019

Daeun's Mystery
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Can you tell me more about that Seo Wonsuk guy?" 

She smiled then cleared . "You want to know?"

"Why not?"

She nodded, clear amusement decorated her face. "What do you want to know about him?" She dropped her chopsticks on the side of her bowl and leaned backwards.

I hummed for a moment, mixed thoughts raced in my mind. What do I want to know? If she meant that, she maybe knows everything about him. Actually I'm usually imprudent in what everything my mother did, because she knew that they won't bug my life.

But something about her and the Seo Wonsuk guy made me curious on everything that they up to. 

"What is your relationship with the guy?" I asked without the bet of an eye. Watching closely on her actions, I slowly leaned back, keeping my calm expression on. 

My mother stiffend. I watched closely as her eyes started to wander everywhere but avoiding my eyes at the same time, clearly looking for answers. After a long period of silence, I decided to stiffle out a quiet cough. "So, mother?"

"Uh, he's...a friend. A childhood friend. Wait, I told you before didn't I?" she straightened her posture from her seat.

I sniffed and fiddled with my fingers from underneath the table. "You guys seems close." I looked up and smiled bitterly. "Is he my father?" 

The question just came out of nowhere actually. I've been doing a lot of thinking about these matters that it almost drives me to lunatic. Too much for overprotection and keeping me stay longer with oblivious, I just need to get the question out of my mind after keeping it in for who knows how long. 

"I thought we agreed to not talk about this," My mother stated, her fingers drumming on the wooden table.

Sighed, I answered, "Yes we did but that was years ago mother. I'm not a little child anymore, I need to know who's actually my father." I breathed out. "Is it him? Seo Wonsuk?"

My mother fixed her eyes on me for a couple of seconds before blinking and slightly shook her head before reluctantly voiced out, "I actually didn't plan to tell you all of these but since you've asked...and you've already grown up so...I need to tell you this," she paused for a while and soon nodded her head as she returned her eyes on me, a small curve tugged at the end of her lips.

"You're actually...adopted Kang Daeun. I'm...not your biological mother." she breathed out, worries decorated her eyes as she quickly averted her eyes from me.

I almost chocked on my own saliva. "Wha...what?" I stuttered. Not sure if I am actually stunned or in awe or amused. I'm sure myself that I heard it right. Lee Sohyun, the one who took care of me since I was a little child, is actually my foster mother?

The strange part is, I didn't even feel a little tinge of anger, let alone upset with my mother. All I felt is a sense of touched. I'm not even sure myself about what I'm feeling right now. Should I be angry? Should I be upset? Should I be touched? I thought about it for a moment, stretching the silence wider. No, she must have a reason for not telling me about this. 

Putting myself in her shoes for a while, I thought that my foster mother has been going through a rough past by just thinking accurately using common sense. She knew that she would be thrown by whatever profanities if I discovered any of her past.

Although I'm not sure myself somehow it's good one or a bad one, I'm sure I wouldn't be a direspectful child and throws her a lot of rough and bad words as soon as I know whatever she's been hiding from me all this long.

Besides, who am I to intrude her past? I'm just a foster child. And at the end of the day, I couldn't shrug away the title and it will always be there. Like a gum stucked at the base of your shoes.

"I'm glad you told me," I responded after a long period of silence as I finally collected my positve thoughts to speak some words. "It's okay my mother, at least I know where is my actual place right now." I gave her a small smile before politely getting off my seat and made a beeline straight to my room, leaving my mother deep in her thoughts and the barely untouched jjajangmyeon on the dining

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter