Part 4

That Person, You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Note: Italic means flashbacks or inside thoughts on some parts. The present is the normal text. Pardon for grammatical errors and misspelled words.

 

 

----

 

That Person, You

 

Part IV

 

 

Taeyeon didn’t know how it started. When she joined and signed a contract in SM, the only thing running in her mind was to sing in a bigger stage where a lot of people could watch her, to appreciate her voice, and the song she wanted to deliver. It never crossed her mind that the agency would line her up to a group of girls who were striving to debut and be an idol— singing and dancing like how she has seen on TV.

 

For Kim Taeyeon, meeting Jessica Jung for the first time didn’t give trace or sparks that she could treat extraordinary. There was nothing remarkable or even worthy of her attention that day. They’d simply meet, exchanging hi and hellos and introduced each other’s name. Taeyeon never intended, but eventually, they’d become friends. As days passed by, their friendship bloomed, and as she found herself gazing at her, Taeyeon realized, Jessica Jung wasn’t that hard to like— she was pretty, cute, and charming in her own way.

 

It was springtime when Taeyeon was standing on the side road— her foot moving to the beat as music booming through her earphone. Like in a movie— time went to slow motion, the words drifted across her mind— and Jessica Jung was waving at her with her usual shy smile while the wind blowing through her hair. It was as if time stopped for Taeyeon to stare, to adore the beauty that is walking towards her. Taeyeon couldn’t help but return the smile as warmly as it was. Instinctively, she reached Jessica’s hand to intertwine after the girl crossed the street. And for the nth time, Kim Taeyeon admitted to herself again, Jessica Jung wasn’t hard to like. The next morning, Taeyeon woke with a start— she’s falling in love.

 

No one else made Taeyeon curious like Jessica did when she preferred talking sarcastically as if there were resentments in her every word, but in truth, it was simply an honest and genuine opinion from her. She never met anyone that could make her laugh the way Jessica did when she always caught daydreaming before snapping back to reality at the mention of her name. She never met anyone as modest as Jessica even though she acted like she was sort of high and mighty. And no one could inspire her and feel good about life the way Jessica could.

 

Being with Jessica makes her feel worthy and complete.

 

Being with her feels like home.

 

----

 

Taeyeon jerked up from her seat, opening her eyes widely when someone from the back of the car kicked her seat. She grumbled, giving her members a sharp look. Taeyeon saw Yuri pointed at Yoona.

 

“Unnie~ I’m sorry.”

 

She sighed. “It’s okay, but please can you guys stop kicking when you got too excited?”

 

Yoona nodded, though her face was still apologetic. “Alright, unnie. Sorry.”

 

“C’mon Taeyeon, since morning you’ve only wanted to sleep. What did you do last night that made you worn out and lacking in sleep?” Sunny cut in, looking at their leader who was seating on the passenger seat.

 

“Nothing.” Taeyeon talked softly while leaning on the backrest. “Just tired of our practice.”

 

“That’s right unnie, it’s so tiring that I feel like to eat lots of rice and meats every time we finish practicing.”

 

“There’s no difference, Yoona. You always wanted to eat a LOT even we’re not practicing.” Sunny rolled her eyes.

 

“Excuse me. I’m not the pig one in this group.”

 

Taeyeon chuckled, hearing Yoona’s retort. “Lucky you and be thankful, Fany isn’t here in the car or else…”

 

“I’m really thankful unnie if Fany unnie is here we might get a flat tire.” And she laughed loudly while Sunny tried to knock her head.

 

Taeyeon smiled, shaking her head. Yoona really loves to annoy Tiffany. The good thing was that Tiffany was a sport, not taking all the teasing seriously.

 

Taeyeon picked her phone, staring at it. She was feeling bored now. ‘What are you doing today?’ She clicked her message app, reading their last night’s conversation. Taeyeon’s lips tugged upward. She couldn’t believe she acted like a teenager who spent hours messaging and calling her crush instead of sleeping early. If only their schedule weren’t that—.

 

“Sica is getting prettier every day.”

 

Taeyeon’s ears perked up, hearing Yuri mentioning her name. She closed her phone, turning to look at Yuri. Taeyeon saw her friend/groupmate staring at her phone, scrolling.

 

“Are you stalking, unnie?” Yoona joked.

 

“Nope. Just saw her photos for Marie Claire.” Yuri shook her head. “Wah…I didn’t know this side of her. Look at this picture, Yoong.”

 

“What?”

 

Yuri showed her phone to Yoona and Taeyeon had the urge of joining them but she stopped herself.

 

“Sica always wanted to show that side of her, you know. That she could do better than posing cutely with uncomfortable and childish clothes.” Sunny said. “But, staying in the group stopping her. It’s good to see now that she's doing what she has always wanted to do.”

 

Yuri chortled. “Do I sense some bitterness from you?”

 

Sunny smacked her in the arm. “Shut up, Yul.”

 

“But seriously, she looks happy.”

 

Sunny put the travel pillow on her neck, resting her back. “Obviously, she loves what she was doing. Or…”

 

“Or?” Yuri anticipated her next words.

 

“Or it can also be because she’s in love?”

 

Taeyeon stiffened. She coughed.

 

“With who?”

 

“Tyler? I’m not sure. I don’t know.”

 

Taeyeon coughed again.

 

“Do you believe that ? That they are together? Living in the same apartment, expecting a child whatsoever?”

 

“I said I’m not sure. Remind me to ask Sica when I talk to her.” She crooked up her brow. “Why are you asking me anyway? You’re supposed to be her seobang, you should know the truth about it.”

 

“Uhm…I kind of embarrassed asking her about her personal life.” Yuri scratched her head.

 

“Ditto.” Sunny nodded. “But, if you think of it, it’s not impossible either. They are close, they are business partners, and they have the same group of friends. And I heard they’d traveled together, though I don’t know if it’s true. You know people love to talk.” She paused. “Well, all are fine reasons for them to be together. And besides, it seems Tyler is close to her parents and sister.”

 

Taeyeon coughed repeatedly.

 

“Unnie… are you okay?” Yoona tapped Taeyeon’s shoulder worriedly.

 

Taeyeon turned to them, giving them an ‘okay’ sign and awkward smile.

 

“Aish! That’s what I’ve been telling you. You should sleep and rest early, Taeng. I don’t want you to get sick.” Sunny was feeling concerned.

 

“I’m alright, Soonkyu-yah.”

 

“Fine.”

 

Yoona held Yuri’s arm to lean. “I suddenly miss, Sica unnie. Should we try to call her?”

 

“Yoong, Jessica seemed a busy person. We don’t know what she’s currently doing right now, you probably bother her at this hour. She might have some important works.” Taeyeon spoke while looking outside.

 

Yoona pouted.

 

“Right! We can always message her, Yoongie. What’s the use of all these apps?” Yuri typed on her phone then send it. “Ah, Look! She’s typing, she’s replying.”

 

Taeyeon lifted her head, wanting to snatch Yuri’s phone to see. She briskly picked her phone to check if there was a reply to her message. None.

 

“Guys, she said it’s okay to have a call. Woo…yah, Sica is the best.” Yuri closed the messaging app before clicking another app on her phone. She waited before Jessica answered the video call.

 

“Hey.”

 

“Hello! Sica!” Yuri waved. “We’re here on the car.”

 

“Oh? Who’s with you?”

 

Taeyeon bit her lower lip, frowning.

 

“I’m here, Sica-yah!” Sunny moved, to have a better view of Yuri’s phone.

 

Yoona pulled Yuri’s hand that holding the phone. “And with me! I miss you, Sica unnie!” She even used her child-like voice.

 

“Aw, ~ Yoongie! I miss you too! I miss you guys!” Jessica yelled while laughing.

 

“And by the way, Taeyeonie is also here.” Yuri gestured the phone to Taeyeon’s side to let Jessica view her.

 

“Oh…”

 

----

 

Jessica yawned, seeing one message on her phone. She rubbed her eyes, fixing her hair a bit before clicking her video app. She smiled immediately when the person answered, appearing on the screen.

 

“Hi.”

 

“Hello.” Taeyeon didn’t look. “You shouldn’t call, it’s not yet morning there.”

 

Jessica frowned. “Aren’t you happy that I called?”

 

“Taeyeon.”

 

She still not looking on the camera. “It’s not that, I’m just thinking you've lacked in sleep.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter