Here We Go

My Prince

“Naeun-ah!” My stepmother called from upstairs and I sighed in resignation. Every day at 6 AM without fail, my stepmother would call for me and demand for her breakfast of low-fat yogurt, eggs sunny side up, and her cup of soy milk. And every morning, without fail, I’d wake to her screaming, prepare her breakfast, and walk up the stairs to the dragon’s den. Now some may wonder how I ended up with the dragon lady, so I’ll tell you.

When I was only five years old, my mother passed away. My father was absolutely devastated. He wore black for years, and when I was  ten, my father met my stepmother. Even at that young age, I could tell that she wasn’t right for him. She just seemed so fake and with time, my instincts proved to be correct. Although she and her two daughters acted like angels in front of my father, they treated me like trash. They made me take out the garbage, wash the dishes, clean the bathroom, sweep the house, dust out the fireplace, and other chores they claimed were too low class for high up people like them to do. The only time I actually felt safe and comforted was when my father came home from work.

However, just last year, my father died from pneumonia. After he left, I was all alone. Every day, I’d wake up, serve the dragon lady, go to school, come back, do homework/serve the dragon lady, and finally, go to bed. The only reason I actually put up with this is because of my six best friends.

These girls listen to my problems so they know about my situation at home. They told me to let them handle it and I decided to let them. I’ve learned that if they set their minds to something, they won’t let anything get in their way. It’s freaky. Anyways, after thinking about it for a while, they suggested I get a job or two. I could make money and when  it’s finally accumulated, I could move out. Being the amazing person she is, Chorong happened to know of a job opening at her grandmother’s pet shop. She knew I was good with pets so she had already talked to her grandmother about me. When I had finally met with said grandmother, Chorong spoke so highly of me I was blushing. Her grandmother took one look at me and exclaimed, “she’s hired!” She claims it was her intuition that she decided so quickly and she had a good feeling about me, but I was nervous nonetheless. My other good friend, Namjoo, knew of my uncertainty and volunteered to help, not accepting any pay.

All of my friends were of very prestigious families and were widely known all over the South Korean peninsula. Park Chorong, for example, was the daughter and heiress to the Park Corporation. Kim Namjoo was also the heiress to the Kim Corporation and the list continues for each of my friends. I have to admit, I felt a little left out when I found out, but my friends said that it didn’t matter what my background was, and I was grateful for that.

After I was hired by Chorong’s grandmother, I found out that the pet shop only opens on the weekdays so that meant I had to find another job for the weekends. That’s where Jung Eunji comes in. Eunji’s aunt ran the Pink Panda Café close to our high school and told me there was a job opening on the weekend. All I had to do was manage the cash register. Plus, Eunji said she’d join me during my shifts so I wouldn’t be too lonely. And this, was the spark of hope in my dim life.


Sorry, my first chapters always . it'll get better from here on, I promise. Comments please!