeps going to the bathroom to puke nonstop since morning so he told me he'd pass or he'll cause trouble. So yeah. I'm sorry I forgot to let you know, I was trying to make him something to eat and next thing I knew I had to rush or I'd be late. Which I am. I'm sorry again."

"Ah," is all Jeonghan could say with a nod of his head, a smile on his lips. "That's very nice of you. Don't worry, you're not that far late."

And then he wonders if he should mention that Hansol is getting a major headache all of a sudden as well. "So is Hansol," he ends up doing so.

Seungcheol looks at him wide-eyed, half-surprised, half-intrigued. "Really? Huh, what a coincidence," he makes frown on the middle of his forehead and Jeonghan finds it a little adorable, though he doesn't mention it. "Is it the weird season? Spring is a little late indeed and the spring dust is kind of the source of all possible sickness lately."

Jeonghan just shrugged. "I don't know? I mean, we're fine, aren't we?" 

"I guess our immune system is better."

Jeonghan chuckles, but his fingers unconciously fiddling together when he suddenly is hit by the realization that he's going to spend the rest of the day with Seungcheol alone. It was originally an exciting and boisterous outing plan with your friends before, but now it has turned out like this and Jeonghan finds the air heavy with awkwardness ― though not in a bad way, per se ― because doesn't this mean this is a... date?

His eyes flicker up and he feels his cheeks heating up a little when he locks gaze with Seungcheol, simply because he realizes Seungcheol's thinking the exact same thing with his sudden silence. He sees him uselessly patting away the lower part of his perfectly clean coat and throwing Jeonghan a mili-second quick smile before commenting about the cold weather as he rubs his hands together. If he wasn't feeling just as suddenly anxious as Seungcheol is, he'd find him out-of-this-world adorable. But he's making things more complicated than it should be.

Jeonghan trails his thought back to when they first met, how Seungcheol's eyes lighten up so obviously every time they accidentally catch each others' gaze, and how chattery Seungcheol seems to be when he's with Seungkwan or their other friends and suddenly cat gets his tongue when it's his turn to talk to him.

Jeonghan also remembers the time when he considers Seungcheol nothing else but Seungkwan's funny but somewhat kind roommate that he met on that shampoo aisle in the nearby mart, and how from there onwards they seem to be seeing each other a lot more often, whether it is planned or not.

And then before he knows it, he’s already in love with Seungcheol. Slowly, then all at once, people used to say. He never thought he'd experienced something so novel-like in his life.

Jeonghan is never one to get into romance so easily. Not because he's picky or anything, but just because he never felt the need to be in one when he's perfectly fine doing things on his own. He has Hansol and Jisoo around more often than not, though with Hansol hanging over Seungkwan and Seungcheol's more often and Jisoo finding someone to flirt with at the cafe near his own apartment ― a cute guy with a smile that lights up the world, Jeonghan remembers him saying ― he finds his loneliness grows more by the day, and the only one he's left with to confide with is the nice halmeoni two doors beside him who often invites him for lunch, or the strangely-ever-available Seungcheol. He can't possibly intrude the halmeoni too much so he often goes for the latter.

Distance makes the heart grow fonder, they say, but Jeonghan begs to differ. It's their frequent proximity that makes his heart grow fonder.

"Jeonghan?"

His train of thoughts is snapped by Seungcheol's voice, who he finds is looking at him in nothing but worry. He resembles that one golden retriever one of his customers usually brings in to his shop every morning.

"You okay?"

He doesn't realize he has been staring at Seungcheol for a three minute now, but he has every good reason too. His gaze follows every crevice of Seungcheol's features slowly, mapping the smallest details and storing it deep in his brain. 

He never really felt the need to actually stop and stare to notice how handsome he actually is before, and he's regretting he hasn't done this sooner. His long lashes, the way his eyebrows furrowed in worry, his high nose bridge, the small crook in his cheek that makes for a dimple when he makes a certain expression — Jeonghan fell for the warmth of Seungcheol's heart but the way his emotions show so blatantly on his handsome features makes him fall deeper. He wonders if they're taking too much of each others' time by not progressing into anything when it's clear they're so into each other.

And then somehow, he realizes what if it's Seungcheol that was holding himself back? What if he's just respecting his space, disregarding his own feelings and the possiblity that Jeonghan might feel the same way because he's never really shown obvious hints on how much he's actually into Seungcheol? Jeonghan isn't a man of many words when it comes to his emotions and he has never regretted something as much as this at this point of his life. 

So he decides he should try harder. A new determination.

