Six

Flying Without Wings

"Explain yourselves."

All four of them is currently seated at Jeonghan's living room; well, not really. Only Seungkwan and Hansol, while Seungcheol sits on the arm chair right next to it and Jeonghan pacing behind Seungcheol hastily, muttering something along the lines off 'I'm never sitting on that couch anymore'.

Seungkwan fidgets in his seat, fingers fiddling with the hem of his white tee. Seungcheol is in no way angry, he knows it, but he still can't find it in himself to lift his head and look at him. It's his fault for hiding his secret rendezvous with Hansol these past few weeks.

"I was waiting for you, but I got bored, so I came here thinking Jeonghan hyung probably knew where you were," Seungkwan's voice comes out as nothing but an almost inaudible mumble, "We were just watching a movie, I don't know how things escalated—"

"It was my idea," Hansol interjected with Seungkwan looking at him wide-eyed, but Seungcheol knows better. He knows Seungkwan better. So he only lifts a finger, and Hansol immediately shuts up and shrinks back in his seat.

Seungcheol sighs out loud, and Jeonghan rests his hand on his shoulder as if to say 'calm down'. So he does; he does takes his moment before standing up, "Let's go home, Seungkwan."

"No."

The firm answer is somewhat unexpected.

"No?" Seungcheol repeats, eyebrows frowning, just to make sure.

"No." Seungkwan's voice sounds more firm this time, and all eyes fall on him. He gulps. "I— I like Hansol. I know—," He whines when he sees Seungcheol opening his mouth, a silent plea to let him finish, so Seungcheol, being the good hyung he is, closes his mouth again, "I know I say that a lot to almost all the guys I had crushes on, but I really mean it this time. We've seen each other a few times—behind your backs, I know, I'm sorry—and I really like him. Like, really. So I thought, you know... Today might be a good time for our first."

Everyone falls silent at that, but Seungcheol notices Hansol doesn't seem too fazed. How long have they been in this... relationship?

"Fine," Seungcheol sighs in the end, giving up like the weak hyung he is, but as soon as he sees Seungkwan beaming in a smile, he can't help but let out a chuckle. "Protection. Don't forget."

Seungkwan raises his hand to a salute, his feet clasping together trying to imitate army soldiers, but for some reason it looks pretty much comedic. "Yes, Sir."

"Now wait, hold on a minute there."

The relaxed atmosphere tenses again when all eyes now fall on Jeonghan, all kinds of disturbed evident in his eyes. "This is my house. I get to decide the end call."

With an eyebrow quirked upwards, Seungcheol watches as both Hansol and Seungkwan whine, trying to use their full-force aegyo to get rid of the owner of the house so they can do the do.

How much funnier can this situation be?

Jeonghan groans, hands holding his head, looking dillematic than ever. "I really don't want to be a party-pooper and I adore you, Seungkwan, truly. Even though I question your choice in boys with Hansol over here— ("Hey!") —but how am I supposed to sleep with you two doing it on my couch?!"

"Well..." Seungkwan glances at Seungcheol for a brief second, and by the way he fidgets with the hem of his shirt again, Seungcheol knows he might not like whatever's going to come out of that mouth, but he's a milisecond to late in stopping him, "You can stay at our place? I'm sure Seungcheol hyung wouldn't mind..."

"Whoa!" Seungcheol raises both hands in defense. "Hold your horses, Kwan, who stays where now?!"

"Jeonghan hyung. Staying at our place." Seungkwan blinks as if it's the most normal thing he says, "He can stay in your room since you have comfier bed. You can take my room."

Seungcheol finds Jeonghan's eyes are on him now, but he can't really place the way he looks at him. Is he actually approving or is that gaze means it's a terrible idea?!

"Sounds fine by me." Jeonghan shrugs, and Seungcheol gargles.

"What?!"

"What?" Jeonghan blinks as he casually gathers his things again. "I'm just staying there for one night, Cheol, give these kids a moment."

Cheol. Jeonghan never calls him Cheol. He kind of likes it. Cheol. It's nice hearing that out of Jeonghan's mouth.

Wait a second, Choi Seungcheol, focus!

"I can sleep on the couch if you're so opposed of the idea."

"What," Seungcheol almost chokes, "No, that's not what I mean—"

"Then let's go," Jeonghan takes his hand almost immediately and Seungcheol finds himself spluttering indignantly, "They are actually oozing just from their eyes and it's suffocating my pathetic single self."

 

 

 

"Teenagers and their uncontrollable hormones."

Seungcheol hears Jeonghan grumbling as he's dragged away to the stairs, but he swears there's an oozing fondness hinting behind that Seungcheol catches.

"You let them have your house for a night," Seungcheol means his words to be more teasing, but he ends up sounding gentler than he's supposed to, "What an awesome hyung you are."

"Yeah, well, what other choice do I have? I'm not having real-life on my ears all night long."

Seungcheol grins, but it falters a little when Jeonghan releases his hand.

"Hansol hasn't been home for a year, at least." Jeonghan's voice falters, so small that Seungcheol ligtens his steps just to hear it more clearly, "His home's broken now with his parents' constant fight. They refuse to get a divorce though, something about pride and title. So my house has been his ever since. Most of the time, I don't mind, he's nice, and he cleans properly. He even pays the bills when he's got the money."

