Study Buddies

Next Stop, Marriage

🎀 - - - 🎀 - - - 🎀

Final exams week started for Haneul and she spent most of her time either studying in her room or at the library with some friends. Right now, she was on the verge of pulling her own hair out in frustration because she could not wrap her head around the concepts and theories for her sociology course.

She pushed her chair back and turned her eyes away from the notes in front of her to give herself a small break.

Haneul had woken up early this morning to study because she had no other classes. She looked out the window and saw a few students walk around the garden and some were sitting outside on the benches with their textbooks out.

Just then, her phone began ringing. Usually, she had her phone on silent but since she wasn’t zoned into her notes, she finally saw the screen light up. She reached over to pick it up.

“Hey, how’s studying?” Came a voice from the other line. Haneul simply groaned and the person on the other side laughed at her response.

“Do you want to come over to my dorm to study? My roommate went back home already.”

Haneul looked at the time and contemplated the offer. If she were to stay home, not much new information would go into her head as she was already feeling the mental block. But if she were to head out, it might be good to get some fresh air so she can start fresh on her studying again.

“Yeah, sure. I’ll be over in a few minutes.”

“Alright, cool. See you.”

Haneul gathered up her pencils and books into her backpack. She walked towards her closet to throw on a cardigan so she wasn’t just wearing a tank top and shorts. Taking a quick look around her desk to make sure she didn’t leave anything behind, she left the dorm and headed down to the other residence building.

🎀 - - - 🎀 - - - 🎀

Jungkook winced when he felt his fingers cramp up again in the middle of his piano practice. He had been practicing the same five pieces for his piano exam for the past three hours and at this point, his physical ability was reaching its limit.

He took the pages of the songs and put them back into his music folder and lay his head against the piano for a few seconds.

As a music student, he many exams to prepare for on top of the electives he had selected. For music, he had an exam with his primary instrument which was the piano. He also had another exam with a secondary instrument. He had a vocals exam, a dance exam and another musical theory exam to worry about. And that was just his music-related exams.

He still had no real idea of which musical direction he wanted to head down so he decided to take all the musical courses to get a bit of everything learned.

He dozed off for a few minutes before he jolted awake and looked at the time. It was nearing midnight and he had planned to wake up early tomorrow to study his other courses. With great effort, he got up from the piano bench and gathered his stuff to leave the practice room.

He passed by the many other practice rooms in the music building and he could hear the faint sounds of different instruments through the somewhat-soundproof walls.

Once he got back to his dorm, he noticed Mingyu was probably already asleep as his bedroom door was closed and the lights were entirely shut off. That reminded him he had a study session in the morning with Mingyu, Yugyeom and Bambam for some musical theory.

He walked into the kitchen to grab a cup of fruit juice before returning back to his own room.

He placed his folder back onto his desk and reached for his phone that he had left behind so he would not get distracted while practicing. He flopped onto his bed and brought the phone up to his face to turn it on. His face brightened when he saw that he had a new text.

Don’t study so hard, okay? Take small breaks and snacks :) miss you

🎀 - - - 🎀 - - - 🎀


Haneul knocked on the door and waited for the person inside to open up. She heard footsteps from the other side and a few seconds later, the door swung open.

“Hey,” Jaehyun smiled as he stepped out of the way for her to come in.

Jung Jaehyun was one of the few guys she actually managed to talk to for an entire year.

She first met him when they both took their first psychology course together and when they were put into a group to do a social experiment together for their sociology course. Since then, they had remained in contact because many of their mandatory courses were the same because they were in the same program.

Jaehyun was a really outgoing and funny guy. Whenever they were in study groups, he would make everyone laugh. He had a kind personality and she had never actually seen him angry or sad before. He was just a positive magnet every single day and she was amazed by that. If anyone needed help with anything, he would be the first one they asked because he never turned down offers.

She also found out that he had a really beautiful singing voice. She had overheard him one day when she came to his dorm to drop some notes off and he was recording. He said he was doing it for fun and that he would never really get into music but she begged to differ. He had the looks and the voice to match.

Jaehyun was very easy to talk to and it was nice studying with him because their personalities were similar in the sense that once they started studying, they were focused for a good amount of time before they got distracted. It was nice to have a study partner with the same habits as you.

“Your roommate left?” Haneul asked as she saw the empty bedroom when they passed by it to the living room. Jaehyun nodded as he sat down on the couch.

“Yeah, Doyoung left last night. Although I’ll see him again in another week because our parents still live beside each other.”

Kim Doyoung was Jaehyun’s roommate. They were both first years but Doyoung had taken a year off high school so he was still one year older than Jaehyun was. The two of them were childhood best friends and it was a miracle they enrolled at the same time. Although they were in different programs, they put each other’s names down when filling out their residence form so that they could room together.

Haneul chuckled as she sat on the armchair parallel to him. “It must be nice to room with your best friend.” Jaehyun raised an eyebrow and in a teasing tone, he answered, “I could say the same for you.” She smiled as a response.

The two of them fell into silence as they studied their own notes for a good hour and more until Jaehyun got up from his seat and stretched. Haneul looked up from her notes to see what he was doing.

“It’s lunch time and I’m starving,” Jaehyun sighed as he rubbed his stomach. He looked at Haneul. “Do you want to go out for a quick lunch and then resume our super productive studying?” She looked down at her notes and then back up at him.

“Sure,” She replied. Jaehyun grinned and held out a thumbs up. “Awesome! I’ll go grab my wallet and throw on a sweater. Give me a second.”

