Beautiful Stranger

My Prince

Bomi kept staring at me, trying to gauge my reaction, while I had no idea how to do so.

So Myungsoo had a girlfriend before. I’m okay with that.

So Myungsoo’s ex-girlfriend has the same name as me. I’m not sure if I’m okay with that.

Does this mean that he’s only showing interest in me because I have the same name as his ex? Does that mean he’s not over her yet? Is that why his guitar has that name even though we had known each other for only a day?

I’m so confused.

I hadn’t realized I’d just been blankly staring at her until she started shaking my by the shoulders.

“Earth to Naeun! Hello? You there?”

I shook my head, getting out of my daze before looking back at her. I wasn’t sure what to say, so I said what anyone would say in a situation like that.

“Uh… what.”

Bomi smacked her own forehead in frustration.

“Yah. Naeun. We have to get this cleared up okay? I don’t want you guys to start a relationship if it’s already like this.”

“Like what?”

“You know, him having an ex with the same name, you already being bothered by it, that kind of stuff. I’m going to call Yookyung.”

That’s right! Yookyung is Myungsoo’s cousin! She’d know!

Bomi grabbed her cellphone and quickly dialed Yookyung. When she picked up, we put it on speaker.

“Yookyung?”

“Hey guys! I’m with Sungyeol oppa right now. What’s up?”

Bomi quickly got her creepy face on before chuckling into the phone.

“Oh ho ho ho there. Why are you with Sungyeol oppa, huh?”

“I-I-It’s not like that!”

Bomi and I laughed at her stuttering.

“It’s alright Yookyung! You guys can date if you want to!” We shouted that last part just to make sure that Sungyeol oppa could hear us. We laughed when we heard awkward stuttering on the other side of the line.

“A-A-Anyway, why did you guys call?”

Bomi quickly mouthed to me that we had to keep it a secret that we found out about Myungsoo’s ex through Dongwoo.

“Well, we were just wondering about Myungsoo oppa’s history. You know, history with girls?”

“Hm…”

Bomi and I waited in anticipation as Yookyung didn’t say anything. When she finally did reply, it wasn’t what we were hoping for.

“Sorry girls, I don’t know anything about his love life. He tends to keep that part well hidden from me. Makes sense, since I’m his girl cousin. It probably would’ve made things weird.”

“Thanks Yookyung. We’ll talk to you later…”

After we hung up, we just sat on the couch debating what to do. Should we do some stalking, follow him around and find out who he meets with and whatever? Find out about his family?

Ridiculous.

Just then, I got another call. Worried that it’d be Myungsoo oppa, I tried to just let it ring a while longer and hope that the caller would maybe resort to texting. When the ringing wouldn’t stop, I gave in and looked at the caller ID and sighed in relief.

“Hey Eunji!”

“Yah! You idiot! It’s your shift! Where are you?”

“Shoot! I totally forgot! I’ll be right there!”

I hung up and bid Bomi a quick goodbye while running out the door. She yelled that I need to keep writing lyrics for the song. No one is going to let me forget, huh?

I quickly ran to the nearest bus stop, using my phone to find the bus route back to the café. When it finally came, I jumped on, willing it to move faster.

--

I finally made it to the café, running short of breath after sprinting all the way from the bus stop.

Eunji mock glared at me before handing me my uniform. I ran to the back to change before coming back and found a handsome boy talking to Eunji. He was very well built with a smile that lit up the room.

“Hoya oppa!”

I smiled as he looked up from Eunji to see me waving at him.

“Hey Naeun! I was just talking to Eunji about the talent show!”

I laughed, knowing about their mutual feelings towards each other, even if they weren’t willing to admit it themselves.

“Eunji, go on ahead. I’ll take over now. You can go talk to Hoya oppa a bit more.”

Eunji blushed before taking off her apron and walking with him to one of the tables near the window.

I had barely begun my shift but it was evident that it would be a slow day. I watched the clock tick until I couldn’t take it anymore. Shifting my eyes, I watched the weather outside change from cloudy to snowy. I scoffed at the bipolar weather before making myself some tea. Who says I can’t have some tea when there aren’t any customers?

Sipping my tea, I watched as people walked by the café, some occasionally stopping to look inside before continuing on their way. I’d get a customer now and then but it wasn’t as busy as I had hoped.

I let my eyes wander around the café, looking at all of the lovey-dovey couples sitting together, drinking hot drinks on a cold wintery day, it made me slightly jealous.

I want a boyfriend. I want someone to drink coffee with. I want someone to be there for me. I want…

Just then, the door opened with a ding from the bell overhead.

I looked up to see who had entered.

My eyes opened wider then I had thought possible.

“… Myungsoo?”