Making It Work

Next Stop, Marriage

🎀 - - - 🎀 - - - 🎀

 

“Did you already buy your plane ticket?”

Jungkook nodded as he reached over his desk to grab the ticket and showed Haneul through the webcam. He poked his head out from behind the ticket and grinned.

“Aren’t you excited to see me again?”

Haneul stuck out her tongue. “Why ask me when you already know the answer?” Jungkook shrugged as he placed the ticket back down. “Because it’s cute when you’re flustered.”

“When are your finals?” She asked. Jungkook looked up at his calendar hanging on the wall. “In two more weeks. Yours are next week, right?”

She nodded. “How prepared are you for your exams?” Jungkook raised an eyebrow. “Really? You’re asking me that? More like I should be asking you if you even started studying yet.”

Haneul pressed her lips into a line and stared at her boyfriend through the screen. “Excuse you, not everyone can ace an exam with only a week of studying like you, okay?”

He laughed. “I’m kidding.”

Haneul tilted her head. “Two more weeks- that means you’ll be back within a month.” He smiled and nodded back. “Yup. One more month before I can see you in person again.”

Haneul smiled. “I can’t wait.”

“How’s your job placement at the local daycare going? Are the kids behaving?” Jungkook suddenly remembered.

“Of course. They’re so adorable. I’m just glad I get to work with kids all day.”

Jungkook scoffed. “Great, now those little kids have all your attention.” Haneul chuckled. “True. Just like how Junghwa steals my heart everytime I see her.”

He gasped. “How could you say that?” Haneul laughed out loud. “Calm down, pretty boy.”

He frowned. “Honestly, I feel like you only went over to my place to see if my sister was there.” Haneul bobbed her shoulders up and down.

“Quite possibly.”

They continued their video call for a few more minutes until Jungkook noticed how frequently Haneul was yawning. He checked the time and his eyes widened.

“Go sleep, I’ll send you a text in the morning.”

Haneul nodded as she shifted herself so that she was lying on the pillow and held the camera up above her face.

“Good morning to you,” She chuckled. Jungkook smiled at her voice, which was mixed with sleepiness, and hovered his finger over the red button.

“Goodnight, Haneul.”

 

🎀 - - - 🎀 - - - 🎀


Haneul leaned against the wall as she watched one of the little boys run up to another boy who was playing in the sandbox alone. The boy held out his toy truck to the other boy and smiled.

“Do you want to play with me?”

The other boy blinked up at him before holding up his own toy car and shifting over to make more room in the sandbox.

It was moments like this that made her day brighter and better. The little kids at this age were still innocent and adorable to her, which was why she really enjoyed her job.

Haneul smiled and turned her attention back to the other children on the playground. She watched as the little kids ran around chasing each other while some of them took turns patiently waiting to go on the slide.

She had just taken a step forward when she heard someone wailing from behind. She turned around and her eyes widened when she saw a little girl on the ground with tears in her eyes. Haneul ran over and bent down.

“Did you fall and hit your knee?” She asked, as she pushed the girl’s hair back to see her face. She ducked down to inspect the wound. The little girl nodded and sniffled up at her. Haneul lifted the girl up into her arms.

“Well then, let’s go fix you up, okay?”

The little girl nodded up at her and wrapped her tiny arms around Haneul’s neck.

The other two daycare workers who were at least twice Haneul’s age watched as she walked by. The lady turned to the other and smiled.

“It’s a shame she has no siblings, she would have been an amazing older sister.”

 

🎀 - - - 🎀 - - - 🎀


Jungkook threw his duffel bag onto one of the benches in the locker room and sat down. The other boys in his class walked towards their own respective lockers and began to change.

He bent over to untie his shoelaces and took off his shoes. He then got up, turned around, and reached into his locker to grab his extra change of clothes. The current t-shirt and sweatpants he had on at the moment was sticking to his body because of the sweat.

He had just slipped the old t-shirt over his body and pulled the new one over his head when his phone rang. With his shirt still hanging awkwardly over his shoulders, he answered the call.

