The Mission

Camp of Sharon Rose

Jeon Wonwoo

A strange mist spread in the whole camp. He was getting ready to go to the big house, seeking for explanation for the Oracle’s Prophecy, but his instinct telling him that there must be something’s wrong when he heard sounds of swords clashing and screaming from distance.

What’s going on?

He immediately unseated his weapon, a black obsidian scepter, that was always stay seated on his belt in case of something wrong happened. He knows that normally mist would came in the morning at the camp, but this mist was strange. It was very thick, too thick that he even couldn’t see anything around him.

He walks through a path that leads to the big house, his scepter was held tightly in his right hand. The surrounding turns into eerie silence, the only sound he could heard was just the sound of rustling leaf that he accidentally stepped while walking.

The mist’s going thicker as he walks deeper into the mist. He even couldn’t see the pathway the he walks to right now. A rustling sound could be heard from his left and right, something nearing. He’s slowing his pace, his body’s into a battle mode right now. A six years training makes him stay alerted when it came to a situation like this.

The rustling sound getting clearer, they come from every directions right now. He stopped and then lifting his scepter, danger’s coming. He knows that there are around five to six things that have been coming to him, in approximately five meters.

He focused building his power on his left hand, getting ready for a battle. The obsidian specter glowing faintly because of the power that has been transferred to it. “Please, help me.” He whispered.

The specter’s glowing brighter as the ground around Wonwoo’s shaking and cracked. The cracks were getting bigger and wider as the earth continues shaking, leaving some gaps in the land. From the gaps arise some skeleton hands, climbing to the surface.

In seconds, there were skeleton warriors standing on Wonwoo’s side, holding swords and shield. The skeletons were wearing old Korean War Armor, they are the ancient soldier, now under Wonwoo’s command, ready for any attack.

A loud cries came from his front, a creature running towards him, holding a big mace. Wonwoo couldn’t see the creature clearly at first, but as it getting nearer, he could see the creature’s big body and its bull head, a Minotaur.

Wonwoo’s commanding the skeletons to attack. In instance, the undeads were charging toward the monster; battling the bull headed creature. Sound of weapons clashing and The Minotaur’s cry could be heard through the air. Wonwoo stayed in his stance, getting ready for another attack because he knows that there’s still more on his side and his back.

Two Minotaurs charging toward him from his behind, nearly hit him with their maces, luckily, the he could dodge it in a slight second. He jumped to his right, lifted his scepter, calling the skeleton army again.

More undeads rising from the holes, charging to the creatures that had been attacking him with their might, keeping them busy. While the rest of Minotaurs charging toward him from his left and right.

He was being surrounded; his energy’s won’t enough to call another wave of skeleton army. If he’s forcing his energy, it could throw him into fatigue, and surely would die soon unable to fight back.

He’s reaching a sword from a fallen skeleton. The undead was smashed to pieces by the monsters, the bones were scattered on the ground. He holds the sword and charging to the remaining Minotaurs, attacking while dodging their attack. He’s slashing to their vital points, but the monsters’ body armor were too thick that the swords couldn’t even pierced it.

Soon they were losing in numbers, the five Minotaurs were now surrounded them, ready to attack in any second. Wonwoo’s slowly losing his hopes, he knows that he with the remaining skeleton army wouldn’t be enough to press the attack, but it would be no point of he’s going to die without any fought back, that’s not the way warriors should be thinking.

“ATTACK MY SOLDIERS!” He commanded to the skeletons to charge the monsters, he was attacking too right after them. Battling with all their might hoping that reinforcement would come soon.

Wonwoo was right, soon a bunch of Pegasus were flying above them, there are around seven Pegasus coming to his aids. They were wearing a full plate war armor, with swords and shields in their hands.

“Jihoon-ah!” Wonwoo shouted, he’s glad that his comrades were came right when he needs them.

Jihoon and the reinforcement team charged the Minotaurs from their Pegasii. They attacked skillfully with their swords. The sharp metals hits the monsters’ body and effectively hurt them. Wonwoo’s continue his charge too. In seconds the battlefield once again full with battle cries and weapons clashing.

