During Midnight Movie Screenings

All Nighters

They go on many more dates after that and it becomes a habit of sorts for Wheein and Hyejin to join them for weekly date nights. Though, it eventually ends up with the two younger girls getting front-row tickets to Byulyi and Yongsun’s almost outrageously bad flirting attempts.

Tonight, they’re at a midnight screening for a marathon of old rom-com classics. They’ve been given the day off tomorrow, so what better way to spend the night before than to get lovey-dovey with the girl of her dreams?

Yongsun glances at Byulyi beside her snacking on a bucket of buttered popcorn with one hand, and her eyes drift down to the other resting on the armrest between them. She shifts slowly, silently, making sure it isn’t too fast and weird, like they haven’t already held hands before in bed, noses touching, legs tangled talking about future plans and their dreams together. Their hands almost touch when she hears heavy breathing behind them, and pulls back to see Wheein staring at them from between their seats, eyes wide and nostrils flaring.

“What are you doing? Keep going.” Wheein says to her like she isn’t one breath away from burying her nose in their hands and Yongsun fights the urge to facepalm. Byulyi looks at the younger girl, confused.

“Keep going what?”

“Oh for- we wanna see some action!” Hyejin sits up beside Wheein and hollers at them like a teenage boy and yup, Byulyi has turned red and can’t even look at her, kill me now. Wheein jabs at Hyejin, who grumbles and falls back into her seat.

“Don’t listen to her, you guys are doing great.” Wheein says like a mother to her children.

“I could put rocks next to each other and they’d be doing better than you two.” Hyejin says loudly- they both flinch - and Wheein elbows her in the ribs again. Hyejin grunts.  

“Can you say something supportive for once? They’re trying their best! We were like them once upon a time.” Wheein turns to look dreamily at a now-stiff Byulyi and Yongsun sitting in front of them. “Oh look, they’re blushing! How cute.”

“They’ve been blushing since we got here. What are they, NPCs? Can’t they do anything else?”

“Hi, still here? Right in front of you?” Yongsun grits out, not willing to turn around and give Hyejin the satisfaction of having enticed a stronger reaction from her.

“And yet, somehow nothing’s happened this entire night so far so I’m beginning to question this relationship, to be honest. Have you even seen each other’s s?”

She hears a strangled noise escape Byulyi’s throat next to her.

“Of course they have, their badonkadonks have been poppin’ lately. Clearly a result of loving touches and uh , probably.”

Yongsun doesn’t know which is worse. The word ‘badonkadonks’ or the fact that they’re explicitly talking about her and Byulyi’s intimate life like it’s a Sims 4 game. 

The lights begin to dim before any more can be said and Yongsun thanks the heavens for it as the two behind her settle down and the movie starts.

At least it’s a midnight screening. There aren’t many customers around and those that are there have long since moved far away from the rowdy bunch sitting in the middle of the theatre. Yongsun watches the movie, eyes on the screen but mind elsewhere, or more specifically, on the girl next to her and her hand that is still not held.

It’s strange how despite everything they’ve done together (of course they’ve seen each other’s s), it still makes her stomach turn to build up the confidence and make a move on Byulyi even though they are dating, which technically makes them girlfriends and that means Yongsun is technically allowed to hold her girlfriend’s hand in an almost empty movie theatre if she wants to.

And she does want to.

Still looking straight, she reaches over in a burst of courage and grips Byulyi’s hand like a lifeline. Yongsun vaguely registers a quiet gasp from behind them but ignores it in favour of Byulyi squeezing back as tight and intertwining their fingers. Warmth spreads through her entire body and she feels the smile blooming on her face when Byulyi gently brushes her thumb over her hand.

Yongsun focuses on the movie and feels at peace again, as she always does when they’re together.

“Look at that smooth . Are you taking notes?” Aaaaaaand it’s gone.

She glances over at Byulyi, who is desperately trying to hold on to some form of sanity as Hyejin leans over to grab a handful of popcorn and point at the screen.

“Shhh!” Byulyi hisses.

“Why are you shushing me? There’s literally no one here.” Hyejin scoffs. “Also, you better do something or your loser club membership will be revoked. Holding hands doesn’t count.”

“Since when was there a membership?!”

Hyejin looks at her watch in the darkness. “Since now.” She’s not even wearing a watch.

“And why do you get to decide?”

“Because I’ve decided that I can. Now shut up and watch the movie and... make out, maybe. If you want to. Whatever you’re comfortable with.”

Yongsun laughs. In her own, aggressively charming way, Hyejin just wants to see them happy.

So she reaches over, ignores the loud shriek of happiness behind them and presses a kiss to Byulyi’s lips.

--

A/N: i have no excuse. roughly edited