“Hello?”

“Yo, we’re going out for Korean barbeque tonight, are you coming?” Mingyu asked from the other line.

“What time?”

“We’re meeting there in another two hours. Is your dance class done?”

With one hand still on his phone, he used the other free hand to pull down his shirt.

“Yeah. I’ll go back to our dorm and shower and then I’ll meet you guys there.”

“Alright, cool. See ya.”

After he was done changing, he slipped into a pair of sandals and gave a small wave of acknowledgment to the others in his class before leaving the locker room. He put the headphones over his ears and made his way across the campus towards his residence area.

He reached into his pocket to grab his phone when he felt it vibrate with the notification of a new message. It was a message from his group chat with his friends.

LOLOL JIMIN JUST GOT REJECTED FROM THIS GIRL IN HIS ENG101 CLASS
Sent from Taehyung Kim

omfg stfu
Sent from Jimin Park

luv ya babe
Sent from Taehyung Kim

F u

Sent from Jimin Park

He smiled and shook his head in amusement. They really did not change. It might have also made it worse that they were now roommates at university. He paused at the intersection and typed in a reply.

you guys are annoying as hell
Sent from Jungkook Jeon

omg noooo kookie hates me now :’( my hearteu
Sent from Taehyung Kim

stop using hearteu that joke died a long time ago
Sent from Hoseok Jung

your english is a joke
Sent from Yoongi Min

omg hyung you can’t say that… his hearteu will be broken too
Sent from Jungkook Jeon


i hate all of you
Sent from Hoseok Jung

 

🎀 - - - 🎀 - - - 🎀

 

Haneul woke up the next morning when her alarm went off. She reached over to grab her phone and turned it off. She was about to get out of bed to wash up and get ready for her day when she realized she was called off work today.

Either way, she was already awake and could not get herself to fall asleep again. Instead, she got up and went to the washroom to brush her teeth and wash her face.

She came out a few minutes later and walked towards Minjung’s room. She saw the door was left open and peeked her head inside. Minjung was still asleep but Haneul knew she did not work on Saturdays so she walked over and jumped on her friend’s bed.

Minjung startled awake and stared up at her friend in horror.

“What are you doing?” She asked as she pulled the blanket up over her face. Haneul lay her body perpendicular to hers and sprawled herself all over the bed.

The girl let out a long, exaggerated sigh. “I’m bored and I have nothing to do today.”

Minjung yawned as she looked over to see what the time was. “Do you not have work?” Haneul looked up at the ceiling. “Nope.”

“I have a date with Hoseok later today but I’m free until the evening comes?” Minjung meekly grinned. Haneul rolled her eyes. “Yeah, I remember. This is probably what you felt like when Jungkook dragged me out everyday.”

“Yeah, I still need to get him back for stealing my best friend away from me for so long.” Minjung frowned as she lightly pushed Haneul off so she could get up. She turned to her friend still lying on the bed. “What do you want to do?”

“You decide. I am up for anything.” Haneul responded. “And how’s it going with your boyfriend?”

“We meet up every weekend when we have time, remember? But he’s been busy with his courses. I’m not even surprised that all of them went into something music-related.”

Haneul nodded. “I wouldn’t be surprised if they suddenly told us that they were going to debut as a new idol group.”


“How’s it with Jungkook?” Minjung asked after she came out of the bathroom a few minutes later. Haneul looked up from the bed. “Same old, same old. Nothing new.”

Minjung made a face. “You guys are so boring. I’m just amazed you guys have kept up this long distance for so long. Long distance relationships are hard.” Haneul stuck out her tongue at her friend as a response.

“Not if the two people are willing to make it work.”


“But don’t you miss him and feel anxious when you can’t see him everyday?” Minjung asked with a concerned frown. Haneul shrugged. “Of course I do but what can I do? We’re living separate lives and it’s not like I have to know what he does every minute of the day.”

Minjung nodded in understand. “That’s true.”


The two of them sat together and ate breakfast before returning to their own rooms to change. They then took the bus towards the mall downtown. Once they made it to their destination, they stopped in front of the place before going in.

