Three

Flying Without Wings

"What are these?" Seungcheol asked, peeking inside the huge eco bag with a big, bold pink letters of "I'm flaming(o) hot" he's holding. He wishes for once Seungkwan would stop buying ridiculous bags.

"Tteokbokki, kimchi, and some side dishes." Seungkwan shortly responds as he arranges the last lunch box into the bag, "I promised Jeonghan some the last time we met, poor guy lives alone and misses homemade food too much. This'll do until my exam finishes and I can cook for hi--"

"What." Seungcheol blinks. "Ho-Hold on, hold on, hold just right there--" And then he takes a step back, looking very much scandalized and betrayed on all levels, "You. Met Jeonghan. Again."

Seungkwan blinks. "Uh. Yeah."

"Without me."

"Mhm."

"...When?"

"Remember when you stayed at Wonwoo's for a few days to tutor him Calculus?"

Seungcheol dramatically gasps. "...You didn't."

Seungkwan grins that grin that Seungcheol hates so much. "Oh, I so did. A few times."

Cue dramatic wails like a seal in the distance. "...Whyyy, Seungkwan, whyyy."

"Well, actually the correct question is," Seungkwan hums, "Why not?"

"Because did you not hear me these past few days?!"

It surprises Seungkwan that Seungcheol would actually realize how much of an idiot he was being these past few days with all his 'Jeonghan is so beautiful, Jeonghan is such an angel, Jeonghan has the most beautiful hair in the world, Jeonghan Jeonghan Jeonghan'. He was pretty sure the older wouldn't.

"A few days in and you're so whipped already, huh."

"Correction," Seungcheol raises a fore-finger as a warning, "Captivated."

Seungkwan snorts. What even is the difference?  "Fine." He finally sighs, putting the last lunchbox inside the bag and handing them altogether to Seungcheol's unawaiting hand. "Here, be me and deliver this to Jeonghan, and maybe actually form a few proper words to talk to him this time."

Seungcheol stills for a few seconds, obviously trying to grasp the situation.

"I'm going to see Jeonghan...?"

"Yeah...?" Seungkwan is unsure now that the older doesn't seem so excited. "I thought that's what you want--"

"Well, yeah, I do, but not alone, you know--"

"Oh, shut it!" Seungkwan growls, glaring at him and Seungcheol cowers. It's funny to see how much control Seungkwan has over him when he's the older one. "You're going. You're gonna knock on that door, you're gonna smile, and you're gonna have a conversation with it, and finally you're gonna have a progress with him because God I'm so tired with your self-conversation about him."

"What self-conversation, I was talking about him with you!"

"Well, I don't want to! I have him under 'Pretty and Very Nice Neighbor' in my head, please don't make me change it to 'Seungcheol's Stupid Crush'."

Seungcheol whines, but Seungkwan ignores him and forces the bag to his hand before pushing him towards the door, impatiently opening it. "Be good, and tell him I say hi!"

Seungcheol wants to protest, but his mouth opens as the door closes, and he's left grumbling. He's not ready for this, nope. Jeonghan's beauty is going to blind him and without a preparation whatsoever, he doesn't know if he's going to survive.

"I know you're still there." He hears Seungkwan's loud voice muffled from the inside. "Go now. He's waiting."

And so Seungcheol, with a heavy heart and sweaty palms, finally does.

 

 

 

It's been around ten minutes (eight minutes and forty nine seconds; no, Seungcheol's not counting) since he arrived in front of Jeonghan's door, and yet he's still bouncy. He's been walking to and fro from the door and the elevator close by, contemplating on just going in or going back and let Seungkwan do it like how it's originally supposed to be.

It's pathetic, he knows, how much he's whipped (oh, fine, whipped it is) when it comes to Jeonghan, and they only met a couple of weeks ago. 

Seungcheol is never good with crushes, love, and everything in between; it's not his best forte. He's good with logic; maths, physics, visible and solid and countable paraphernalias. And as much as he likes Jeonghan, having ending up two of his long-term relationship being dumped with something along 'this is getting boring' or 'you just don't know how to make me happy anymore' even when he tried his best, he's rather afraid of progress.

So he was thinking, maybe admiring Jeonghan from afar will be better for the both of them, because he sure doesn't want to mess this one up. Jeonghan seems really nice; a part of Seungcheol wants him, another part fights because he doesn't want the beautiful angel to just end up in the list of his past.

"Seungcheol?"

He looks up in surprise at the sudden call of his name, finding Jeonghan with his eyebrows furrowed right in front of his eyes. "Wh--"

"Hi! Why are you here, you're not lost are you? I'm pretty sure you need to take another set of stairs to get to your floor."

Words are just so hard to form when there's an angel with his blinding smile in front of you.

But thankfully Seungcheol's eyes caught the huge black plastic bag that Jeonghan's holding, and assuming he's going somewhere, he blurts, "I'm here to walk you!"

Jeonghan blinks, glancing at the plastic in his hold and the end of the hallway. "To the garbage chute...?"

Seungcheol guesses it's too late to take back his offer, so he nods, rather unsurely.

"Well, if you insist." Jeonghan shrugs with a chuckle, turning to walk and Seungcheol quickly follows. "I'm sure you have other reasons to come here, but I guess I'll take advantage of this service while I can."

Okay, now he remembers. He has a bag full of food for Jeonghan in his hand. Yes. How did he forget again-- Oh right, the angel blinding him, yes.

"It's rather strange seeing you here with me and not your brother."

"Wait. What?" Seungcheol has to frown and finally turns to look at him. "My brother?"

"Yeah, Seungkwan?"

"What, no no no," Seungcheol laughs; which surprises himself because he doesn't think he'd be able to do that with Jeonghan around, "No, he's just my roommate. No blood-lines. I thought he told you when we first met?"

"Oh." Jeonghan's eyes widen in surprise ('so cute') and there's an embarrassed pink hue on his cheeks ('why are you doing this to me, Jeonghan'). "Oh my God, I'm so sorry! I thought since you're both Seung, so I assumed-- I guess I was a little distracted when Seungkwan said so." He shakes his head with another shy chuckle.

The chute isn't too far from where they are that with the conversation, Jeonghan dumps the bag in and they're already walking back to his unit. 

"It's okay, I get that a lot, sadly." Seungcheol grins, emphasizing the last word just for laugh, and Jeonghan actually does. Seungcheol's heart soars at the sound.

"It must be nice, having a roommate."

Seungcheol shrugs. "I guess, especially if they cook. But that's if you don't mind the constant motherly nagging."

"I'll take the nagging any day," Jeonghan laughs, jabbing his key back to his door to unlock it, and gesturing to Seungcheol to follow him inside, "but only because I'm a horrible cook."

Jeonghan's apartment is rather hollow; not too many furnitures, though they are nicely decorated on certain corners, and obviously very clean. Seungcheol toes his shoes off as in on cue, not wanting to leave a spot of dirt in the holy vicinity.

"Why aren't you looking for a roommate then?"

"Because I have two. Well-- Not a roommate, per se, just my two best friends. They consider this place their new home and has been acting like they own the place ever since I got it; duplicating my keys, coming in and out whenever they want." Jeonghan sighs, but Seungcheol can sense the fondness in his voice when he talks about them, so he smiles.

"They sound nice."

"Most of the time." Jeonghan heads to the kitchen and Seungcheol carefully follows, leaning on the counter and putting down the bag of food he has as Jeonghan washes his hands. "There are exceptions, though. The younger one, Hansol, often scolds me for something as mundane as not throwing away empty toothpaste tube."

"Oh, don't I know it."

They exchange glances at that, their lips slowly curling up before they burst in a fit of chuckles.

Seungcheol likes this, how comfortable Jeonghan is making him even when he was originally terrified and shedding sweats trying to strike a conversation with him. Maybe it's a good start. (Maybe it's not. Seungcheol is eager, but his trauma is setting an unwanted limit for him.)

"Oh, what's this?" Jeonghan's focus is immediately taken by the bag.

"Food from Seungkwan." Seungcheol takes the lunchboxes one by one, chuckling when he hears the other's excited noises. "He wanted to take it to you personally but he needs to study for his exams, so here I am. He promises to cook you more when they're done, though."

"That angel," Jeonghan sighs in content (and Seungcheol silently snickers), opening the lunchboxes one by one to bask in the smell of homemade food, "Tell him thank you and that I will eat them well. I owe him now, he can ask for a favor anytime in return for these."

Seungcheol nods, and Jeonghan puts everything in the fridge. Seungcheol finds himself staring the whole time.

"You know, it would be nice if we can have coffee sometime."

"Yeah?" It's very hard not to stutter at this point, but Seungcheol manages to do so safely, because he might as well mean both Seungcheol and Seungkwan by 'us', probably with the additional tag-alongs of his friends, so maybe it's better not to keep his hopes up too much. "I'll ask Seungkwan then, I'll let you know."

"No, Seungcheol." Jeonghan chuckles, "I meant just us two."

Seungcheol must be wide-eyed in surprise because Jeonghan is laughing, the sound light and oh-so-heavenly in Seungcheol's ears.

"I already know Seungkwan enough to stop by your apartment for coffee and turn on the TV without asking him for permission." He leans closer, and Seungcheol feels all the air in his lungs taken away from him, "I want to get to know you better."

 

 

 

Seungkwan is a very confused boy when the first thing Seungcheol does when he comes home is kissing both cheeks with a series of 'thank you thank you thank you you're awesome I owe you my life', but he's Boo Seungkwan, and it's not that hard for him to know Seungcheol was more than just thankful for his idea.

Fingers crossed; third time's the charm.

 


omg guys I'm so sorry for the late update!! Life is being harsh on me but on the brighter note, Jeongcheol tag on tumblr is ON FIRE. They can't keep their hands off each other, why. ; - ; *clutches my poor heart So CUTE UGH