Haneul nodded and watched him disappear into his room. She took her phone out from her backpack and checked her notifications. She smiled when she saw a new message from Jungkook.

Bambam is a really weird guy. Did I ever tell you that? Yugyeom and him remind me of jimin and tae LOL they bicker so much ._.

Yeah? Im glad you made friends with people even with your scary lookin face :’)

“Okay, I’m ready to get some food into my stomach,” Jaehyun announced as he stood in the living room, fixing his hair. Haneul put her phone back into her pocket and got up.

“Texting your boyfriend?” Jaehyun wiggled his eyebrows when he noticed her bright expression. Haneul nudged him on the shoulder as they walked to the door and he laughed.

“Okay, okay. I’m sorry.”

🎀 - - - 🎀 - - - 🎀

“Yo, can you help me with this? I don’t understand,” BamBam said as he pulled the page out of his binder and put it in front of Mingyu. The boy looked over the sheet before writing a few notes on it and sending it back to the owner. BamBam grinned after reading it and held out a thumbs up.

Jungkook looked up from his notes and set his pencil down to stretch. He looked around the library and his eyes roamed over all the other students who were quiet and busy reading over their own books. He looked back down at his notes after his very short break and began his studying again.

“Ugh, I hate exams,” Yugyeom groaned. The other three boys looked at him. Mingyu chuckled, “Who doesn’t?”

“I can’t imagine how some people have more than four exams each semester.” BamBam blinked. Mingyu raised an eyebrow and pointed to Jungkook.

“He’s got music exams and some calculus exam because he thought it’d be fun to take statistics.”

BamBam and Yugyeom looked at Jungkook with rounded eyes. Yugyeom let out a low whistle. “I respect you, man.”

“Wait, are all of you going back to Korea for the summer?” BamBam asked suddenly. The three of them nodded and his expression dropped. “So I’m the only one going back to Thailand? Alone?” Yugyeom rolled his eyes.

“Yeah, because our family is in South Korea and not Thailand, what’d you expect?”

“And those two want to go back and see their girlfriends.” Yugyeom wiggled his eyebrows. Mingyu and Jungkook grinned but said nothing in response.

“Are your girlfriends like super model hot?” BamBam asked. Jungkook looked up with a raised eyebrow and Mingyu stopped writing.

“What?” They both laughed. Yugyeom sighed and knocked BamBam’s head before replying for him.

“I think what he means is if they are pretty or not.”

Mingyu and Jungkook looked at each other before giving a shrug of their shoulders.

“Yeah,” they chorused.

BamBam pouted and let out a long sigh. “I wish I had a girlfriend.”

“Nobody likes you.” Yugyeom added.

Mingyu in some air through his teeth and laughed. “Ouch, what a savage.”

“How did you guys meet?” BamBam asked again. Yugyeom slapped a hand to his face and ignored him as he continued to study.

“This is going to be a long study session, right?” Jungkook laughed.

“Hey, I can’t help but be curious okay. You two are pretty enough to be idols so of course I’d want to get advice from the best,” BamBam explained.

Jungkook blinked. “Did you just call us pretty?”

BamBam nodded with oblivious eyes. Yugyeom sighed. “This is why he needs to take a Korean course.”

🎀 - - - 🎀 - - - 🎀

Haneul looked up as she took another sip of her smoothie and attempted to stifle her giggles. Jaehyun had gone up to get his order but the girl serving his food started hitting on him. At first, it seemed as though he didn’t pick up on the hint so he replied good-naturedly. After a few more exchanges though, Haneu could tell how uncomfortable he was getting.

She blinked when she saw him point towards her and the girl behind the counter shot her a scowl. Jaehyun quickly grabbed his tray and sat down at the table with her before the girl could say anything else.

“What did you say to her?” Haneul asked. Jaehyun looked back quickly to see if the girl was still there before turning back to Haneul. He grinned and let out a very slow, and awkward laugh.

“I told her that my girlfriend was sitting at this table waiting for me?”

Haneul’s jaw dropped. “You can’t just use me as cover!”

“Sorry, sorry. I’ll pay for your lunch next time, okay? That girl might start some voodoo black magic against you now.” Haneul rolled her eyes. “Great. I’m going to wake up with a bloody nose or parts of my hair will be gone.”

Jaehyun laughed. “I’ll pay for the medical costs later, okay?” He was about to bite into his sandwich when his phone began to ring. He looked down and he immediately grinned. Haneul raised an amused eyebrow.

“The special lady?”

He nodded and sent her a quick apologetic look before answering the call and stepping out of the cafe. Haneul smiled and looked down at her phone to check. Her smile grew wider when she saw that Jungkook had sent her a few texts.

Bambam just called me pretty. Should I feel happy or sad...

I actually feel very upset ._.

I’m trying to be manly not pretty.

Am I pretty, Haneul?

She bit her lip to stop herself from laughing and typed in a reply just as Jaehyun came back in through the front door.

Yes, you’re a very pretty girl, Kookie.

🎀 - - - 🎀 - - - 🎀 - - - 🎀 - - - 🎀

Author's note: Sorry for the wait, guys but the chapter is finally up! Do you think Jungkook is super pretty? I do, LOL.

Okay so as some of you may have already heard, the guy Jungkook is based off of- we're no longer together. It's been a crazy emotional ride for me these past two weeks so it was difficult to even get a chapter out of Haneul and Jungkook all lovey dovey so please understand!

Nonetheless, thank you for your sweet comments! <3 They make me smile and they've helped me out A LOT through this so thank you :D