This is probably the first time Jeonghan has told him a story—something outside of what prank his clubmates do to his professor, or of that weird-smelled mayo on his beef burger—it's something significant, something deep, something he cares about. And he tells it to Seungcheol without even a falter of doubt. So Seungcheol feels the need to listen well.

"Poor kid, though." Jeonghan sighs, heavy steps slowing down as they descent the stairs, "If only I can provide more for him."

"A roof over his head and bread for his stomach are more than enough, I'm sure he's very thankful," Seungcheol finds himself speaking up, and smiles when Jeonghan catches his eyes. Jeonghan smiles back.

"I do hope so."

It was quite the struggle for Seungcheol to find his house key; he had to check through all his pockets and endure a chuckle from Jeonghan (which he doesn't mind at all; his laugh sounds really nice anyway), but when he does find it on his back pocket along with his wallet, his next challenge is to properly jab it into the keyhole.

It's just hard not to be nervous when you're going to sleep together with your crush.

Not necessarily on the same bed and with less dirty behind the choice of words, but still just as nerve-wracking.

"You okay there?"

"Yep." No. But his key finally clicks and he turns it open and he sings Hallelujah inwardly. "Make yourself at home, literally. I'm pretty sure you already know this house better than I do."

Jeonghan laughs in agreement. "I've been here too much, haven't I?"

"I don't complain." Seungcheol grins, praising himself for the sudden urge of boldness that sends Jeonghan chuckling and is he blushing?

"I'll just take the couch."

"Don't be silly," Seungcheol immediately rushes towards his bedroom, making a quick pat on his mattress to make sure everything's clean, "Sleep on my bed. I'll sleep in Seungkwan's room." He sees Jeonghan hesitating a little, so he pushes him inside while he contemplates. "I insist."

"Why not we sleep together?"

Seungcheol would have fainted if he failed to catch the grin on Jeonghan's lips and the glint of mischief in his eyes. "Careful, I might really try."

Jeonghan laughs, and Seungcheol does too, genuinely. 

"Oh, right, change. Uh—" Hurrying towards his drawer, he easily pulls out a pair of shorts, though it takes him a while to find a simple shirt. He throws them over to Jeonghan, who catches it like a pro with a grateful smile on his lips.

"Well."

Seungcheol blinks. "Well what?"

"I'm going to change?" Jeonghan inquires, almost blushing, "I mean feel free to stay, but don't get a hard on."

"Please." Seungcheol fakes a snort, but he knows the possibility is indeed too high. So he rushes outside after grabbing a pair of sleeping attire himself, followed by Jeonghan's melodious laugh, towards Seungkwan's room and change.

His shirt turns out to be a whole lot bigger on Jeonghan; which surprises him, because he never really thinks Jeonghan's the small type. But then again, he's skinny, which probably is the real reason.

"Good night, Seungcheol."

Jeonghan's muffled voice from one side of his room snaps him from his thought, but he smiles, even though the other can't see him.

"Good night, Jeonghan."

 

 

 

Seungcheol can't sleep.

Obviously. While being under one roof with his crush is not a big deal at all, this is Jeonghan, and it is a big deal for Seungcheol. 

He grabs his phone with a sigh to peek at the time. 3:04. He's been tossing and turning for more than 2 hours. Great.

He groans, trying to clamp his eyelids shut because he needs to be up early tomorrow for his class and yet his whole body is awake. We're not even in the same room.

A soft turn on his door knob almost throws him off the bed in surprise, but when Jeonghan appears from the gap in between, he's sure he had never been this surprised before.

"Can I sleep with you?" Jeonghan's voice is soft, but it rings echoes in Seungcheol's mind louder than all the speakers in his club combined.

"But—" why, Seungcheol almost blurts, but Jeonghan already slides in the room without waiting for his approval, leaving him dumbfounded, but scooting away slightly anyway when Jeonghan settles down next to him, literally inches away from him.

Seungcheol desperately wishes Jeonghan can't hear his heartbeat from this closeness.

"Is that your heartbeat I hear?"

Dammit.

"Uh."

"It is? Wow, that's loud." Jeonghan laughs, but this time Seungcheol can't find himself laughing back, too flustered with the entire situation that he can't focus on what to think, let alone notice the pink blossoming on Jeonghan's cheek as he murmurs, "Don't worry, you're not the only one."

What.

Seungcheol blinks, heart racing even faster and louder in his ribs. He wants to confront Jeonghan about it, but his back is already facing him and he murmurs good night for the second time that day that Seungcheol swallows his words to himself.

Does that mean what I think it means?



 

 

Okay, I owe you guys an apology. I'm really sorry for putting this story on hold for like months? Was it two months? My close uncle and my grandfather passed away almost at the same time, within the same month, and it was a really, really depressing time for me that I haven't had any muse at all to follow K-POP, let alone writing. I'm better now, still recovering, I was really close to both of them and it was really a shock as they both passed away without any prior illness or whatever. Sigh. So yes, I'm asking for your forgiveness and understanding. I'm not going to abandon this story, but it will end in a couple more chapters. I hope you guys understand, again I'm sorry for being inactive!