They soon turned the situation, hit by hit were sent to the bull headed creatures, actively pushing their back to the lake. The first minotaur was turned into dust by one of Jihoon’s brother sword. The rest are following soon after until there is just one Minotaur left.

The creatures went full rampage, he’s swinging his giant mace to all directions in attempt to push his attacker. But Jihoon was faster, he skillfully swings his sword and slashing the creature’s head, sending it rolling lifeless on the ground. They won the battle.

Wonwoo fell on his knee exhausted, his energy were drained after he called so many skeleton armies. This the first time in his life he actually called a whole battalion of undeads.

“Could someone please explain what happened here?” he asked while catching his breath.

“The camp is under attack.” Jihoon answered in a stern voice.

Wonwoo’s looking up at the pink haired man who is now standing in front of him. “How? I mean, there’s no report of suspicious ship in our beaches. From where does these monsters came from?”

“I don’t know either, but now we must go into the forest. The whole camp is under a siege, monsters are everywhere, and it’s not safe to stay at an open place.”

Wonwoo nodded and standing up hardly. His energy was not recovered yet but he knows that Jihoon was right. If they stayed at this place longer the rest of the monsters army would be after them. The leader of Athena’s house helping him to climb to his Pegasii. After he was seated comfortably they flew upside, going higher and higher until they could see the sky again. But the scene on Wonwoo’s eyes was nothing he hoped to see.

The sky was turned dark, not the dark like night time but dark with storm clouds, the clouds were so thick that the sunlight can’t even seeps to the ground. The sight below them was not good either, the mist now covered the entire camp, from the line of the Mugunghwa Field to the houses area, it’s so thick that Wonwoo couldn’t even see the vast lake and the top of the houses clearly.

The prophecy was happening right now. The light to the world was gone.

******

Kim Mingyu

He and Seungcheol were now hiding under the roots of a giant tree, deep in the forest. After Seungcheol killed the gorgons, they were being chased by the gorgons that attacked the rest of Aphrodite’s children. Mingyu’s actually feeling relieved that his siblings were safe for now, at least.

They were crouching on the ground right new, hoping that the roots were effectively hid them. From afar they could still hear the hissings of the gorgons. They were losing in numbers right now, it would be hard to fought like around nine gorgons with just the two of them, especially when Mingyu’s cannot fought at all.

The rustling sounds coming nearer to them; hardly holding their breath, afraid of the gorgons to know their presence there. Sweats were pooled on their forehead, too afraid to look at the back of the tree.

“Seungcheol Hyung, is that you?” A boy’s voice could be heard from their back.

The two guys were immediately looked at the back of the giant tree. There stood a teenage boy, holding his sword on his hand, he smiled at them.

“For the God’s sake, you nearly give us a heart attack, Chan-ah.” Seungcheol relieved knowing that the boy was no other than the maknae. He goes to the boy, putting his hand on Chan’s chin, lifting and turning it left and right, inspecting any trace of injuries on the boy’s face.

“Oh, thanks God, you were not injured.” He patted Chan’s head and ruffling the boy’s short hair lightly. “What are you doing here, Chan? The Camp’s under attack, it’s not safe for you to wandering around alone.”

“It’s completely safe here, Hyung. We have evacuated all the campers into the forest, we have no choice because the training ground was under a siege. The children of Hecate have casting some spells to make an invisible barrier around the forest so monsters can’t go deeper. I’ve been sent to scout the area, making sure that the barriers were strong enough to keep the monsters away.” He answered lightly.

The two man could feel completely relieved right now. At least they know that all of their friends were safe. They dropped to the ground, feeling exhausted by the running earlier. Mingyu’s making another mental note to exercise his body more because being chased by monsters were surely cost him a strong stamina.

Chan look at Mingyu with a curious look. “So, who is this handsome Hyung?”

“He is Kim Mingyu, Child of Aphrodite. The one in the prophecy.” Seungcheol nudged at Mingyu’s shoulder.

“Wow! It’s nice to meet you, Hyung!” He lowered himself and look closely to Mingyu’s face with a excited smile. “I’m Lee Chan, Child of Hermes, and the Camp’s brightest Maknae.”

Mingyu smiled back at the maknae. “It was nice to meet you too, Chan.”