“Okay, I did say I was ‘up for anything’ but this,” Haneul whispered as she stared up at the salon. Minjung grinned and pulled her friend inside.

“We can spend a whole day getting ourselves pampered.”

Haneul groaned. “Oh no, can’t I just wait for you in the food court?” Minjung shook her head and wagged her finger.

“Nuh huh, honey. You said you were up for anything.”

“I have made a very big mistake.”

🎀 - - - 🎀 - - - 🎀


Jungkook got off the bus in front of the restaurant and walked across the street towards the plaza where the restaurant was located. He pulled open the door and was immediately greeted by a waitress.

“Good evening, do you have a reservation?”

He shook his head and pointed towards the table in the corner where his friends were. “I’m with them.” She nodded with a smile and held out her hand in a gesture for him to walk by.

“Whoa, he’s here!” Mingyu grinned. Jungkook chuckled and sat down beside him. He looked up at the other guys and his eyes rounded.

“Aren’t you two also studying music?”

The one guy nodded first. “Yeah, but I’m studying mainly just dance performance. This guy here is in dance with me as well.”

Jungkook shook both of their hands before settling down into his seat again.

“Oh yeah, he’s also from South Korea. His name’s Yugyeom.” Mingyu added. The boy named Yugyeom nodded. “And I think we’re all the same age.”

Jungkook turned to the boy who had not spoken up yet. “And you?”

“I’m from Thailand but I’ve studied Korean enough to speak it. My name’s actually way too long and difficult to pronounce so sticking with BamBam is probably the best way to go.”

“Whoa, your Korean is really good.” Jungkook complimented. BamBam grinned. “I know, right?”

“And wait, why do you call yourself BamBam?”

The boy seemed embarrassed as he spoke. “It’s a nickname my mom gave me. You know the show ‘The Flintstones’ right?” Jungkook nodded.

“Yeah, that’s where it came from.”

Before Jungkook could reply, Yugyeom beat him to it.

“It’s a weird nickname.”

BamBam turned to him and nudged him in the shoulder, earning a yelp from the other boy. Jungkook and Mingyu laughed at the scene.

“You two remind me a lot of these two friends I have back in Korea.”

The food came after a while and they began to grill their own meat. They conversed with each other as they ate.

Jungkook learned that Yugyeom had actually gone to Mingyu’s high school but they never really talked to each other before because they were in different classes. He also learned that BamBam had transferred into Yugyeom’s class at the start of high school, which explains why they seemed to know each other very well.

Apparently they had become friends within the first week they met each other because they both joined their school’s dance crew.

It was now dark by the time they finished eating and they stood outside, deciding what they were going to do next.

“If you guys don’t have anything else to do, you could come to our dorm to hang out for the night.” Yugyeom suggested. Mingyu and Jungkook exchanged looks before shrugging.

“I don’t mind.” Jungkook spoke up first. Mingyu nodded also. “Me neither.” BamBam grinned and threw his arms over their shoulders to lead the way.

“Then it’s settled! We can hang out, watch movies, play video games and eat junk food together.”

Yugyeom slapped a hand over his face and groaned. “Nobody says that anymore. Grow up.”

Jungkook laughed, finding it even more hilarious that Jimin and V were probably bickering in a similar fashion.

He drifted out from under BamBam’s grasp to check his phone. When the other boys turned to see where he was at, he waved a hand telling them to go on first.

He knew Haneul was still asleep by now so he decided to send her a voice message as opposed to calling her.

“Hey, just wanted to tell you that I missed you. Wake up with a smile and good luck with your day, princess.”

 

🎀 - - - 🎀 - - - 🎀 - - - 🎀 - - - 🎀

 

Author's note: Omg, hi! I'm so happy you guys liked the first chapter! I hope you guys liked the second one too! And dont worry too much about this becoming angst because I don't like it either so I'll do my best to make it as less heart-wrenching as possible!

Anywhoo, have a wonderful day and keep those comments coming ! <3