Man in Love

My Prince

I was confused. Why on Earth did he call me? We just had our first conversation a couple of hours ago? Did he miss me that much? Ew. I just mentally threw up.

“Oppa? What’s up?”

“Are you busy? I have something to talk to you about.”

Stunned, I didn’t respond. Normally, I probably would’ve freaked out, maybe even yelling into the phone thinking maybe he was asking me to go on a date, but I just stood still.

“Naeun? You still there? I can hear your breathing.”

Talk about awkward. I made a mental note to myself to quiet my breathing if I was ever going to not respond to someone over the phone.

Instead, I reached over the counter to grab a cookie I had been longing for and quickly stuffed it into my mouth.

Hey, the guy is cute, but I’m starting to think he’s being slightly creepy. He named his freaking guitar after me.

With my mouth full, I grabbed started talking into the phone.

“Sorry oppa, I’m busy.”

“What? Naeun? I can’t understand you. Are you okay?”

“I’m fine! I have to go. I’m baking and there are cookies in the oven!”

I felt bad lying to him about the fake cookies, but I had to avoid him, at least for a while. I hate when a guy gets too close to me right after we meet. It makes me uncomfortable.

After a bit of a pause, I heard shuffling in the background and turned around to see Bomi looking at me with a puzzled expression.

Who’s that? She mouthed at me, making a phone gesture with her hand.

Myungsoo oppa. I mouthed back after swallowing the rest of my cookie.

Bomi just looked at me and went back to her cupboard. I watched as she grabbed some cups and then went to the refrigerator for some peaches, pears, and ice. She put everything on the counter and started removing the cores from the peaches.

She never says it out loud, but I noticed that every time she’s troubled, she makes a peach and pear smoothie.

Startled, I quickly mumbled a bye into my cellphone and ended the call without making sure if Myungsoo was still talking.

I walked over to where she was standing and just looked on as she chopped up her peaches. Quietly, I grabbed a pear on the cutting board and started slice it.

Bomi glanced over at my handiwork and quietly put her knife down. Heaving a sigh, she washed her hands in the sink before making her way to the couch. Once she sat down, she patted the spot next to her, indicating I should sit down too.

Once I had dried off my hands, I made myself comfortable next to her.

Bomi didn’t look at me, and I was starting to get worried so I tapped her on the shoulder, trying to get her attention.

“Are you okay? Is something bothering you?”

With no response, I was really getting anxious. I started to think back to what else happened today that could’ve made her like this. She seemed fine until she got that phone call from Dongwoo oppa…

“Bomi… Could it be… You and Dongwoo oppa broke up?”

That got a response out of her.

“Yah! Son Naeun! We aren’t even going out! We’re like, somewhere in between…”

I smirked as I softly punched her in the arm.

“Yeah but you guys are well on your way.”

She grinned, but the second it was there it disappeared. Disappointed, I frowned at her.

“Seriously though. What’s wrong? If it’s not you two lovebirds, then what is it about?”

Bomi slowly raised her head to look me in the eye, and I was shocked to see how serious she looked. Bomi was never one to be too serious, so it was slightly startling to see her like this.

“I have to tell you something. You might not like it though.”

“How do you know? I might accept it with open arms.”

I laughed but she didn’t, so I decided to be quiet and let her talk.

“Well, I don’t know how to put this. So you know that guy you met? Myungsoo? Yookyung’s cousin?”

“Yeah, what about him?” I wasn’t really liking where this was going, but I let her continue.

I wish I hadn’t.

“Dongwoo oppa befriended him you know, upon Yookyung’s request because they’re the same age and everything. Apparently, the guys had a sleepover or whatever and did whatever normal teenage guys do at sleepovers.”

“Like what, water gun fights?” When I got a glare telling me now wasn’t the right time to be cracking jokes, I put my head down.

“Anyway, they started talking, like how girls gossip at sleepovers. They promised that they wouldn’t say anything outside of the sleepover, but oppa thought this was important.”

Taking this all in, I watched as she took a deep breath in order to continue with her story.

“Myungsoo oppa talked about his past, present, etc., but he also said something that made the guys worried.”

I held my breath.

“Naeun-ah, Myungsoo oppa had a girlfriend.”

I exhaled and laughed.

“That’s it? That’s the big news? It’s not that big of a deal! Having relationships is normal!”

“That’s not the problem.”

I watched as her face became sterner.

“Her name was Naeun.”