Chan is giving his hand, helped Mingyu and Seungcheol to get up. “Okay, I think we should go to the evacuation camp. It’s not too far from here.” The Maknae gesturing them to follow him. The both nodded and following the boy deeper into the forest.

The forest is vast area of giant trees that located around the camp. The trees were tightly grown that the sunlight couldn’t penetrate to the ground. It’s a home of the forest nymphs, the nature’s protector, who’s in charge of keeping the plants to grow.

They keep walking until they are now in an opening, on the center had been built emergency tents, which had been built for the evacuation. They steps closer to the tents. From there, Mingyu could see that all the campers were alright, although some were having minor injuries but they were getting a treatment from the Apollo’s Children.

“Mingyu, I should go first checking the campers, you should go to Aphrodite’s tent, I’m sure that your siblings were worried of you. And you Chan, you’d be better to go to your tent too” Seungcheol hurriedly saying good bye to them, going to fulfil his responsibility as the Camp Leader. Chan was going after him, giving a slight good bye to Mingyu then going to his camp.

Mingyu was now left alone, in the middle of the chaos. Campers were going here and there; he doubts that he could found his siblings easily. He wandered by himself around the camp, trying to find maybe one of his siblings until someone shouted his name from his back.

“Hey, Mingyu-ya!” Mingyu turned his face, it was Joshua. His face looks slightly bruised, but Mingyu thinks that he was okay because his expression looked so lively. The smaller man hugged him, patting his back lightly. “Oh thanks Aphrodite, you’re alright, we’ve been so worried about you. After Seungcheol came, the gorgons were stop attacking us and chase you both. I was afraid that you two have been petrified.”

Mingyu doesn’t know what to say. He’s nothing but feels so bad toward Joshua because he makes the man in so much worry. “I’m so sorry, Joshua.”

“No, it’s not necessary, you’re still alive anyway.” Joshua patted his younger brother’s head lovingly. “Now, let’s go to the main tent, Eric’s want to meet you.”

Eric want’s to meet him? Mingyu isn’t really thinks that it would be a good situation for him. He followed his brother to a big tent located in the middle of the smaller tents. It’s been guarded by some Demi-Gods at the entrance. They were let going inside as Joshua told them that Eric want to see them.

The inside of the tent was so comfy yet so simple, remembering it was an emergency tent. In the center was a big meeting desk, on the farthest side sits Eric. The side seats were occupied by some campers, some of them are Seungcheol, Jihoon, Wonwoo, and Seokmin, they were all the House Leader.

Joshua sits on one of the empty seats on the right side, and gesturing Mingyu to sits on an empty seat beside him. Mingyu obeyed his brother and seated.

“Okay, now all the House Leaders were here. Let’s start the urgent meeting.” Eric opened the meeting. He looks so serious, even more serious than when Mingyu see him last night at the big house.

“Okay, as we know that our camp has been attacked, by an army of monsters.” He added. “Fortunately, the number of the monsters that have been attacked our camp were small, we could easily get rid of them. But..”

Eric sighed before he continued his words. “A more surprising sight could be seen at the sky.” He looked at every of them with a stern looks; “The light were gone, it is literally gone. Dark clouds were gathered above the entire Korea.”

He picked a television remote from the table and clicking the power button. A big flat television on the other end was . On the screen shows a national news broadcast, it reported that a big storm clouds suddenly gathered on all places in Korea, containing huge thunderstorm that actually could wreck an entire nation.

“The prophecy was really happening.” Wonwoo mumbled in a deep voice, wave of seriousness could be felt from his words.

Now all the eyes in the room were turned to Mingyu’s direction. Mingyu himself doesn’t really know what to say, since he’s just the new kid in the camp. He just looks at the table surface, while he could feel the stares were still thrown at him.

“So, we’re not blaming anyone for this incident. But, we need to take a further action if the prophecy was starting.” Eric explained.

“But, Sir. What kind of actions should we do?” Seungcheol asked to the counselor.

Before Eric could answer the question, a ray of pink light shines to the entire room. It’s so blinding that everyone’s closing their eyes tightly. After the light faded, in front of the TV stood a Goddess, with her pink gown and silver hair, Aphrodite.