"Mhm, let's go," Jeonghan just smiles at Seungcheol then, sliding his hand to meet his and linking them together, finger by finger like couples do instead of platonic friends, and pulling the visibly stupefied boy along with a soft laugh, "We have a date to enjoy."

 

 

- - -

 

 

"Next!"

"No!"

"What, why not!"

Seungcheol groans, tugging at their linked hands slightly as he folded himself forward, trying to catch his breath, "Jeonghan, so far we've taken the Vikings, the Disco PangPang, the T-Express, the X-Train twice in the span of twenty minutes—," he inhales deeply, "let's take a short break, please? Before I throw up for real. Trust me, you don't want that."

Jeonghan snickers instead, turning around to face Seungcheol properly. "You're my age but why do I feel like you're my dad's age?"

"Shut up," Seungcheol coughs his bubbling nausea away before standing up straight again, "Let's ride something easy. Please?"

"Fine," Jeonghan huffs.

"Or we can just sit down—"

"Robot VR? Cups? Bumper Car?" Jeonghan cuts with his suggestions with a small tilt of his head, and Seungcheol has to hold back the urge to squish his adorableness out of him. "Merry Go Round?"

But even the thought alone is enough to make him dizzy, so Seungcheol shakes his head fervently.

"Those are the kiddies rides already, why are you like this!" Jeonghan whines and if Seungcheol could laugh, he really would. But there's no time to waste when the entrance fee is over 50,000 won. "The Ferris Wheel is my last bid. We just need to sit down and if you still say no—"

"Alright, alright, the ferris wheel," Seungcheol cuts, scared of what would happen if he disagrees again and just chuckles. "There should be less lines at this time of day."

And it is, once they turn around and walk over to the attraction, the amount of waiting customers are within finger count. Maybe because no one wants to ride the peaceful ride at 3 in the afternoon. The sunset's still too far away.

"Welcome to Festival World," the cheerful worker greets them and Seungcheol can only smile at him because Jeonghan is already pulling him inside that he almost stumbles and the worker quickly adds, "Please mind your step, there's no need to hurry."

Jeonghan just laughs while Seungcheol grumbles. 

The worker locks the door securely and suddenly a big chunk of the earlier noisiness in the park is removed, and even more so when the wheel starts to go.

"It's been so long since I last ride a ferris wheel," Jeonghan practically glues his forehead on the window, bright eyes scanning the sight under them as they rise higher, "this is so fun even riding it as an adult, isn't it?"

Seungcheol chuckles and turns his head to him when Jeonghan calls, and he suddenly realizes how small this car is because Jeonghan's face is right in front of his, given only two inches gap. He splutters incoherently, but thankfully Jeonghan is distracted by the view again before he can see him being all flustered. 

"Thank you, Seungcheol," Jeonghan mutters, visibly calming down now that the buildings under them starting to get smaller, and Seungcheol was going to ask 'what for' when Jeonghan seems to be reading his mind and he turns to him with a grin, "For not running away and accompanying me today instead."

"Why would I run away—" Is the only thing he questions, but Jeonghan chuckles even then.

"I don't know, you could've not get down the bus when you see me alone. It was supposed to be the four of us. What if the idea of going to an amusement park with me pressures you?"

"What— That's— No! Why would it pressure me?" Okay, it did a bit, in the beginning because he wasn't ready for a full day with Jeonghan alone, but definitely not now. "Don't be ridiculous, it's a fun day. Being with you is fun. It's like bringing my little brother around."

"Little brother, huh?" Jeonghan inquires, teasing, raising an eyebrow while there's a small smirk playing on his lips. "Here I thought this was a really fun date."

Seungcheol opens and closes his mouth like a dumb fish again in surprise. "I- I mean, yeah, it is uh- a date, I guess, but I'm just saying-"

Jeonghan bursts out laughing again and Seungcheol hisses, holding back the urge to pout. Jeonghan loves teasing him. "Relax, Seungcheol. I can't handle it when you're being so cute."

What.

"Uh-"

"Oh look, we're right on the very top!" Jeonghan presses his forehead to the glass again and Seungcheol can't help but do the same after a good moment staring at Jeonghan's adorable antics, even though his mind is going haywire.

They were followed by silence as Seungcheol falls into the depth of his thoughts, trying to decode Jeonghan's words but there is still an occasional little talks especially when Jeonghan asks his help to take a picture — Seungcheol manages to sneak one using his own phone with the excuse of Jeonghan's phone being a little too slow — that is, until Jeonghan calls out for him.

"Hey, Cheol?"

Seungcheol responds with a distracted hum.

