In the Dance Studio

All Nighters

It's 3AM on a Wednesday and Yongsun jolts awake in the company's dance studio, bleary and confused.

Where? When did I fall asleep?

She looks around groggily, the remnants of sleep still clinging onto her eyelashes. A yawn threatens to escape her and she shivers, but she manages to hold it in. Yongsun realises she's not alone and her gaze settles on the figure in the middle of the room.

Byulyi.

The younger girl is panting heavily. She leans forward to catch her breath. Soft music plays in the background as she stands straight and stumbles a bit, rolling her joints as she regains her balance and takes in deep breaths. Byulyi doesn't seem to notice Yongsun staring at her.

She goes into position once again. All Byulyi can see is herself in the mirror. She closes her eyes. The quiet hum of the air-conditioner, the dim light illuminating the room, the ache in her legs from hours of practice all but disappear completely into the background.

There is only her and the music.

Yongsun quietly watches through all this, wide awake now. Her eyes trace every powerful move Byulyi makes, every fluid transition, every drop of perspiration that glides down her face. Yongsun memorises the way she wipes them away, the way her eyes lock onto herself in the mirror, searching for imperfections, searching for the mistakes she's sure she's made and Yongsun almost opens to tell her that no, that was perfect, you've worked so hard, don't look at yourself that way.

But she doesn't. It would be a sin to make any sound in the presence of such raw passion.

Instead, Yongsun watches and learns and engulfs herself in the magic that is Moon Byulyi.