Everyone are now kneeling in front of her, except for Eric.

“You can stand up, Dear Warriors.” The goddess said with a serious tone. She looked at Joshua and Mingyu, she smiled at them. “Hello, Children.”

“It’s a rare sight to see a Goddess put her feet on the camp ground.”  Eric said coldly. “What makes you come here, Dear Goddess?”

“Stop with the playing, Eric. It’s an emergency situation we have here.” She answered with a cold tone too. She’s strolling along the table side, walking to Mingyu and Joshua’s place. “The prophecy has started, we, the Olympians need your helps, Dear our children.”

The room turned into a complete silent. No one dare to make a sound, especially when a Goddess was here with them.

“The first line of the prophecy had happened.” She continues.

Mingyu stiffens, trying to recall the first line of the Oracle’s prophecy. It was about sacred things that banished.

“We the Olympians, has a sacred items as our source of power. Last night, someone was breaking in on stole our sacred items. We couldn’t know how,  but if we’re not getting our source of power back, bad things could happen.” She continues. “We would be banished.”

“But, mom. How should we help you? We’re just Demi-Gods, the Olympians were more powerful than us.” Joshua spoke to Aphrodite calmly, trying to hide his nervousness. “And we know, if someone’s actually stole the sacred things that belong to Olympians, the thief must be so powerful that he or she could trick the Gods.”

Aphrodite’s smiles at him, she caress her oldest son’s hair softly. “Oh Dear, My Joshua. You always had been the smartest one. But you must know that when a prophecy told us to do something, it must be done with the prophecy as the absolute guideline.” She then looked at Mingyu; “Dear, my youngest son, could you recite the second verse of the prophecy?”

“T-The last love and the only death should become one, mom.” Mingyu do as he ordered to.

“M-Mom, by the mean of The las love... I-It can’t be Mingyu right? He can’t be sent to a hard mission like this mom, it won’t be safe.” Joshua sounds so concerned right now, he stares at his youngest brother, feel pity of him.

“Sadly, it’s yes, Son.” She’s now caressing her two sons’ hair lovingly. “But, the prophecy’s told so, the last love in the prophecy refers to my Youngest son, Mingyu.”

Gasps could be heard throughout the room. Now everyone’s busy talking to each other, speculating things that could be happened prior to the prophecy.

“Goddess.” A blonde guy on the left side of the table raised his hands. “I am Kwon Soonyoung, Child of Ares. I’m really sorry for my rudeness, but could it be the Death in the prophecy actually refers to..”

“It refers to me.” Wonwoo claimed. “Goddess, I am, Jeon Wonwoo, the only child in Hades’ House.”

Wonwoo stood up from his seat. “I am sure that the prophecy was referring to me, as I am the only Child of Hades. So I will go with Mingyu, carrying this mission and fulfills the prophecy.”

Wonwoo’s word earning concerned gaze from the other House Leader. The Goddess herself is now smiling with a satisfied look on her place.

“I’ll go with them!” Seungcheol stood from his seat too, earning a stern look from Wonwoo. “I’m sorry, Goddess, but I am willingly to accompany them to the mission as their guardian.”

“Me too, Goddess!” Seokmin raise his hand. “I am willingly to accompany my cousin in this mission. Besides, Seungcheol Hyung and I were the best at combat; it would make the mission less hard for them.”

“Me too!” Jihoon raised his hand too, but before he could continue his word Seungcheol’s cut him.

“No, Jihoon-ah. If we both go, who will be in charge as the leader and protect the camp? We need you here.” Seungcheol explained. Jihoon put down his hand and look sadly at the Camp Leader.

Aphrodite’s now walking back to the front of the TV, right across the Camp Counselor. She looked at him intensely, “I think it has been decided, the mission would be carried by my Son, Kim Mingyu, and Jeon Wonwoo. Also coming with them, The child of Apollo and the Child of Poseidon, Choi Seungcheol and Lee Seokmin, right Counselor?”

*************

Hello! I'm updating again!!! The longest chapter so far (3200 words) 

Hope you enjoyed this chapter!!!

- Best regards, Reybil16