"I like you a lot. Be my boyfriend?"

There's a what the followed by a soft thud sound as Seungcheol hits his own back on the car as he stumbles in his seat, and when Jeonghan turns to him he sees him staring saucery-eyes that Jeonghan couldn't help but burst out laughing.

"Wh- Jeonghan, don't with me, that's not funny!"

"But I'm serious!" Jeonghan tries his best to purse his lips, swallowing back the urge to continue laughing, and he just slides over to settle himself on Seungcheol's lap with his arms rounding his neck, much to the latter's otherworldly shock. He just grins. "I really really like you. You're like a big yet soft guard dog that's both ready to attack anyone who hurt me and whine when I don't pet you every two minutes. It's honestly adorable and at this point I can't really imagine being just friends with you."

Really, all Seungcheol can do is stare, and stare some more. Stunned? Shocked? Surprised? All of the above?

"Say something," Jeonghan whines after a good while, and only then does he snap back to reality.

"Sorry, I just," he sighs, sounding rather shaky as he laughs, "Wow, I can't believe this is really happening to me. I've been so into you for the longest time, you know? Like, probably from the very moment I saw you in that shampoo aisle?" 

"I know."

He chokes again. "You do?!"

Jeonghan rolls his eyes. "Really, Seungcheol? You're being as discreet as a ten-foot-pole trying to hide behind a teeny tiny bush, do you really think I wouldn't notice?"

"... I thought I did a good job at hiding it."

Jeonghan smacks his forehead lightly. "I can't believe I like you."

This time Seungcheol grins, arms already working to wrap around Jeonghan's slender waist. "Yeah, I really can't either."

Jeonghan leans down to press a gentle yet firm kiss on his lips then, and Seungcheol — still somewhat in denial at first — finally melts into the kiss, and tilts his head just slightly to return it. His heart swells proudly; Jeonghan's soft lips on his feels so perfect it's almost sinful. He finds himself staring at them even when they part, just a teensy bit, still enough to feel each other's soft breath on their features.

"So was that a yes? A no? You just want to kiss me back or what?" Jeonghan teases him again, a smug grin on his lips. Seungcheol can't believe he's missed all the hints on how cheeky he is.

"Stop that, you know my answer."

"Then say it."

Seungcheol grumbles, resting his forehead on Jeonghan's shoulder like it's natural to do so, mumbling a quick it's a yes of course that Jeonghan heartily laughs.

They stay in that position until the ride comes to a stop, feeling a lot more comfortable than they first did that Seungcheol cursed himself for taking too slow on this. But all is well in the end, and he couldn't be happier.

They're greeted with the same worker when Jeonghan hops off the car a little too energetically. "Now, boyfriend, you have to accompany me on all the rides, no protesting allowed," he pulls at Seungcheol again and the older groans, trying to deny reality. "Break time's over. We need to get back on track, no money wasted."

But even with all the screaming and incoming nausea aside, as he stares at Jeonghan's soft, chestnut brown hair and their linked fingers, Seungcheol smiles, realizing this is what they say flying without wings really feel like, and he just can't wait to fly higher.

 

 

- - -

 

 

"Do you think they'll notice?" Hansol doesn't take his eyes off the TV, only flinching every now and then when Deadpool slashes his enemies away, "I hope not, I spent my morning pulling on my nose to make it red."

"Me too, I should get an Oscar by now. You should've heard me," Seungkwan's mouth is busy munching away popcorns that Hansol almost couldn't hear what he's saying, "Also, never try to gag yourself to make a believable fake-throw up. You'll end up throwing up for real."

Hansol snaps his head at him, scandalized. "Why'd you do that—"

"I want to be a professional," he shrugs, ignoring the strange expressions Hansol keep making, "And they won't notice, come on. We're good actors. I bet they'd have a great time together they actually forget about us."

"Guess you're right," Hansol tries to high-five him but misses and only gets the pads of his fingers — none of them are even bothering to look because it's almost the peak of the movie. "We should audition for a movie or a musical together soon."

Seungkwan laughs, finally turning to the other and stealing a peck on his cheek before plopping more popcorns in to his mouth. "Call."

 

 

so this is the end of this fic f i n a l l y !!! i think it's best to end it here because this was what i originally wanted, stopping right when they happen.
it's also so i can continue making other jeongcheol stories for yall, i know we all are thirsty for some actions right winkwink.

anyways, thank you so much for staying with this long-, slow word vomit 8 chapters. i appreciate each and every one of you and your comments, they always make my day. stay awesome, i love you all!
please stay tuned for more jeongcheol from yours truly. : )