Heartbeat

My Prince

            Sitting on the edge of my bed, I stared at the number on my phone screen. For the past half hour, I had been debating whether or not to call Kim Myungsoo. Of course, if a guy gave you his number, he expects you to call him, right? As I placed my thumb on the green call button, I heard a shriek resonate throughout the house. Sighing as I placed my phone in my back pocket, I trudged downstairs to the source of the noise.

            “SON NAEUN!” Flinching, I looked at my stepsister, Go Woori. With her wavy brown hair (from a perm, of course), large eyes, and golden ratio body, she looked like she came straight out of a magazine. Although she’s gorgeous on the outside, she was absolutely hideous inside.

            “Yes, ma’am?” I responded with a hint of sarcasm. I honestly couldn’t stand her. She literally thought she was king, or, more appropriately, queen of the world. It was disgusting.

            “I COULD’VE SWORN I SAW A RAT RUNNING THROUGH MY ROOM! THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT! IF I DIE, MOTHER WILL SUE YOU!” I rolled my eyes. There she goes again, over exaggerating everything.

            “Woori-ah, I honestly doubt you’ll die from a rat running through your room. And of – “ In the corner of the room, I saw movement behind the large lamp. Inching towards the dark area, I slowly reached towards the cord and the lamp . There on the ground was the most adorable mouse I had ever seen in my life. Crouching down low, I slowly started its smooth gray fur.

            “EW NAEUN THAT’S DISGUSTING. GET RID OF THAT THING RIGHT NOW.” She emphasized her point with an impatient stomp of her foot. Smiling softly at the small creature, I slowly picked it up and walked back upstairs, but not without sticking my tongue out at Woori. She responded with a frustrated scream.

            When I finally got up to my room, I found a small shoebox and put the small creature in it. Deciding it was a male by, you know what, I figured I had better name him. Sitting down on my bed again, I stared at him until I thought I heard a small voice. Jumping up from my spot, I looked around my room. Was I hearing ghosts? Trying to locate the source of the sound, I realized that it was emanating from my back pocket. When I had sat down on my bed, I had -dialed Myungsoo!

            I almost dropped my phone in shock. I heard his voice say, “Hello? Is anyone there? Hello? Alright… I guess I’ll hang up then…” Before he could, I put the phone up to my ear and answered.

“Hey, Myungsoo, it’s Naeun. Sorry, that was a buttdial.”

            “Oh no that’s fine. I was actually wondering when you’d call me.” I could literally hear his smile and a blush started making its way up to my cheeks. Who knew that just his voice would make my heart speed up so much that it felt like it would jump right out of my chest?

            “Well, I guess I have good timing.” Wow. I sound like Woori. “Hey Myungsoo, will you help me? I found a mouse and I’m trying to come up with a name for him. Do you have any ideas?” I heard a pause on the other end and was afraid I had scared him away. Gosh darnit Naeun! Why do you always screw it up when it comes to boys? Right as I was about to hang up, I heard movement on the other end.

            “Sorry about that. My mom was asking for some help putting up a painting. Hm, could you describe its characteristics?”

            “Well, it has gray fur and the most adorable brown eyes I have ever seen.”

            “Even more adorable than mine?” I could tell he was joking but that didn’t stop my jaw from dropping. “Just kidding! I don’t know. I’ve never had a pet before. I’ve only named my guitar. Weird, right?”

            Although the idea of naming an instrument did seem absurd to me, I could help but a crack a smile. “It’s totally fine! What did you name it?” I was just imagining the most preposterous names my brain could possibly come up with when I heard another shift over the phone.

            “Her name is…” I held my breath in anticipation. “… Naeun.”


Well that was ridiculously short. So sorry for the long wait! Thank you all for being so patient with me! School's just been a major pain in the and I've had a sever case writer's block. I'll try to update soon!

PS. Anyone else an EXOTIC? I adore them! I might have to start a fanfic soon! Haha (: